: Priming the oil pump on a northstar engine

Moezy
04-20-09, 11:24 PM
Have u guys ever heard of priming the oilpump by adding twice the ammount of oil in the engine

creeker
04-20-09, 11:31 PM
Have u guys ever heard of priming the oilpump by adding twice the ammount of oil in the engine

I think it sounds crazy,what would happen to all that oil when you started the engine.

Ranger
04-21-09, 12:09 AM
Yes. The pump is not submerged and if it looses it's prime you have to submerge it. Put 16 qts of oil in it and run it. Rev it a few times then drain half out.

creeker
04-21-09, 12:16 AM
Yes. The pump is not submerged and if it looses it's prime you have to submerge it. Put 16 qts of oil in it and run it. Rev it a few times then drain half out.

Wow!, who would of thunk,what are the indications of a dry pump?,what would cause it to lose it's prime?.

Ranger
04-21-09, 12:19 AM
The indications are no oil pressure and an oil pressure message telling you to shut down. Debris holding the check valva open would cause it. Not very common.

creeker
04-21-09, 12:21 AM
The indications are no oil pressure and an oil pressure message telling you to shut down. Debris holding the check valva open would cause it. Not very common.

One more reason to do regular oil changes.

tateos
04-21-09, 05:39 PM
Ranger is correct for why...and how.

I did not lose prime when I did my HG project. I left the oil pump in place - also the lower end. Oil pan and heads and manifolds and chains and tensioners were off. I just left the indicated ignition module connectors disconnected per the FSM and cranked without starting for 20-30 seconds - then reconnected the connectors and it started right up with no oil pressure issues.