: under the hood question

luciano23
04-23-09, 07:04 PM
i dont yet have a sts but im closing to buying an 05...

question...is it difficult performing maintenance under the hood with all that black that seems to cover almost everything? or is that removable? thanks for any help

ifmracin
04-23-09, 09:39 PM
It comes out easily in 3 separate pieces.

rb92gt
04-23-09, 09:55 PM
I think the STS Northstar is probably the easiest car in history to perform an oil change on. There is only one drainplug and it is inches from the oil filter. The oil filter screws onto the bottom of the engine at a perfect upright angle, so you can fill the new filter with oil prior to screwing on the filter, and then all the oil doesn't run out like with most cars that have the filter screwed onto the side of the engine.

Only thing needed is a something to slightly raise the front of the car so I can easily fit underneath, just one piece of 2x12 wood under each front tire safely raises the front end enough.

Takes 15min to change the oil. All that black plastic on the top of the engine comes out in about 10 seconds.

luciano23
04-23-09, 11:15 PM
thanks alot guys i appreciate it

cnotesonly
04-24-09, 03:06 PM
No Sh!#!, Thanks, to $60 worth of savings. Great picture! I drive mainly freeway miles and my DIC estimates my oil change every 10K mi(3 mos). Would a K&N oil filter be a waste of money? Would I have to change it at every oil change?
Thanks!

rb92gt
04-24-09, 11:23 PM
I have a K&N air filter, put it on at 10,000 miles, just cleaned it for the first time at 50,000 miles, and it wasn't all that dirty. In case you didn't know, you wash them with K&N solvent, let them air dry, and then reoil them with K&N filter oil, they last forever. I put one in my 1992 Mustang in 1994, and it still looks brand new after multiple cleanings.

rb92gt
04-24-09, 11:32 PM
Other oil change info:

Drain plug is 13mm
GM AC Delco oil filter PF-61 costs only about $4, and if you find Mobil 1 or Valvoline Full Synthetic on sale, you can save a bundle! YES, you can use Valvoline Full Synthetic, it is GM4718M rated (as recommended in owner's manual).

At 8,000 miles, my oil life meter usually reads about 20-30%, but I am still getting use to waiting so long between changes, so I change it anyway. I am sure you are fine changing oil at 10,000 miles.

Use a good size drain pan, as 8qts is alot!

bbshriver
04-25-09, 12:21 AM
As an aside to this post... the new car trend of covering everything up with all the plastic shrouding has always bugged me. Is there any downside to removing it all and just storing it somewhere safe? Does it provide any noticeable acoustic damping or anything, or is it just for that "clean" underhood look?

rb92gt
04-25-09, 02:33 PM
I believe my car is quieter on the highway with the plastic on, the front radiator one has sponge like insulation under it and it seems to make wind noise a little better.

next2pool
04-25-09, 03:28 PM
As an aside to this post... the new car trend of covering everything up with all the plastic shrouding has always bugged me. Is there any downside to removing it all and just storing it somewhere safe? Does it provide any noticeable acoustic damping or anything, or is it just for that "clean" underhood look?

They have been there primarily for appearance, but lately (esp with the direct injection engines like the 3.6) the injector noise is high enough that the shrouds do help. However, you can safely run without them.

MoodySumo
04-25-09, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, yeah I agree Next2pool the injector noise is very loud as it is, it kinda bugs me a little but you get use to it to me it sounds like I'm driving a diesel sometimes. About the oil change, it does look pretty easy but do you have to take it in to get the DIC read back to 100% oil life or is there just a sensor that reads the oil level and estimates?

rb92gt
04-25-09, 11:32 PM
Scroll through the DIC until you get to the engine oil life reading, then hold down the reset button for several seconds and then it will reset to 100%. The reset button is the same one that reset everything else in the DIC... i.e. the trip odometers, avg mpg, etc.

MoodySumo
04-26-09, 04:05 PM
Scroll through the DIC until you get to the engine oil life reading, then hold down the reset button for several seconds and then it will reset to 100%. The reset button is the same one that reset everything else in the DIC... i.e. the trip odometers, avg mpg, etc.

Interesting, So, I just bought my car about 2/3 months ago and I was going on the fact of the DIC reading with engine oil life. that could be wrong?? I think I'll go get an oil change done just to be safe.

rb92gt
04-26-09, 05:46 PM
Ya, it could be wrong if someone reset it without changing the oil and filter. I believe it is not actually based on the "quality" of the engine oil, but rather on your driving habits... city vs highway, high rpm vs low rpm, etc.

C&C
04-27-09, 07:26 AM
Correct, there is no oil quality monitor sensor. The oil life display is a usage algorithym based on start ups, distance, engine run time, etc.

Unless the previous owner reset the timer without changing the oil you can probably just use the display as a basis to change your oil next. (But I think, if it were mine, I would change the oil and filter and reset the display myself).