: Wiring Connection to Throttle Body

cdnron
04-17-09, 04:14 PM
I've got a 2004 SRX which I bought used. For some reason somebody has in the past spliced in (replaced I suppose) the section of wiring harness that goes to the throttle body. It's maybe a foot or so long. They used crimped connectors and at least one of them is not making a good connection as I get intermittent problems with it throwing codes related to the throttle.

Right now I have that section of the wiring harness zip tied to the engine to stop it from flopping around and causing problems when I hit a bump, but I need to replace this section of the wiring.

Of course GM tells me you have to buy a complete wiring harness for the car...:helpless:

I also checked the local wreckers hoping I could locate something with a Northstar V8 so I could cut that section of harness out and splice into mine...but no luck. The wreckers around here have pulled most of the wiring out to sell the copper.

Does anybody know if I can disassemble the wires out of the existing connector so that I only have to make one set of splices instead of two in order to fix this? There are 6 wires in the circuit.

I'm open to any other ideas people might have as well.

Thanks in advance.

thunderbyrd01
04-17-09, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=cdnron;1848963]I've got a 2004 SRX which I bought used. For some reason somebody has in the past spliced in (replaced I suppose) the section of wiring harness that goes to the throttle body. It's maybe a foot or so long. They used crimped connectors and at least one of them is not making a good connection as I get intermittent problems with it throwing codes related to the throttle.

Right now I have that section of the wiring harness zip tied to the engine to stop it from flopping around and causing problems when I hit a bump, but I need to replace this section of the wiring.

Of course GM tells me you have to buy a complete wiring harness for the car...:helpless:

I also checked the local wreckers hoping I could locate something with a Northstar V8 so I could cut that section of harness out and splice into mine...but no luck. The wreckers around here have pulled most of the wiring out to sell the copper.

Does anybody know if I can disassemble the wires out of the existing connector so that I only have to make one set of splices instead of two in order to fix this? There are 6 wires in the circuit.

I'm open to any other ideas people might have as well.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE
I dont know if this will help or not, but I will offer my suggestion. If I'm not able to locate one I would go to Advance Auto or any supplier and purchase the same gauge and color of wire that I need to repair. I would cut out the sections those sections where someone used crimp connectors and replace it (or them with the new wire I bought. Instead of using crimp connectors I would solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing. I would then route it back into to the original wiring harness and conduit to make it look original. I hope that helps.

cdnron
04-17-09, 05:23 PM
Yes, thanks...I intend to splice the new ones in just that way instead of using the crimp style.

Just trying to avoid having to make two sets of splices for each wire if at all possible.

jpettit
04-17-09, 08:40 PM
Not a problem replacing just the connector for the harness. It is unique to GM but is a common connector that sometimes requires repair. It is not necessary to replace the $600 harness. I would recommend you do an online search for a "GM Delphi" or "Packard" +"GM MAF" and/or "Crank Sensor Connector". Find a website that offers the correct one visually with the correct number of pigtail wires already attached, not just the plastic housing connector and pins. Color coding may be a little different, so pay attention to what goes where. I believe there are 3 different ones to choose from and should cost less than $16. Pay careful attention to the online photos and look at both the male and female ends of the connector. Since yours has been replaced once and you are having problems, the wrong one may have been used or the female end is damaged/corroded.

AC Delco or NAPA may have it as well. GM dealers carries the repair parts, they will just be expensive (as in 3-4X) and it requires a good parts counter man to help you that nows what it is called and how to search for it. Normally these type parts are identified in their on section of the parts index. Crimp with the correct size barrel connector, wrap in good black electrical tape to keep moisture out or use heat-shrink tubing and put some split black corrugated loom around it for thermal protection. You will be good as new. If you need help, post or reply to jpettit(at)swbell.net Good luck.

cdnron
06-03-09, 02:49 PM
Not having any luck finding this.

I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in the connector itself rather than the existing harness and splices. When I have a problem I open the hood wiggle the connector and generally that fixes the problem for a few days at least.

Went back to the dealer and the parts guy could not find anything. Also went back and forth with a couple of web companies selling Delphi connectors but neither could identify a replacement.

Anybody else got some leads on this? It's got 6 pins and the female end looks like this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/b9gnyx.jpg

n7don_srx
06-04-09, 10:17 AM
A couple possibilites:
check www.acdelco.com put in your VIN or use the drill-down menu for parts. Sometimes you'll find connectors.
Also www.rockauto.com has connectors listed however often it's the same as the ones found on the acdelco site but gives a price. Generally not cheap!
Strange a good part counter guy couldn't find anything.
Does your connector resemble this:
http://info.rockauto.com/ACDelco/DetailRemotePT.html?http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?mfgname=ACDELCO&prodlinecd=16&acpartnbr=PT1475

cdnron
06-04-09, 11:46 AM
Does your connector resemble this:...

BINGO!

That's it. Confirmed through the Rock Auto site and once I had the AC Delco part number my local GM dealer found it in his parts listing...at about 5X the cost you can buy it elsewhere though...:thehand:

Thanks n7 :worship:

Professor Wizard
06-04-09, 03:30 PM
Oh yea cdnron... NEVER buy parts from a dealer - you will pay tripple or quad what you can get them elsewhere. Just use the dealership to find you the correct part number.

I am surprised the junk yards aren't hanging on to the connectors... They can still get considerably more dollars for the connectors then for the copper.

Intermittent throttle problems can be a nightmare to track out. I hope replacing that connector fix's your problem.

n7don_srx
06-04-09, 07:55 PM
BINGO!

That's it. Confirmed through the Rock Auto site and once I had the AC Delco part number my local GM dealer found it in his parts listing...at about 5X the cost you can buy it elsewhere though...:thehand:

Thanks n7 :worship:
Glad it worked out.
You might input the GM part no. into www.gmpartsdirect.com. The shipping cost are often high but look at the bottom line.