: Pulled Over for Tint

RByers91
04-18-09, 05:37 PM
While driving back from Oregon I was pulled over for my front tints. I personally have never been hassled by the cops before, and personally dont really know the laws here in Cali (bought the car with the tint). Question is, what is the legal limit for tint on the front windows? Also are there strict laws when it comes to tinting taillights?

Thanks for any feedback

-Ryan

Rolex
04-18-09, 05:57 PM
Google: legal + window tint + california

How dark can window tint be in California?

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

ZaC851
04-18-09, 06:06 PM
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

70% according to that site..which would be pointless...im not even sure you would be able to tell there was tint at that percent. I know I did 35% one time on a car i had and it was only slighly darker than factory. Waste of money

oldworld
04-18-09, 06:35 PM
Next time you drive through Oregon, drive with the windows DOWN lol :thepan:

If it has tits or tires, it needs to be serviced. :alchi:

T-Giv
04-18-09, 08:08 PM
The tails must be visible (meaning the lights when you hit the brakes) from 500 feet away here in Colorado. They are also rather strict on the tint. I believe it's 30% allowed on the front two. I have 5% on my front two sides as well as 50% on the entire windshield and I haven't really had any problems. Just gotta be low key and watch our for cops. Try not to end up sitting next to them at traffic lights and such.

luxurylife33
04-18-09, 08:30 PM
loooks like its the same as NY .... 70%+ is legal. We don't get hassled here for tint unless your being a d-bag speeding and driving recklessly.

mbovinet
04-18-09, 11:50 PM
Legal here in Nebraska is 35% on the front windows and 20% on the rears

bstiffmanofsteel
04-19-09, 04:18 AM
No tint on 2 front windows in Illinois. But you can do the back windows as dark as you want. 5% on the back makes you front look tinted anyway. I did double tint and cops always give me a second glance. I've even been pulled over for it... Just do 5% with the factory tint, you won't be disappointed!

pcguy760
04-19-09, 10:23 AM
I heard that you can get some kinda of special note from an optician if you are very photosensitive (to sunlight) so you can have tint on the front left and right windows...

The Lac
04-19-09, 07:52 PM
I'll give you the real answer. Being that you are in the Bay Area, like I am, here's the rundown.

Absolutely no tint allowed on the front windows. I don't care what any website says, any tint is illegal tint on the front windows in CA.

You can go as dark as you want on all other windows.

Windshield is also illegal, other than the 4" strip along the top. In which case can be as dark as you want.

Tail light tinting is also illegal. Unless, you don't tint over the reverse lights and also the red reflectors on the tail lights. Which makes it pointless.

Rule of thumb is no tint up front and anything in the back. No tint on tail lights, or even a tinted license plate cover.

I'm speaking from experience here.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-19-09, 08:17 PM
I heard that you can get some kinda of special note from an optician if you are very photosensitive (to sunlight) so you can have tint on the front left and right windows...

They will still ticket you, but you'll get it tossed in court. Not worth the bs. (In my opinoin.)

pcguy760
04-21-09, 06:00 AM
They will still ticket you, but you'll get it tossed in court. Not worth the bs. (In my opinoin.)

Damn, I hate waking up early in the morning to go to court for some bs :thehand:

KrazyKeith
04-21-09, 07:28 AM
loooks like its the same as NY .... 70%+ is legal. We don't get hassled here for tint unless your being a d-bag speeding and driving recklessly.

Knocks on wood here first but I agree totally.

In NY they usually wont bother you unless as Luxurylife said, you'r being a douche-bag and driving like a real jerk.

