Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Paint question

707 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SoJersey05V 
#1 ·
Had my hood repainted three weeks ago and there were small bumps and dimples in the paint so I took it back this morning and they "buffed everything out" which means they wetsanded the troubled areas and then put compound all over the hood and wiped it off... Problem now is that there are swirls all over the fresh paint now from putting on and taking off the compound.. When I first picked up the car I was told wait at least a month before polishing/waxing but now that they've done this, should I still wait? are these swirls easily gonna come out?

#2 ·
im not a paint expert but I'm sure you should wait at least two weeks... and Ill give you a bump.

if you have a black car.. youre gonna have noticable swirls...
Cowan

#3 ·
Had my hood repainted three weeks ago and there were small bumps and dimples in the paint so I took it back this morning and they "buffed everything out" which means they wetsanded the troubled areas and then put compound all over the hood and wiped it off... Problem now is that there are swirls all over the fresh paint now from putting on and taking off the compound.. When I first picked up the car I was told wait at least a month before polishing/waxing but now that they've done this, should I still wait? are these swirls easily gonna come out?
in my experiacne NO....i would take it back and have them do it with a machine...I'm sure you paid good money...make them produce a good product...

#4 ·
So they told you not to polish or wax, but they used compound on it? :hmm:

They should paint it again until it's right. What did it cost to get repainted?

#5 ·
The hood should have been wool pad buffed with compound then sponge pad buffed with polish. imo

3 weeks is enough to play with this. Hit the local paint supply store for a bottle of 3M Imperial handglaze (it's like liquid claybar). Use a microfiber towel with glaze and hand-work on an area of 2' in diameter, rub hard, wipe glaze off with a clean microfiber WHILE STILL WET.

Seal the hood up with a good polish or wax.:thumbsup:

OR: To remove the compound marks... Head back to the bodyshop and have him hit the hood with sponge pad and polish for 10 minutes and finish the job!

Post gleaming pics here...

#6 ·
New paint shouldn't be manipulated too much until it is cured. Once cured you should take care not to be too agressive.

I would ask that they finish the job once they determine it is safe. That is, wetsand, compound, polish, glaze, wax. A new paint job should be nothing short of staring into a cool puddle of oil. If they are worth anything they will agree.

If they don't, you could offer to park you car outside their business with a nice big sign next to it.

#7 ·
thanks all for the comments.. thats basically what i figured, i'll call back tomorrow and see if they can polish it up and make it right... it looked absolutely fantastic when i first got it back besides the raised marks and dimples which i couldnt live with... but now its like swirl heaven which i can't live with either... hopefully they can shine it back up, otherwise i'll have to press the service manager to re-paint it! ughhh..

#8 ·
adam's polishes... swirl and haze remover. then follow that with revive polish, and if you'd like to wax it follow that with the buttery wax! all extremely easy to use! and all can be done by hand. from working at a body shop and being a professional detailer they should have taken care of that there. and with new paint technology you dont have to wait and have nothing to worry about as long as you are using high quality products. if you go to auto zone and get the polish and/or wax they sell for $6.99 you will get what you pay for, a 10oz. bottle with 5ozs being a powdery filler. if it is a lease vehical then do as you wish. if you own or plan to own it, don't skimp out! feel free to email me whenever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.