: stock 368 with 200r?

dwpnz
04-19-09, 02:15 PM
under gentle use, would a 200r hold up for a while with a bone stock 368?

jayoldschool
04-19-09, 02:37 PM
The correct answer is "maybe". Do you mean a completely stock, used 200-4R? BIG maybe. More like a maybe not. However, a rebuild will stand up better. Even the stock level rebuilds get stronger parts than the mid 80s 200s. Of course, you can build a 200-4R to stand up to a 9 second turbo Grand National, so it CAN live behind a 6.0 Caddy...

The other issue is gearing. If the car has the 2.28 axle, OD is going to be pretty useless...

greencadillacmatt
04-19-09, 03:57 PM
What year is the car that you are putting the engine in? If it is a 82-84 Cadillac, then you should be fine with the overdrive ratio/diff ratio. I think that the trans should hold up, especially if it's rebuilt. I'll be putting an Olds 350 in my '84, and I have asked my college instructors if the trans and rear will hold up. They have said that it will if I don't beat on it too hard. :lildevil:

dwpnz
04-19-09, 10:47 PM
OK. I have a '80 Fleetwood Brougham that runs great, a '84 Coupe that runs great (for a 4.1, lol), an extra 400 tranny, a '70 deVille with a 12 bolt corporate rear end, a set of 120cc heads, and two 500big blocks. This has all been part of an evil Coupe d-evil-le plan that has been in play for about 2 years now. I want to get the 368 and 400 tranny out of the Fleet then put the 368 in the Coupe until I get started and done building one of the 500 motors and one of the 400 trannys. The '80 Fleet is for sale for $1200 and I'm just not sure I want to sell it. I'm not really concerned about losing the car. I'm concerned that I will be scouring parts yards and the internet for brackets and such for the 500. Also, I think getting all of these parts later is going to be expensive compared to keeping the 368/400 combo and selling the Fleet minus motor and tranny. It driving me nuts. What would you guys suggest doing?

jayoldschool
04-20-09, 09:13 AM
If you are up for the work: swap the complete drivetrain between the 84 and the 80. Sell the 80 sedan with the 4.1 in it. Might actually be less work to body swap them...

This way, the coupe will be ready to go for the 500.

dwpnz
04-20-09, 06:49 PM
Funny thing you happened to mention a body swap. The '80 just seems to feel so much tighter than the '84. The '80 Fleet was adult owned by the first two owners. The '84 Coupe was purchased from the second owner which was in high school when he got it from his mother in 1993. That's a no brainer, huh? I have decided to keep the '80 and maybe part it out when the mechanical cranage is over. I might try the 4.1 in it, but I have a funny feeling it will be a PITA. What a shame though, it has zero dents and a really nice interior. I guess it will live on through the Coupe. In a nutshell, I just can't wait till all of this comes to the moment when I can get in my Coupe.... turn the key.... and start something other than a 4.1:thumbsup: I just want to get the 368/400 combo in the Coupe, work whatever bugs out that may be, build the 500, build the spare 400 tranny, and build the 12 bolt rear. Are there any good reference materials for building GM rear ends? As far as the drivetrain builds, these will be my first. I have always been good with my hands but never got as deep as I am about to go. I love a challenge and I'm sure this undertaking will bring a few. So far I am armed with the "Big Inch Cadillac" book, some Cadillac sevice manuals, and a GM tranny book. I think I am going to go mild with it. If you could call a 500 "mild", anyway.

Aron9000
04-22-09, 03:52 AM
I'd hate to see you hack up a perfectly good car(the 80 Fleetwood). I can understand if its rusted or has body damage, but if its just a paint job away from being a nice car, well its kind of sad to scrap it.

dwpnz
04-22-09, 08:08 AM
As far as the '80 goes, I pulled it from a cow pasture and brought it back to life. It has a little rust on the inside lip of the bottom of the doors and a couple minor spots elsewhere. I am already feeling bad about gutting the car and I haven't even started. A part of me wants to paint it, get a new top, and drive as a bone stock weekend car. The Evl part of me says I don't have much money in it, I would rather spend my money and time getting a big block in the Coupe, and if the '80 has to be the martyr....so be it. I considered finding a 368 parts car, but it is starting to look like a U-Pull-It yard around here already. I have four Cadillacs and I just sold one a couple months ago. If I could find a parts car for REALLY cheap, I could probably deal with another car sitting around for a while.