: Looking to purchase an 05 STS-4 and have questions

stevenriz
04-17-09, 09:47 AM
Hi all! I am looking at my first Cadillac, a 2005 STS-4 loaded with low miles. about 20k. I was looking at 06 and 07 models but this 05 is such a great price and it looks similar so I am considering it....

Knowing I drive over 100mi a day for my work, my quesitons are these....
1. with this being the first year of the AWD system, am I shooting myself in the foot with first year reliability problems with the AWD or any other system for that matter on this model year STS-4 ?
2. are there any gotchas with this model? I drive a lot, obviously and if I can expect a higher then normal repair record, I would like to know ahead of time so I can focus on a newer one.

My next car is definately a Cadillac. I currently drive a Buick CXS loaded as well but there is nothing like the STS... plus in the north east I wouldn't mind the AWD...

thoughts?

Thanks!!
Steve

EChas3
04-17-09, 10:25 PM
If you're buying from a Cadillac dealer, will they Certify it? CPO is worth the $1,000 even if they just complete and satisfy the checklist. The 100,000 mile Certified Pre-Owned warranty feels like money in the bank.

I paid a little more, $1,400 for CPO on a 2006 STS4 1SG with 38k miles in December. One major repair a year from now and I'm even (or ahead). These are expensive cars. Without CPO, I'd strongly recommend an extended warranty.

There are a lot of happy 2005 owners. Let's hear from them...

mikemillion2000
04-17-09, 10:54 PM
Yes, I'm happy with my STS, an '05, with all the gidgets and gadgets (except the HUD).. Although not as pretty as all of the other kids on the block, whenever I take him to get cleaned, he looks just as nice!! All butta baby...! Only exception I have is that I have RWD, so I've got to keep a 2nd set of tires/rims (for the snow here in Ohio). but other than that, a good buy!!!!

DTS_BOI
04-17-09, 11:02 PM
BUY IT AND ENJOY!!! Trust me!!

Plus, any reputable mechanic or repair facility can repair a Cadfillac. They are very resonable to maintain and-or repair. This is NOT THE CASE with a German Luxury car.

Do it!

EChas3
04-17-09, 11:26 PM
BUY IT AND ENJOY!!! Trust me!!

Plus, any reputable mechanic or repair facility can repair a Cadfillac. They are very resonable to maintain and-or repair. This is NOT THE CASE with a German Luxury car.

Do it!

You are looking at one of the best bargins in the automotive world. Gently used Caddy's are a joy. But I can't agree that any reputable facilty can meet all your service needs. There are a number of specialized tools, resources, etc. But a little shopping can teach you when a Caddy dealer is worthwhile.

And I still contend a CPO from a dealer is another great value.

stevenriz
04-18-09, 02:23 PM
thanks everyone. I bought it and love it... now if I could only program the FOBs to adjust the seats and mirrors the way I like. Looking for instructions now. I got the home link working already for my garage doors and put a "home" in the nav system. Also figured out I need to upgrade my onstar to digital. Which amazes me because I just got rid of my 2005 Lacrosse CXS and the onstar was digital. Oh well.... other then that it is such a tight sporty like ride that I don't think I can get enough of... thanks again!!!

EChas3
04-18-09, 03:35 PM
Two pointers for getting the settings the way you want them:

In Config Mode, press & hold your driver number to permanently save settings. Even the radio presets may not be really saved until you hear the double-beep.

Notice the scroll bar when in many of the Config screens. A lot of the options are found by scrolling down!

Have fun!

turnerbend
04-18-09, 06:27 PM
thanks everyone. I bought it and love it... now if I could only program the FOBs to adjust the seats and mirrors the way I like. Looking for instructions now. I got the home link working already for my garage doors and put a "home" in the nav system. Also figured out I need to upgrade my onstar to digital. Which amazes me because I just got rid of my 2005 Lacrosse CXS and the onstar was digital. Oh well.... other then that it is such a tight sporty like ride that I don't think I can get enough of... thanks again!!!

All the information you need to program the FOB is in your owners' manual.

TimmyC
04-20-09, 09:41 AM
Be aware that your gas mileage is going to suck with the AWD. My STS4 V8 gets 20mpg highway and so do the rest of them. 16 city bites too.

mike sts
04-23-09, 09:13 PM
even with awd the car is not good in the snow, my 1994 sts with front wheel drive was much better. wide wheels with low profile tires will never be good in the snow. Get the CPO you will need it

mbnv992
04-23-09, 09:36 PM
My 2007 STS4 has been super in the snow. Although here in CT we haven't got THAT much snow last year. However, the car did fantastic (at least I thought so) going up hills, driving in 4+ inches of snow is no problem for my AWD STS. My car only has 11,000 miles on it, so the tires are in great shape as well, so that could present a problem if you don't have good tires.

stevenriz
04-29-09, 09:33 AM
TimmyC, I did notice the mileage really stinks even though the AVG mileage I am getting is about 19. That is about 80mi highway per day and the rest is city driving. I also notice that as soon as the needle hits 3/4 of a take, you can almost watch the guage drop as you drive right down to E... BUT BUT BUT I am noticing now that when I fill up, the total is between $25 and $30. This morning I put in 14 or so gallons and it was just about on E and I only paid about $28... The remaining mileage guage still showed I had 75 miles to go before empty... This is telling me that my fuel guage isn't as accurate as it should be. The car from what I read has a 17 gallon fuel capacity. So with how I explained everything, would you agree the guage is a little off?

other then that, I totally love the car. It's sharp looking, I love the studded racing type wheels and the HUD is incredible. My polorized sunglasses filter that screen out though in daylight :( oh well... the 15 speaker stereo and the MP3 capability, the memory seats/mirrors/wheel/radiostations is nice, the NAV is good too. very easy to understand... Now if I can only find a reasonably priced NAV DVD update and get myself a phone that works good with the blue tooth.... that is another post...

thanks for all your help guys!
Steve