Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  shadybx7 
#1 ·
Just purchased a '07 CTS-V. Manual 6spd.Took her on a back road and punched her twice with the end result being a fish tail both times. Is there something either in the traction control or a possible mechanical issue that is causing the backend to fishtail? Thanks for your responses.

#2 ·
Wrong forum there buddy, but the answer to your question could be the 400 hp getting delivered to the rear wheels. Did you push the traction control button at all before driving? Normally the stability system catches the rear end before it actually kicks out.

#4 ·
LOL if its stock it's more along the lines of 340 getting to the wheels LOL ( just had my stock 07 dynoed)

Mashing the gas down in any car will kick the rear out a little depending on the driver and the road. Run lats dont help any either. If i am rolling about 40ish and down shift and take off I spin but no fish tail that i have noticed or havent quickly corrected... Even from a stop and say 3500RPM launch i spin but no fish tail. there are a bunch of suspension places that build better stuff to help get the power to the ground but as i have found out almost all the these items are for 04-05 and some things will work on 06s but hardly anything test fit on a 07... would like to think that if it works on a 06 it would work on a 07 but who knows.

I absolutly hate the TC Stabililty system so I usually turn both off every time i get in the car.

#8 ·
I went with 265 tires and am still unable to avoid fish tailing and the Hop- well gave up on that concept. Just don't launch hard and enjoy the car with its rolling power. especially with the maggie in the front adding more weight in front and more torgue in the back = fish tailiing w/heavy foot :duck:

#12 ·
why you only get 265....thats ur problem....i too would most likely fish tail with 265s
We have stock wheels so we don't have an option to go much wider. Plus these tires were 4 for $450 so they were hard to pass up. They're actually pretty sticky. Send me your CCWs and I will run 285's ;)

#10 ·
I was running the stock tire size on mine, and never had a problem with oversteering. Sounds like a case of being too abrupt with your power application, or you're romping the throttle while the steering wheel isn't straight.

One of the best mods you can do to a CTS-V is the "Driver Mod". Find a track day near you and get some instruction, and you'll be safer and have more fun with your new car.

#13 ·
good thing it wasn't the LS6 or he would have spun out!!

:burn:

driver mod FTW! after i did a few track days i understood my V much better

#17 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought a manual 6sp car with 400hp and when I floor it, it fishtails. What should I do? Please help ASAP!

#19 ·
Wrong forum there buddy, but the answer to your question could be the 400 hp getting delivered to the rear wheels. Did you push the traction control button at all before driving? Normally the stability system catches the rear end before it actually kicks out.
Looks whose talking Mr 09v. Good to have you mingling with us commoners again.

#21 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought a manual 6sp car with 400hp and when I floor it, it fishtails. What should I do? Please help ASAP!
Obviously somebody is yanking chains here. "Oh, gee... I can't handle a powerful car... I don't know what to do! Can you help me?"

Yeah, I can help. Go to your local ACE hardware and purchase a pair of nuts. I had to read this blog and the owners manual 3 times to get my car to fishtail. The stupid stability control nanny kept me between the yellow/white lines without me even asking. "fast vett" and "whisler" should be able to answer this one themselves.

#22 · (Edited)
Qkslvrta
"there are a bunch of suspension places that build better stuff to help get the power to the ground but as i have found out almost all the these items are for 04-05 and some things will work on 06s but hardly anything test fit on a 07... would like to think that if it works on a 06 it would work on a 07 but who knows."

With the exception of the 04-05 diff (which by now have almost all been changed to the 06 version) and smaller dia axles all else on the rear suspension is the same on 04-07 V's

#25 ·
Does anybody else find it a bit 'ironic' that his login name is "fast vett"? I think somebody is just yankin' our chain... The only thing that would make the question valid would be if the OP is really asking if there should be enough nannies to hold back the power enough... possibly buying the car for a kid and wants to know that they have enough nannies to keep them out of trouble in it... If that's the case the answer is NO, when you're running 400hp you can't get away from it having enough power to break the tires loose.

#28 ·
:rofl: "manual 6spd"

adios indeed, these kind of questions should just be considered :spam: and :lock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.