: Ugliest new V competitor - CLS55

Cal
07-11-04, 03:49 PM
http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3101&categoryId=8

Good lord that thing looks like a Solara!

A blown 5.5 and it still only does what GM claims the V can do? Maybe some of you engineers can translate the hp/tq numbers. Seems like a hog if it has 476hp and can only go 0-60 in 4.7. Since the AMGs are known for their quickness off the line. But it's easy to nitpick an ugly overpriced benz.

Taking bets now on the price of this beast.

trekster
07-11-04, 03:50 PM
That car is going to cost over 100k easily.

Devil_concours
07-11-04, 04:11 PM
700 nm comes out to be 516ftlb
don't forget the fact that e55 amg runs 0-60 in low 4 sec range and does 12s all day long until the intercooler is heatsoaked.

StealthV
07-11-04, 04:12 PM
The 5-speed automatic transmission sucks alot of power compared to the stick in the V. Still would expect more from 476 hp and 516 ft-lb of torque.

This Benz proves that along with BMW, the once grand German sedans don't know a good looking ass end if it kissed them in the face. :)

jl88
07-11-04, 04:58 PM
Price should be around E55 prices.. maybe a tad higher.

It's the same engine as the SL55, but it's quoted as the same power as the E55. They don't want SL55 owners to feel "bad" for having paid more of the same performance

The supercharged 5.4L engine dynos at approximately 420-430hp at the wheels. Add on a pulley and chip and you're looking at a 50rwhp increase.

The stated performance figures from Mercedes has always been conservative.

rueben44
07-11-04, 05:46 PM
The ass is ugly but the rest of the car is to my liking. I would still take the CTS-V over it. Also it seems like BMW and Benz are going up and up with the pricing on their performance models.

Cal
07-11-04, 06:03 PM
Add a $9k intercooled ATI kit onto a V and you are pulling the exact same rwhp for $40k+ less. :cool:

Slick V
07-11-04, 09:22 PM
It does look like a 4 door Solara

-1-
07-11-04, 11:06 PM
:yawn: LOOKS GREAT! CLASSSSSSSSSSSSSY.

Shinkaze
07-12-04, 02:44 PM
http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=3101&categoryId=8

Good lord that thing looks like a Solara!

A blown 5.5 and it still only does what GM claims the V can do? Maybe some of you engineers can translate the hp/tq numbers. Seems like a hog if it has 476hp and can only go 0-60 in 4.7. Since the AMGs are known for their quickness off the line. But it's easy to nitpick an ugly overpriced benz.

Taking bets now on the price of this beast.
Are you joking? This is one sexy beast!
http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2040705.001/2040705.001.1M.jpg

Too bad it's gonna have a slush box and a Merc Suspension though. Even at more performance I would get a BMW M over an AMG as I enjoy speed in corners are well as the straights..... And of course the CTS-V does all that for much less :D

07-13-04, 01:28 PM
I really want to agree that it is ugly...but....well.....

I am sure that with the window sticker showing the MSRP, we will agree that it is ugly.....

globed70
07-13-04, 03:23 PM
Well, it looks a whole lot better than some earlier spy photos.

0-60 is not all about horsepower, you've got weight and traction as large contributors as well. And 4.7s is to 62mph, which may not make alot of difference depending on the ratios in the auto tranny.

But kudos to Mercedes AMG for estimating actual obtainable performance on their cars... rather than this crap that GM spews forth: the "...if you slip the clutch just the right way, and the moon is alighned properly, and the pavement is just right, then occassionally you might see such performance... but of course don't come to us with clutch issues."

Amazing as it sounds, Mercedes is delivering the best straight line performers in the market... to the naysayers, that means WITH A FACTORY WARRANTY and serviceable at nationwide dealers... The E55 is a great example of $80k (yes, options run more) being able to run with almost anything in a straight line. And you know what? Most buyers of performance machinery DO run in straight lines.