I threw one of those "thin blue line" police stickers on my back window and sometimes I have cops wave at me. :D

RByers91
04-26-09, 04:09 AM
Looks like i'll just have to get it taken off. I was going to retint the car anyways. I'll probably go lighter up front next time. Maybe 35% instead of the 25% i have now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Brocephus
04-26-09, 07:27 AM
Bro, Do not give in that easy. I live in Michigan and tint everything I own. Go to your Doctor and explain to him that you are having "light sensitivity issues" and trouble at night time with bright lights. This will allow you to get a doctors note. In the past I would just pay the ticket, the last time I paid it was $75.00. I went to my doctor and explained the "issues" I was having with light sensitivity and he hooked me up with the doctors note! Works like a champ! I had a 1998 STS with 5% tint ridin on 22's. When the cop stopped me he asked me if I knew why he had pulled me over, I replied I do not know I was not speeding. He told me it was illegal to tint the front windows in Michigan, so I stopped him before he could get any further and showed him the doctors note. His response was have a nice day!

pcguy760
04-26-09, 09:17 AM
LOL, funny that cos when I visited my doctor for a Corneal Abrasion (should have used safety glasses while grinding) she said that I was sensitive to light and then I asked about if I could get this note for tinting my front side windows and she said "You should use sunglasses in bright sunlight" :( LOL - Well, instead of 5% up front, I just did the entire back in 5% and the front passenger / driver side in 35% and I have had several cops (both local and state troopers) drive behind me and next to me when the passed me up and they did not pull me over and then I passed several cops speed trapping, etc. and they did not pull me over. I assume that they look at the back tint and then the front sides and realise it is very light or appears so, so they let it be. Besides it might be cos my license plates now read "Work Hard" (abbreviated that is) lol.

KrazyKeith
04-27-09, 08:14 AM
I got pulled into a parking lot the other day, cops were out in the road checking insurance and inspections, etc.... About a half hr before I drove by with my windows all up. I seen the cop staring at me. So making my way back, in case they were there, I had all my windows down. Well before I even got 200 ft to this dick head cop, he's jumpin up and down and waving you know who in. So I pull in and say well hello officer I know I didnt do a GOD DAMN THING and MY SHIT IS LEGIT ALL AROUND. He goes well your rear windows are to dark, I laughed, I say oh my rear windows are TO DARK? I was like give me a break man, they are the rear windows, I bought the lade like this. He was a younger cop. So he put the light meter on it, 14% of light comes through both my rear and my front windows. (yikes) I was told 70% is supposted to come through. So we went back in forth, I said cmon man I got family in law enforcement, I got my pba stickers, etc, you can see that from at least my thin blue line stickers on the front and rear and trooper pba. So he's like license and regge and insurance, if everything is clean which I assume it is as you have class a cdl with hazmat you'll be on your way. Long story short, he was kinda a prick to me, clearly targeted me because he see's a younger dude in a FLASHY black escalade with chrome all over. BUT after I gave it back to him in a sarcastic but polite manner, he let me looose with a smile on his face. "damn cops"

sam hamm
04-27-09, 09:07 AM
alabama must not be as strict. all of my vehicles have 5% all around with 30% on the windshield.

pcguy760
04-27-09, 02:19 PM
I got pulled into a parking lot the other day, cops were out in the road checking insurance and inspections, etc.... About a half hr before I drove by with my windows all up. I seen the cop staring at me. So making my way back, in case they were there, I had all my windows down. Well before I even got 200 ft to this dick head cop, he's jumpin up and down and waving you know who in. So I pull in and say well hello officer I know I didnt do a GOD DAMN THING and MY SHIT IS LEGIT ALL AROUND. He goes well your rear windows are to dark, I laughed, I say oh my rear windows are TO DARK? I was like give me a break man, they are the rear windows, I bought the lade like this. He was a younger cop. So he put the light meter on it, 14% of light comes through both my rear and my front windows. (yikes) I was told 70% is supposted to come through. So we went back in forth, I said cmon man I got family in law enforcement, I got my pba stickers, etc, you can see that from at least my thin blue line stickers on the front and rear and trooper pba. So he's like license and regge and insurance, if everything is clean which I assume it is as you have class a cdl with hazmat you'll be on your way. Long story short, he was kinda a prick to me, clearly targeted me because he see's a younger dude in a FLASHY black escalade with chrome all over. BUT after I gave it back to him in a sarcastic but polite manner, he let me looose with a smile on his face. "damn cops"

