: Damage to car

GenrlRodes
04-22-09, 12:14 AM
Today was not a great day. Upon opening my garage door, I proceeded to back my 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood out from the garage. As I was, the garage door suddenly started coming down.
I was only about one to two feet out, but stopped but the car in drive and moved forward to hurry and avoid what was coming. Unfortunately, I did not and about 9" of the top portion of the 'fins' were scrapped by the door.
Here are a couple photos from the incident. I hope that there is a good body repair man in my area that can fix this without being noticable. It is the original paint on the car... UGGGHHH

Cadillacboy
04-22-09, 01:52 PM
That's just a mishappen and what even makes the things bad to worse is your ride still keeping the original paint .That's just amazing . Anyway, good point is that it was just a small incident which is far away from major repairs

77CDV
04-22-09, 02:30 PM
Well, that's gonna be a couple hundred to do right. I really hate when those things happen. BTW, I LOVE the 65s, esp the Fleetwoods. I think they're one of the best designs Cadillac ever built.

scurling
04-23-09, 03:44 PM
Tough luck. Do you have an infared safety light installed to over ride the dor movement? Now that I can get my cars in the garage, I moved the infared safety door stop/reverse light up about 18 inches off the floor, so it would strike right at the outermost point on the back bumper.

Not sure if that would have helped in your case, but it's worth checking.

Your situation reminds me of the time I backed into the rear quarter panel of my FLTW in my own driveway.

GenrlRodes
04-24-09, 04:28 PM
No. It is an older opener. The only button to control it is mounted on the wall of the garage. I think it is going bad. I have been checking things out as to why it started back down and the button is very 'funky' acting. Time to upgrade I guess...

Get this... QUOTE for the repair. $1850.00 Silver paint is about the hardest paint to fade together and clearcoat can cause flip flopping in the paint...That also, the lines of the car cause the autobody shop to possibly fade further into the car than just a simple job....

77CDV
04-25-09, 04:48 PM
It's true that silver paint is tough to get right. A buddy of mine has a 66 Brougham in silver that was repainted at some point in its life and although it's a decent job, you can still tell where the old paint ends and the new paint begins.

Post pics of the car, esp. the interior! I love the interiors on the 65 Fleetwoods.

GenrlRodes
04-26-09, 12:27 PM
Here are some additional photos of the 65 Fleetwood. Note, that the clock does work and keeps fairly accurate time. Once in a while loses about 5 minutes.

jayoldschool
04-26-09, 01:26 PM
Have to think it would be easier and cheaper to repaint both complete fenders than to try a blend/fade.

GenrlRodes
04-26-09, 06:13 PM
One would even think in the long run, repaint the entire car. It does have some small dings and scratches on the car. But it is 40+ years old on original paint, so it is bound to have some blemishes.

I guess due to the location at the top of the fins it also takes in the trunk needing blended... I dunno. I am not an expert at this sort of thing. In fact, I know little about it. So I am trying to rely on the auto body guy.

77CDV
04-26-09, 10:48 PM
It's only original once, as they say. I'd probably go for the fade and blend if the body guy is good so as to preserve as much originality as possible. Your Fleetwood is a very elegant car, BTW. I really like the embroidered upholstery.

GenrlRodes
04-26-09, 11:34 PM
Believe it or not...I have a lot of teenage and twenty year old girls...yes girls...that love the car. One would not really think that they would be interested in a mammoth Caddy. I know it isn't because of my good looks...lol

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-26-09, 11:37 PM
You should bring that magnificent beast to the August meet in Chicago. :)

GenrlRodes
04-27-09, 01:08 AM
That sounds like a lot of enjoyable moments............

EndlessRyd
04-27-09, 10:12 AM
Its true about the silver paint being hard to match. Someone hit my moms car, a silver Grand Am, and it looks OK, but in certain lights, you can tell the difference between the painted/original panals. My Caddy also had the doors done on the Pass. side, and same thing, in a certain light its a different white, not bad enough to bother me though. Good luck with it.