: Need a seatbelt

Aron9000
04-21-09, 04:58 PM
The right rear seatbelt in my 1991 Brougham won't retract, I took it apart and the little spring thing flew out, so I need a new one.

Tried the dealer, they said the part was discontinued. Couldn't even get me a part #. I'm thinking a junkyard would be a good place to look. If anybody has a good parts site, let me know. BTW I need a navy blue one, right rear seat, the part with the buckle that you actually pull over your chest.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-21-09, 05:29 PM
That is odd that they couldn't get you a part number. I go into my local dealer all the time and get part numbers for discontinued parts. It makes locating stuff on the internet so much easier.

Aron9000
04-21-09, 05:36 PM
That is odd that they couldn't get you a part number. I go into my local dealer all the time and get part numbers for discontinued parts. It makes locating stuff on the internet so much easier.

I wasn't there in person, called on the phone.

jayoldschool
04-21-09, 05:39 PM
Just an FYI: you can swap your nice belt onto another retractor. Just go to a junkyard, and get a complete belt/retractor from another Caddy/Caprice, etc. Colour/condition of the belt doesn't matter. I can let you know how to swap the good belt onto the good retractor. It isn't hard, but you have to do it right.

Ok, here we go:

Take your old belt, and unroll it all the way. Push the belt up from the retractor, and pull out the pin:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/318000-318999/318157_31_full.jpg

Next, take your used belt with the good retractor and do the same thing, removing the old belt and pin. However, DO NOT LET THE RETRACTOR ROLL BACK UP! Get someone to help you with this step. You have to hold the retractor in the OUT position while you re-insert the belt from your car onto the junkyard retractor and slide the pin back in. Re-seat the belt end, and slowly let the retractor roll that belt up:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/318000-318999/318157_33_full.jpg

The last time I did this, it cost me 5 bucks for a scrap belt (but good retractor) from the yard. It takes more time to get the bolt out than swapping the belt.

Also, when those belts were available, they were over $100 each ;)

Aron9000
04-21-09, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the writeup!! That saved me a lot of grief, I called 10 different junkyards, none of them had a Caddy of my vintage. Even if they did, the seatbelt would probably be the wrong color.

Aron9000
04-21-09, 06:10 PM
When I pick up the retractor, are they different for the pass and drivers side of the car?

jayoldschool
04-21-09, 06:30 PM
Yes, you need the one for the correct side.

Glad to help!

Aron9000
06-05-09, 05:58 PM
Well I tried working on it today. The rectractor design on my car is totally different than what you posted. You'd pretty much have to destroy the belt and retractor to get them apart. What year was your Cadillac?

So I'm still looking for a right rear seat belt, navy blue for my 1991 Brougham. I'll trade somebody for a bright red one that I got from a junk yard, still works great:bigroll:

thefleetwoodguy
06-05-09, 08:09 PM
I wasn't there in person, called on the phone.
are they the same as a 93 fltwd?? if so i should have it

Aron9000
06-05-09, 11:52 PM
are they the same as a 93 fltwd?? if so i should have it

I think the belts would be a different color, a lighter blue.

Anybody know if I can dye my red one blue?