LOL, that sucks - I noticed now that the weather has got nice, they have been pulling more people over but then again when the weather does get nice, people get more crazy on the streets lol so I don't blame 'em for that one. This guy in an old jeep almost side swiped me on Saturday and I almost jumped out of my pants when I looked to my left side and see this jeep like an INCH away from my mirror! I blew my horn like crazy and was like "WTF!!!". I am sure he would have not mined on his vehicle considering that the paint was faded and peeling... :thepan:

RByers91
04-27-09, 05:54 PM
Well i was thinking about the doctors note thing. My dad just happens to be a doctor, although im not sure how well that would go if i gave the cop a not from my dad... I was going to retint the lade anyways so it might just be best to take it off. My front tint is pretty torn up too, it would probably look better without it.

The Lac
04-27-09, 07:34 PM
You WILL NOT get away with a doctor's note in the bay area. That's a joke!

Either take it off or deal with the fines.

Bottom line.

jordan00escalade
04-29-09, 01:25 AM
I got pulled over in San Mateo the first 10 minutes after picking it up. I informed the officer I just purchased the truck and got it home. He checked the paper work and seen I was telling the truth.. He looked at my address and told me I better have the tint removed by next week, cause next time he will be writing me a ticket. I have 5% all around. 0 tolerance for tint on the front windows in California is an accurate statement. You have to pay if you choose to play this game. It's a 127.00 fine, I should know cause I had my windows tinted on my previous Escalade as well.

z06bigbird
04-29-09, 12:35 PM

Present that to judge, and I would not be surprised to have judge present you with a note from the wife of a late LEO who was shot by guys with dark tinted windows. Her note will ask that tinted windows be eliminated--for the safety and well being of other LEOs.

ponicg
04-29-09, 12:45 PM
Present that to judge, and I would not be surprised to have judge present you with a note from the wife of a late LEO who was shot by guys with dark tinted windows. Her note will ask that tinted windows be eliminated--for the safety and well being of other LEOs.

The over exaggeration of the danger faced by LEOs at traffic stops is beyond belief. Not every time a LEO pulls someone over for speeding is his/her life in danger. Not every person walking down the street is out to kill an LEO. LEOs need to remember that the people they're suspecting at every turn of being some cut-throat murderer are the people that they are supposed to be protecting. The sooner we stop the whole 'OMG AM SO SCARED! I CAN HAZ TAZUR!?!' mentality from LEOs, the sooner we can go back to respecting them overall.

Tinted windows are not inherently more dangerous than un-tinted windows. Just ask the states with liberal tint laws and a distinct lack of dead LEOs because of them. The stupid slippery slope argument of 'it puts LEOs lives in danger' is retarded. Make it a law to turn on your inside light and roll down your windows when you get pulled over. If it's raining/etc, then find a reasonable conclusion. Don't outright ban something because some idiots may have used it to conceal intent to harm? What's next? An outright ban on hooded sweatshirts and hats? No clothes, because those might conceal weapons? Seriously. Tint laws are retarded, especially if you have a doctor's note saying you're sensitive to light. LEOs are too full of themselves and have forgotten that their positions are in the PUBLIC SERVICE sector.

/rant!

oldworld
04-29-09, 03:37 PM
DITTO: Could not have said it better myself.
If its not one thing to complain about its another.
watch what you say. watch how you say it, and don't make any expressions while saying it. It has really gotten out of hand...

Since when is it harmful to call a spade a spade?? It's only going to get worse

My two cents

Spittin Game
04-29-09, 04:26 PM
alabama must not be as strict. all of my vehicles have 5% all around with 30% on the windshield.

how do you see at night? Ive always had 5% on all my cars Ive had but left the windshield alone, and when Im backing out of my garage at night I have to roll the windows down so I make sure I dont hit anything, and I cant see the turns at night on some roads, gotta roll the windows down again to make sure I dont hit the median.

