: Removing the phaeton top on a 1979 coupe

caddydave2001
04-22-09, 10:49 AM
Anyone know how to do this, or how hard it is to do? I have some rust issues that in order to address them properly, I would need to remove the top. Or if anyone knows how much it would be (roughly) to have a pro do it, that would be great as well. I need to get this project going soon. I dont want the rust to get any worse.

77CDV
04-22-09, 02:35 PM
It's just like removing any other fabric top, it's only glued on with some bolsters around the rear and side windows that give the top it's pseudoconvertible shape. You won't be able to save the old top material, so a new one will have to be fabricated. Unless you're really good with an industrial sewing machine, I'd leave this one to the pros.

caddydave2001
05-19-09, 12:55 PM
Thanks, but I thought the phaeton's had a fiberglass shell that could be removed in one piece. I must be wrong though.

Highway Star
05-19-09, 01:24 PM
Just hit the "top down" switch on the dash! :eyebrow:

Sorry, I have no clue on removing one of these. My old '84 Eldo had one of those simulated tops, but it never required removing (didn't have a switch either, lol!).

01devilledts
05-20-09, 12:37 AM
Removing a fiberglass wrapped top isn't really that hard to do.

Are you removing this to re-wrap it or are you planning on deleting it all-together?

Basically all you need to do to take it off is, undo any moldings that are around the rear quarter pannel and around the back window.

then you will need some sort of tuck tool or dull butter knife, and you will have to untuck the material from under the front of the top.

Then once the whole front of the top is "un-tucked" then you will have to peel it back about 7-8in. You will see some splotches of black or clear silicone (if done right) and in some cases bondo and under those there will be screws attaching the top to the front header. you will have to take all of them out.

Once all the screws are removes and you can pull up on the edges, there "should" be silicon adhesive or "blobs" of something holding the top down. You will need a garden hoe or something that has a flat blade type head on it with a long handle.

You then should proceede to slide the tool under the top basically slicing through the blobs till they are all off. Then you can just pull the whole shell off to do as you like with it.

There is no other way to save the roofskin, unless you damage the top. but then again there will still be holes drilled all over that will need to be filled if your planning on keeping it of.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of a top that I had removed last week for a body shop. When I get to my shop.