: 1992 Cadillac Brougham Starting Issues??????????

CaddyGI
04-22-09, 03:16 PM
:confused:
I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD with the 5.0 Chevy engine.

On the drive home car was hesitating and would only go when gas pedal floored and only start this way.
After installing new plugs, new wires, new distributor, car wouldn't start at all.
Found out to much gas is flooding replaced fuel regulator and same problem
had throttle body rebuilt and new injectors car ran for ten minutes or so then engine idle started to pick up and car eventually flooded out, also noticed catalytic converter turned red hot. Haven't tried to start again since i have to clean the plugs of excessive gas and build up each time.
I know its alot but any help

creeker
04-22-09, 10:51 PM
:confused:
I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD with the 5.0 Chevy engine.

On the drive home car was hesitating and would only go when gas pedal floored and only start this way.
After installing new plugs, new wires, new distributor, car wouldn't start at all.
Found out to much gas is flooding replaced fuel regulator and same problem
had throttle body rebuilt and new injectors car ran for ten minutes or so then engine idle started to pick up and car eventually flooded out, also noticed catalytic converter turned red hot. Haven't tried to start again since i have to clean the plugs of excessive gas and build up each time.
I know its alot but any help

What's the mileage?.

mjs182004
04-23-09, 12:20 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter?

VortecCaddy
04-25-09, 03:19 PM
You may want to cheeck the EGR valve and its vacuum lines. One way to tell would be to disconnect the vacuum line going into the EGR itself. I had this happen and it threw no codes at all.

CaddyGI
04-27-09, 09:04 PM
116,000 miles on car

Haven't checked egr valve will look into it
Gas Filter was replaced during tune-up

AJxtcman
04-28-09, 02:28 PM
I replaced a lot of coils back in the day on these cars.

steelybill
06-07-09, 08:30 PM
Maybe a long shot here, but the converter may be part of the problem (??) The fuel injector pulses are a function of the computer (ECM) and the distributor module. It may well be the module getting close to failure (been there) The fact that the idle picked up speed seems like it went lean, but that doesn't agree with what you say about flooding etc. Idle air control is supposed to control that speed I believe ( it's screwed in the side of the throttle body)
How about a leak in the injector seal ring(s) in the throttle body ?
If the throttle position sensor is wacky the ECM wont control idle.

The other common problem with all cars; leaky/old/cracked vacuum hoses. Do a GOOD visual inspection of everything, and push/pull things to make sure they are secure and not loose, cracked etc.

Like VortecCaddy said, the EGR valve may be open at idle (not good/ stuck etc) and cause a rough idle.
Lots of stuff can affect this problem.