Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Kmajecki 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, the next "Track Day" at Eagles Canyon is coming up in about 2 weeks (May 9th) at Eagles Canyon near Decatur. I've been once before and definitely prefer it over Motorsport Ranch due to the number of straights. Pricing isn't too bad either. Anyway i know a few guys from the dyno day asked about it. Jerry and David i expect to see your replies :thumbsup: Joe, this would be a great way to test out that maggie and new pulley if it comes in by then :stirpot: I plan to be there 351rwhp and all! lol (Hopefully i can get another dyno at 21st by then)

Pricing:

Register one or more week(s) before event - $150
Register less than one week before event - $175
Register at track the day of event - $185
Register early and save!

See less See more
2 2
#6 ·
Just good brakes/fluids and a helmet!

www.EaglesCanyon.com has the "tech sheet". You can print it and do the inspection yourself or have a mechanic do it. Other than that it's very open to noobs. Last time i went was my 1st time at this track, and 2nd time ever so i still considered myself new. They gave me an instructor and he rode with me the first few sessions, then let me go by myself towards end of the day.

People stress how much fun the track is, but until you've done it yourself it's hard to believe how much fun it really is! If you email them, they may have a helmet you can borrow. Otherwise Smiley's Racing has them in stock in Mesquite for $149

#8 ·
As much as I would love to join y'all, I will have to pass. The 9th is my Birthday and will likely be intoxicated...cant wait to see the videos.

#11 ·
I must say safety is important and all, but dont get overwhelmed by that track prep list. Decent tires, good brakes, and a helmet and you'll be fine. You'll have an instructor riding shotgun most (if not all) of the day and he'll keep you out of trouble. My pads are some cheapo brand and they held up just fine. Only brake "mod" i have is high temp fluid, which is also being used in the clutch as well. The most important thing is to get out there and do it. Once you've done it you can decide if all the other upgrades are worth it. I thought about cross drilled rotors, ss lines etc.. but tracking 4-6times a year just didnt justify the cost.

The sessions are about 20 minutes each, and i think i did 5? Could have done 1 more but just felt that both myself and the car had endured enough for the day. And while the 20 minute sessions do push the car quite a bit, it's not like you're running Lemans or anything ;) As you can see in my videos there were all types of cars. A good running V stock will take most of the people in the newbie class. I passed up a C6, Boxter, Civic SI (something to brag about?), a VW wagon, and a few other cars. Point is your V will definitely be able to own many people in the first run group. The C6 and the Boxter prob could have given a much better fight but the drivers where skerd i guess...

#12 · (Edited)
I'm already committed to the following week (5/16 & 17) at Motorsports Ranch. They will be running the 3.1 full track that weekend. I would be happy to do a full Cadillac day in June or July at Eagles Canyon if you want a longer lead time. I'm sure we could even get a local dealer (hint for support - Crest and Sewell) to supply lunch for the local Cadillac owners. The next day for Eagles Canyon open days is June 20.

#15 ·
Hmm a Caddy day sure sounds like fun. I'm not opposed to doing both, but with the longer lead time we probably could get quite a few more cars if we had one in June.

Motorsport Ranch's 3.1 looks like a bit much for a relatively new guy such as myself, but it looks fun as hell! The extra 1.4miles are where all the hills and turns are, i just think that'd be too much for me to learn each turn entry and exit etc.. I'll wait until i run a few more "easy" layouts before trying that one. I may have to come out there and watch though

#14 ·
AG -

Don't wait for the new wheels/tires. Most instructors would prefer you run good street tires, and your stock equipment when you learn. You will learn how to drive better with equipment that won't exceed your skills until you are ready to upgrade. A day like the one posted above will teach you what your car was built to do, and how to properly drive on a track as well as on public roads.

Most people who haven't experienced the thrill of a fun track weekend are always a bit hesitant until they actually try it out. It is extremely safe in the novice classes, as there is usually no passing unless the driver in front waves you by in a designated passing zone. You will always have an instructor in your car with you showing you what to do and how much your equipment and level of skill can handle. Your car is ready to spend some of the most amazing time you can have in a car. The only real mod for a beginner is to change out the brake fluid to a good hi-temp fluid, and possibly a bit better brake pad. Those changes should run under $200.00, and I would do them on any road car I drive.

Reconsider going to this, or another driving school. Closer to you will be the Driver's edge school www.thedriversedge.net The people who run that school are very good at teaching, and making you feel safe. I was able to get a few other V owners to go down to Texas World Speedway in Bryan last year. From Houston is is a close drive, and they will be running there in June. Check out the site, and I encourage you to get out on a track as soon as possible, and then decide what upgrades you want to make.

#16 ·
Don't wait for the new wheels/tires. Most instructors would prefer you run good street tires, and your stock equipment when you learn. You will learn how to drive better with equipment that won't exceed your skills until you are ready to upgrade. A day like the one posted above will teach you what your car was built to do, and how to properly drive on a track as well as on public roads.
I totally agree with this. I did an Apex Driving Academy event at MSR and they said the same thing. Track tires can apparently cover up many driver errors and prohibit your learning ability. Just track it the way it is, you'll be surprised how well you're car will do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.