Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My V is getting close to completion!

2K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  04vman 
#1 ·
Feel free to merge with the picture thread if you want. Just thought I would through up a few pics and show every body how its coming along.

A few details.

Fully balanced and blueprinted engine
Polished stock crank with all the oil passages chamfered
Callies compstar forged H beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond forged dished pistons
ARP head studs, main studs, cam sprocket, cam retainer, flywheel, and pressure plate bolts
Melling oil pump
Cloyes double roller
LG G5X1 cam (228/232 .588/.574 112 or 114lsa, wont know until I start it lol)
LS7 lifters
1.8 Crane gold roller accelerated lift rockers and chromoly pushrods
Magnacharger for those that cant tell lol
Innovators West 8 rib pulley conversion with 8" overdrive balancer
Kooks 1 7/8 headers wrapped and sealed with no cats
MSD wires
NGK TR6 plugs
Volant intake box (just cause it looks good)
Fidanza LS7 aluminum flywheel
LS7 disc and pressure plate
Bronze shift fork pads
Billet syncro keys
GM accessory wheels
GC 500/550 (soon to be stiffer)
Original Kars III and my own home grown bushing inserts
Katech STS
UUC engine, trans, diff, and shifter bushings
UUC shift knob threaded to fit the Katech
Extended bleeder from LAPD
Motul RBF 600 in clutch and brakes
Royal Purple throughout the the driveline
Ti heat shims for the front calipers
QA-1 shocks sitting on my couch lol
Rear strut bar from Luke

I think thats it...........

Oh yeah

Diff cooler in the works but far from done
Custom a pillar gauge pod that I built (not completly finished but looks awesome and will be finished this weekend)
Procomp ultralight electronic boost gauge
Operation junk in the trunk mod AKA Optima red top in the trunk coming soon
Smoked side markers and fogs with 55w 4500k hids
LED parking lights
DRL delete mod
Well enough talk here are a few pics. Car is not together completely but is getting close. Unfortunately, the car has been outside for seven months so it is very dirty. Please dont look at the dirt lol

See less See more
#3 ·
When the car can move under its own power again I'll get some more pics of the lower stance and wheels but for now, this is all you get.

#4 ·
And yes I'll be getting rid of the orange intake coupler and the green belt if I can find a black one.

#5 ·
:gah:

Why do so many people run the driver side intercooler hose OVER the MAF?

P.S. Badass motor, your car is gonna be so much faster than mine. :(

#6 ·
OP, did you win the lotto? I love your 8-rib setup. :thumbsup:

... Why do so many people run the driver side intercooler hose OVER the MAF? ...
Can't speak for 154, but for me, I customized the HEX/pump/reservoir arrangement, and it would have kinked the hose had I not routed it that way.

#9 ·
Magnuson's install instructions call for the coolant exiting the IC to go to the reservoir then through the HEX. I flipped the HEX and reversed that. My coolant exits the IC, enters the HEX, and then goes to the reservoir. Had to make different mounting brackets (no biggie, really) but it wasn't completely straightforward.

#10 ·
Feel free to merge with the picture thread if you want. Just thought I would through up a few pics and show every body how its coming along.

A few details.

Fully balanced and blueprinted engine
Polished stock crank with all the oil passages chamfered
Callies compstar forged H beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
Diamond forged dished pistons
ARP head studs, main studs, cam sprocket, cam retainer, flywheel, and pressure plate bolts
Melling oil pump
Cloyes double roller
LG G5X1 cam (228/232 .588/.574 112 or 114lsa, wont know until I start it lol)
LS7 lifters
1.8 Crane gold roller accelerated lift rockers and chromoly pushrods
Magnacharger for those that cant tell lol
Innovators West 8 rib pulley conversion with 8" overdrive balancer
Kooks 1 7/8 headers wrapped and sealed with no cats
MSD wires
NGK TR6 plugs
Volant intake box (just cause it looks good)
Fidanza LS7 aluminum flywheel
LS7 disc and pressure plate
Bronze shift fork pads
Billet syncro keys
GM accessory wheels
GC 500/550 (soon to be stiffer)
Original Kars III and my own home grown bushing inserts
Katech STS
UUC engine, trans, diff, and shifter bushings
UUC shift knob threaded to fit the Katech
Extended bleeder from LAPD
Motul RBF 600 in clutch and brakes
Royal Purple throughout the the driveline
Ti heat shims for the front calipers
QA-1 shocks sitting on my couch lol
Rear strut bar from Luke

I think thats it...........