Rolex
04-29-09, 05:19 PM
If I was an LEO I would just assume every person I puled over for a traffic stop was carrying a deadly weapon, and treat them accordingly until I found otherwise. I'm not a LEO nut-hugger, but it seems to me LEOs are more likely to encounter the "cut throat" types during traffic stops then the average person is while carrying out their daily activities. It's a hazardous job to say the least.

At the same time I agree some cops take themselves a little too seriously. We have small towns around this part of the state with populations 100-200 people. The cops in these little towns are dressed in military BDUs, wear jack boots, and big tactical leg holsters. I think when you dress "the part" the costume goes to your head. I think they ought to dress in the old fashion blue uniform (something like Barney Fife) and wear those silly octagonal hats. Then maybe they wouldn't behave like militant thugs toward everybody they encounter.

caddyext21
04-29-09, 07:15 PM
i think cops who have nothing else better to do will pull you over for tint. im located in CA, and i pulled up next to a cop at night with the windows rolled up and he didnt do anything. recently i got pulled over twice. once at 2 in the morning on the freeway, i think the cop thought i was some sort or drug dealer or drunk, cuz he did a dui test on me (follow the finger), but didnt get a ticket. then a week later a bike cop was standing on the road and when i turned the corner he pulled me over for tint and gave me a ticket.

obxdiver
05-29-09, 08:25 AM
I just went for my 1st annual state vehicle inspection in North Carolina since owning my Escalade.
I FAILED DUE TO WINDOW TINT
NC now has started mandatory testing of FRONT window tinting at time of inspection
If it falls below 32%, it will fail
Mine was measured at 14%. The previous owner had that installed.
So I had to go to a window tint shop, get the old stuff removed, and new film installed that took me to 33%
I was lucky and was able to get it all done in one day, including re-inspection with a PASSING window tint inspection.
So, in NC, you can't even get an inspection with too dark of a film installed.

z06bigbird
05-29-09, 10:30 AM
Just tell the LEO that you are not subject to any state safety regulations because you do not understand them. Simple request/statement. Those regs are for the plebes.

pcguy760
05-31-09, 11:26 AM
i think cops who have nothing else better to do will pull you over for tint. im located in CA, and i pulled up next to a cop at night with the windows rolled up and he didnt do anything. recently i got pulled over twice. once at 2 in the morning on the freeway, i think the cop thought i was some sort or drug dealer or drunk, cuz he did a dui test on me (follow the finger), but didnt get a ticket. then a week later a bike cop was standing on the road and when i turned the corner he pulled me over for tint and gave me a ticket.

LOL, no comment on that statement - I guess the get bored sometimes...

Funny though, a few weeks ago I had some hillbilly dude in a beat up lookin dodge pick up look all crazy at me (maybe cos he could not really see me because of the tint??? lol) and say something to his gf or whatever that thing was next to him and then revved his truck up at the red light (nowdays I just stay calm and sane in the Caddy lol) - he then takes off and cuts in front of me with no turn signal - in a matter of seconds here comes a state trooper out of nowhere, flies past me and cuts in front of me behind the guy in the beat up pick up (lol at least the trooper used his turn signal!) - the guy in the pick up switches lanes and the trooper turns his lights on HA - OWNED! I laughed my ass all the way home until I went to sleep lol.

Now if only all cops could be like that instead of worry about some damn window tint because we are tryin to make our vehicles look nice - the streets would be so much nicer to drive on - is it just me or is it nowdays people just seems they are out to piss you off on the street??

RByers91
06-14-09, 02:17 AM
I completely understand why its illegal for the tints to be up front, but it doesn't really make sense for them to allow any darkness in the back, doesn't really matter anymore. I'm moving to Oregon, and the tint law is 35% all around, so i think i can deal with that. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

-Ryan