: Where is the ground?

sven914
04-18-09, 06:26 PM
I don't know how this is possible, but apparently my 89 Brougham has been functioning perfectly with out a ground to the battery. :hmm:

I took the left front tire off, to do a rotation and inspect the brakes, and I looked up into the wheel well and saw the negative battery cable laying on the frame rail, with the end NOT touching the metal; just waving in the breeze.

I finished what I was doing and checked to see if the engine would crank, and it started right away. I went back under the hood and pulled the negative cable up and it was not attached to anything, except the battery. So in lieu of knowing what to do with it (and because the bullshit meter had just maxed out; I was half expecting the devil himself to jump out of the bushes and challenge me to fiddle contest :bighead:), I grounded it to the front clip. I don't actually know if the clip is a ground, or if the car is just operating as it was before.

Where was the cable originally grounded?!

csbuckn
04-18-09, 09:16 PM
The battery is grounded on the engine block where the power steering pump/alternator bracket bolts on. I dont know if it would run without. Your probably missing a bolt where it grounds, especially if the belts squell sometimes. Thats how it was for me....I think???

carnut
04-18-09, 11:23 PM
It was grounding thru the engine to frame ground. I agree, that cable should go to the power steering bracket.