Oh yeah

Diff cooler in the works but far from done
Custom a pillar gauge pod that I built (not completly finished but looks awesome and will be finished this weekend)
Procomp ultralight electronic boost gauge
Operation junk in the trunk mod AKA Optima red top in the trunk coming soon
Smoked side markers and fogs with 55w 4500k hids
LED parking lights
DRL delete mod
Well enough talk here are a few pics. Car is not together completely but is getting close. Unfortunately, the car has been outside for seven months so it is very dirty. Please dont look at the dirt lol
thats funny, I have the exact same mods! thanks for typing it up. I'll print this and file it in case of theft, arson, etc.

#11 ·
Any reason in particular that you decided to run it that way? My guess is to let the water cool off even more instead of storing hot water then pushing it through the HEX. Now you are cooling the water and storing cooled water that will only get cooler while its waiting to be pumped to the IC. Did I analyze that correctly?

#12 ·
If I recall correctly, Randy was figuring that pumping the hot water through the HX right after the IC would allow the HX to be most efficient in it's removal of heat from the water.

#14 ·
1. This is a legit MOD thread. Not a lugnut or taillight thread. It does not need to be merged.
2. A few details??? Didn't even have time to read all that lol
3. Reds got to go. But the green belt,,,,,,
4. Spray the HEX, or it'll stand out behind your grill.

5. I have my hose running under the intake tube. But everything else is a mess :hide:
6. With all that work, you gonna need at least a three gauge pod :stirpot:

#15 ·
Yeah I just wanted everybody to know what has went into this thing the last 7 months. The price tag was fairly large! At least in my book. I did all the work except build the shortblock and trans. I left that up to shops. I installed everything including the engine, trans, and blower.

I kind of wanted the HEX to stand out, thats why I shot the whole front end with some black lol Even though you can see it I dont think many people will know what it is. I just like the look. But I may change my mind in the future. The front end is really easy to get off.

I'll be working on a three gauge pod in the future lol

#16 ·
I actually like seeing the HEX through the front grills. It's subtle enough that a lot of people wouldn't notice it until they looked twice.

Now if you black out the whole front including grills, it won't be so stealthy, but it's not like you're going to fool anyone with that cam anyway!

#18 ·
I cant really give a specific price for just one particular thing. I have bought so many thing lately it all kind of runs together. I can give you rough break down on some prices though.

Shortblock had cam lifters, pistons, rods, and crank already installed. 3500 shipped to a terminal and picked up my me.

Maggie with 8 rib conversion. Ended up about 5k for everything, including the blower getting looked over by magnason before getting to me and also a new hardware pack with new wiring and mounts and random bits. I had to pick up a few items that were damaged upon removal. That was about another 200 from random places.

Thats about $8500 right there for just the engine goodies. I have a bunch of other stuff also.

Total price tag was roughly 15k spent in about 3 months. That includes GC, QA1's, new wheels, tires, and TPM's, rebuilt trans (about 1k in parts $200 in labor) among many other things. I have no idea were all the money went! Oh the joys of being single!

#19 ·
wow that seams pretty good for the motor. i really wanna spend some $ on my car. isnt being single all kinds of fun? as soon as i can find a maggie at a halfway decent price i think i am gonna pull the trigger

#20 ·
Yeah the engine was a good deal. I looked around for a while before I found that one in florida. The engine has 0 miles since assembled. The cam was used but who cares. Its a roller cam. They dont go bad unless you trash a lifter or something. I did change the cam sprocket out for one with a torington. I lucked out and got a crank that had been keyed all the way out to the end of the snout. Just so you know, stock cranks are not keyed out that far. Only keyed for the timing and oil pump drive. The 8" balancer had a key way so I went to ace hardware and picked up a hardened steel key. No drilling the crank! I was relieved because I really didnt want to do that. I bought a 1/4" thick billet washer and a new bolt for the balancer and the washer shattered upon installation. Luckily I had a ARP crank bolt that had the right size washer and it worked perfect. The ARP crank bolt is to short for the the 8 rib balancer.

I went through some mod hell with all this! Its been fun, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

#22 ·
wait4me has my pcm right now. He's flashing my VIN in so the antitheft will go away. I was hoping to get the front end on today but it started raining.

#23 ·
A few more pics. Sorry for the poor picture quality. They are all taken with my phone.

I dont think I have ever posted pics of my seats so here ya go.

And a pic of my led park lights

#24 ·
wow your POD came out slick!!! nice job

hey 814V for $6K you can build a hell of a N/A motor and the same HP numbers at the end of the day...just say'n

ps the V's in the s w a d e look killer too...where did you get that done?

#27 ·
I have had turbo cars and just dont like the hassle and I hate partial throttle boost. I have never had a blower car and wanted to try something a little different. Plus, I dont think that maggie will push the motor to hard and I wanted something that would last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.