: Missing Manuals; couple newbie questions

stevenriz
04-21-09, 12:41 PM
Hi all, I am missing the manuals for the 2005 STS-4, both the car manual and the entertainment system manual. I was able to figure most things out with the help of the internet but cannot figure this out....
- when playing a DVD, the movie plays but all the default "buttons" are still on the screen; is there a way to clear those buttons out so all you see if the movie?
- I am able to play an mp3 disk on CD-R but wonder if anyone has tried this with DVD-R?

also, are there any links on the internet for manual downloads? I am bidding on one manual on ebay just to have a hard copy but I wouldn't mind a soft copy as well.

thanks!
Steve

AllWheelEric
04-22-09, 05:08 PM
Hi all, I am missing the manuals for the 2005 STS-4, both the car manual and the entertainment system manual. I was able to figure most things out with the help of the internet but cannot figure this out....
- when playing a DVD, the movie plays but all the default "buttons" are still on the screen; is there a way to clear those buttons out so all you see if the movie?
- I am able to play an mp3 disk on CD-R but wonder if anyone has tried this with DVD-R?

also, are there any links on the internet for manual downloads? I am bidding on one manual on ebay just to have a hard copy but I wouldn't mind a soft copy as well.

thanks!
Steve

There are links in this forum for downloading manuals. Look around. There are 3 different manuals; get them all, especially the Navigation manual.

To hide the DVD buttons, press anywhere on the screen where there is no button. Seems obvious, maybe, but I had to be told too.

MP3 on DVD does not work.

stevenriz
04-24-09, 07:11 AM
thanks Eric! I was able to find the one I was looking for thank you!

another radio question. When I have an MP3 disk loaded and playing either as a flat file system (no folders just the root folder) or with multiple folders, the scroll buttons are grayed out. It is weird, I may look every few minutes and I'll see the buttons light up and I try to press them really quick. Problem is the display only shows 4 folders (or songs) at a time and I am not allowed to scroll to the songs I might want to play next. Is this system quirly or buggy like that? Are there software updates I can put on this system?

You will see from the attached screen shot (blurry I know) that the up and down page scroll buttons are grayed out (greened out in this case :) )

anyone else experience this behavior?

thanks!
Steve

stevenriz
04-27-09, 12:32 AM
as a follow up, I am seeing similar behavior with the navigation software. Sometimes when I want to tap "Add" to add a new destination, the Add button is grayed out as well. I can't see any rhyme or reason for this. I hit the back button and try again and eventually the Add button is available to press. Same is true for the envelope button... any thought on how to correct this? thanks all!!
Steve

AllWheelEric
04-27-09, 06:08 PM
You are experiencing an intentional disabling of features that occurs when the car is moving more than 6 mph. there is a way to beat this but it costs time and money. see the "lockpick" threads.

i can't believe nobody else offered this answer. i guess everyone is out at the Pontiac funeral.

stevenriz
04-29-09, 08:15 AM
they are probably at the Saturn wake too...

thanks Eric, let me check when I get back in the car after work today. Thanks for the tip! I seem to recall it wasn't only when I was moving faster then 6mph but I could be wrong. just as wrong as the Govt trying to run a company by people who have never run a company before (this should spark some good (or bad) conversation :) ... funny thing is, the last I heard, Saturn was the only brand making money...

anyhow, I will report back what I find. thx again!

stevenriz
04-30-09, 07:15 AM
sure enough Eric you are right. When I am stopped or in park the buttons light up. I must have been driving when I took that pic with my cell phone camera whoops, bad idea... I will search the lockpick threads to see what I find.

EChas3
04-30-09, 07:39 PM
sure enough Eric you are right. When I am stopped or in park the buttons light up. I must have been driving when I took that pic with my cell phone camera whoops, bad idea... I will search the lockpick threads to see what I find.

Stevenriz,

If you're very handy, you can probably modify the Lockpick that is currently available from Coastaletech.com from the available info. Be aware that the different model years & installed features have different requirements. If you're less confident (like me), you'll want to get someone to help. The expert (Tomm on this forum) is a great guy.

In my case, I started a waiting list for interested buyers. It takes around ten interested buyers for a customization/production run to be worth his time.

:thumbsup:

cnotesonly
04-30-09, 07:53 PM
Would the lockpick in this particular interest also allow the DVD player to work out of Park or is that another lockpick?

EChas3
04-30-09, 08:23 PM
Yes. All lockouts are disabled. Navigation features, Phone, DVD, Aux inputs, etc.

z06bigbird
05-01-09, 10:44 AM
I have not read the posts here, but many of these manuals are on ebay--in addition to what is offered here.