: Brake Disc and Pad Change - service manual info?

ghg12345
04-17-09, 05:44 PM
I am going to be changing out pads and rotors this weekend. I have searched and found a few topics of brake changes, and it sounds pretty straight forward. Just in case, is anyone able to help provide the info from the Service Manual that walks through these steps? I found the pad replacement sheets in the forum, but don't see the Disc information - should be in a section referencing Disc Brake Hardware replacement. I would be interested in front and rear please!!

I'm working on a 2004 SRX. Many thanks - this board has been priceless.

n7don_srx
04-17-09, 06:17 PM
As a suggestion, if you have a digital camera take pictures as you disassemble. More than once it's bailed me out.
Might also try your local library for service manual material. Several on this forum have changed brakes pad and rotors so I bet you'll get a helpful response.

ghg12345
04-17-09, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll do that also. I have intended to do it in the past and then always end up suspending a caliper with my arm for ten minutes by the time I remember "TAKE PICTURES!!"

Maybe I'll get my act together this time, and even post a debrief of the fun :-)

conedoctor
04-27-09, 12:02 PM
Only do one side at a time then you will always have a picture to look at :)

The disc should come off by removing the two caliper bracket bolts, should only take an extra few miniutes.

I alsways find it funny how people will take on a super easy job like brakes, you know the part that stops you and makes you not crash but would not even think about touching the engine, driveline or electronics, still just as easy but won't kill you if you screw it up.

sundogger
04-28-09, 06:39 AM
I just did mine on the weekend. Very simple. The pads are easy. As for the disc there is a torques bite screw that needs to be removed and then the disc pops off. I did the complete job in 3 hours and also rotated the tires.