Shinkaze
07-13-04, 03:27 PM
Amazing as it sounds, Mercedes is delivering the best straight line performers in the market... to the naysayers, that means WITH A FACTORY WARRANTY and serviceable at nationwide dealers... The E55 is a great example of $80k (yes, options run more) being able to run with almost anything in a straight line. And you know what? Most buyers of performance machinery DO run in straight lines.There are some folks on the AMG board that have their stock E55s in the 11's. The E55 is proving to be the fastest of the 5.5 Supercharged AMG cars despite being the cheapest. At any rate, looking at the dyno charts I really don't think the e60 M5 is going to be able to beat the E55 either.... Heck I have to wonder if the rumored CTS-V "plus" is even going to have enough.

Sort of embarrassing when the Krauts are showing America how to build straight line performance...ACK!

cruzajc1
10-18-04, 02:12 PM
Can't compare the CTS-V and the E55 AMG because the MB is so overpriced, but when it comes to straight line performance the AMG's will blow away the CTS-V hands down. I have seen many videos of the E55 AMG and they can flat out blow away many cars and usually run 11 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

oceanhut
10-18-04, 02:20 PM
Saw it at the NY auto show-- it looks great in person (at least everyone i was with thought it looked great.) They had it listed for around $99,000.

crowan
10-18-04, 05:58 PM
I am as much a performance enthusiast as anyone, but if I want are 1/4 mile times, I would buy a race car and go at like a maniac. In the real world performance has a much broader definition. I have owned a 2004 S55 AMG and my business partner owns an SL55. Both are very fast, but very flawed. The German engineers, in their drive for perfection, have totally drained the "soul" out of the cars. Everything is beautiful and well made, but so cold and sterile. There is no "seat of the pants" rush for the driver. There is nothing to generate excitement for the driver other than seeing the MB star on the hood and knowing that his car costs more than almost everyone else's at any given time on the road. For some people, that is enough to justify the purchase.

The SL55's seats are hard as stones, and a long drive induces driver fatigue that will not quit. I can drive all day in my V and always feel alert and ready to stir the gearbox.

I sold the S55 and bought a 2004 Z06 and a 2005 CVS-V. I still have plenty of cash left for appropriate mods, and the Fun Factor is through the roof! Speed, comfort, style, handling, class, and affordability.

Now that's my definition of real performance.

Carl

lasstss
10-18-04, 06:36 PM
Jeeze, the Taurus has been reborn....with a body line.
Gimme a break!!

Geno
10-18-04, 07:35 PM
The Germans are renowned for their mechanical engineering skills. The CLS55 is a fine example of German engineering and is should be fast for $90,000+. My CTS-V is a $50,000 car, for another $40,000 and a touch of some American engineering I'd have the German (CLS55)sucking wind...and then of course it would be comparing apples to apples.
Their styling is typically German. I'm glad Cadillac decided to do something different.

Vrocks
10-19-04, 12:56 AM
I don't see the CLS55 as a V competitor it costs twice as much and is by no means a sport sedan. Merc calls it a coupe but it has 4 doors :cookoo: and it's only available with an auto. Stlying wise I think it has akward proportions and body lines.

Cal
10-19-04, 01:53 AM
I posted this before anyone knew the price. :yup:

I still think it's pretty much a Solara with leather.

JEM
10-19-04, 12:56 PM
I posted this before anyone knew the price. :yup:

I still think it's pretty much a Solara with leather.

I had a look at a CLS500 a few days ago.

The CLS is a gorgeous shape from the outside. Really. In person, it's beautiful.

And the interior is a work of art. Absolutely gorgeous, everything feels solid and looks expensive.

It better, because from inside the car that's all you can see. The outward visibility is horrible. I'd put it down as dangerously bad, in fact. It makes the Dodge Magnum seem like a RAV4 by comparison.

As for the Solara comparison - that's the BMW 645i. It really is a Solara.

68CoupeDeVille
10-19-04, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't have thought that Mercedes does enough volume to add yet another >$75k sedan to the lineup.