Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
My A.B.S. failed with a GT3 behind me who was nice enough to send the video. Its turn 1 at Virginia International Raceway (V.I.R.) Not a lot of fun to slide off track at 100+m.p.h.

#3 ·
Yeah should have been a little brown...that guy was a good driver. glad he sent the vid.

#4 ·
Damn, you walked away from him in the straights. Good to hear your OK. Hows the car?

#35 ·
Damn, you walked away from him in the straights.
agreed... you destroyed him on the straight aways...
I guess I must've missed that part. I saw the Porsche come out of Oak Tree, ride up the back of the V, and then ease off and hang right with the V until they crested the rise on the back straight. At that point, based on how quickly the V opened the gap down that little hill, my guess is the Purshuh driver either braked very early, or just backed off to let the V go.

The V seemed to be carrying quite a bit more speed through the corners.

Sorry for the temporary threadjack, but back to the Outtie R8 for a moment. What the heck happened? I mean, the guy didn't seem to do anything dramatic to make that happen unless it was nearly imperceptible. Did his rear tire slip off the track?
If the road was flat, he'd probably be ok. But as he came over that little hill, the suspension got unloaded,,,,and snap.
As the others said, it appears he backed off a bit because he was closing on the Viper quicker than he may have expected. Add that lift off the throttle with the slight crest that you come over as you take the first right in the Uphill Esses and around she goes. You can see plenty of skid marks on the track that go the same way, so he's certainly not the first person to find out that lifting there is a bad idea. An expensive lesson to learn!

#6 ·
lol yeah when I saw that big wing pass the GT3 on the inside I thought dang that ricer can corner! Oh wait, thats a caddy! lol

I wish I could watch the whole thing but for some reason my computer wont let me get past 1:23 seconds. I guess I'll have to wait until I get to work.

#13 ·
For some reason this reminds of tortes and the hare. lol

#14 ·
Nice work on the that Porsche up until the ABS Fail. That would have scared the crap out of me...Kinda reminds me of this guy but only worse.

#22 ·
can someone post the link to this vid? these pc's in afghanistan blow and block alot of stuff... and i want to see the video!!!

#24 · (Edited)
Be safe over there...see below

#26 ·
thanks!!

#27 ·
A.B.S failed because the positive battery cable was touching the block (thanks do dealer error). The wing comes off on the street but man it really does help on the track traqmate shows 2.5+ G.s in the braking zone. Car is ok just 2 dings and a scratch from the brake marker I hit. I did go straight off on drivers left with a couple of 360s. Thanks for the positive feed back hope I got to everyone's questions. I am sure glad It wasn't me in the R8 the instructor had to be pretty scared...

#29 ·
Sorry for the temporary threadjack, but back to the Outtie R8 for a moment. What the heck happened? I mean, the guy didn't seem to do anything dramatic to make that happen unless it was nearly imperceptible. Did his rear tire slip off the track?

V-sam, glad you're okay ... and the car, too.

#31 ·
I guess you'd have to know that sequence of turns as I have yet experience another one of the 15 or tracks. Got to remember VIR is high speed about everywhere and the specific area is all about timing as those turns are banked. If your late like the R8 it's a two feet in event(clutch and brake).

Norm

#30 ·
Just watched that guy spin out... Poor guy I feel his pain!

#33 ·
If the road was flat, he'd probably be ok. But as he came over that little hill, the suspension got unloaded,,,,and snap.

#34 ·
That is very possible as well.

#39 ·
The R8 lifted on the throttle just as he was cresting the "hump" the rear of the car gets very light there. It only takes a little input on the throttle or wheel and boom your off track. Feel sorry for the guy it was once a nice car.

#42 ·
A little over correction going on there.

#45 ·
Nope just the positive battery cable touching the block. Thanks for the support fellas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.