: 2005 V6 SRX Oil Consumption

P05SRX
04-16-09, 11:36 PM
I have a 2005 SRX with about 56k miles. I checked the oil today and it needed about 3qrts of Oil. Last time I got the oil changed they fixed a oil leak and they (dealer) told me this car can burn up oil.

Is 3qrts of oil in 4k miles normal? I HOPE NOTE!

Is anyone else having this problem and what was the final outcome?

Are the new 07, 08, 09 SRXs having this problem?

My parents have a 99' escalade with 190k miles and it doesn't require oil between oil changes. Yet my 05 SRX loves oil!

I am taking it to the dealer in the AM hopefully they can figure it out.

cfishkin
04-17-09, 12:48 AM
Let me know, since my mine's been burning about the same since, I'm guessing, the beginning, but I've only been checking it consistantly on recently. I never thought a brand new car would burn oil. None, none of any of my other cars, ever, burned oil. Even high mileage cars.

cadillacroadside
04-17-09, 10:53 AM
as per gm the accepted rate of oil consumption is 1 qt in 2000 miles, this vehicle has a tsb out for replacing pistons rings and valve guide seals for excessive oil consumptiom

USAFRET
04-17-09, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=P05SRX;1848245]Are the new 07, 08, 09 SRXs having this problem?[
QUOTE]

I just bought a CPO 09 that had 18,500 miles on it so if there is any excessive oil comsumption I'm sure it'll show up pretty fast. I have only driven it 365 miles so far I can't tell if it's using oil. I will keep a close watch though.

Good luck with your trip to the dealer.

Infrared06
04-17-09, 02:11 PM
My 2006 V6 burns up only 1qt after 5K miles. 3 qts does seem a little high though.

waretteer
04-17-09, 03:20 PM
Sorry about your high oil consumption. My 2005 V6 has never burned a drop in 34000 miles. Just finished a 1500 mile trip, mostly interstate, doing 75 to 85 for hours. Bought the car new, and broke her in gently, following GM suggestions.

Dick

BanditRider
04-17-09, 07:07 PM
My 2005 V6 with 76000 miles uses about a quart per 1000 miles. I have a 100 mile round trip daily commute.
There is no evidence of a leak on the garage floor nor where I park at work.
And it doesn't smoke.

srx2005
04-19-09, 06:06 PM
My 2005 V6 uses about 1/2 quart between oil changes (6 months or 6K miles - whichever comes 1st). It has performed this way since new.

P05SRX
04-19-09, 09:01 PM
Well I went to the dealer on Friday morning and the service guy said they could not find an oil leak. So they changed the oil and asked me stop by after 1,000 miles so they could check the oil level (oil consumption test).

Something is obviously wrong if it took 3qrts of oil.

05SRX-Redline
04-19-09, 11:30 PM
I have a 2005 SRX V6 with 25K miles on it; purchased it last September, I have not found any noticeable additional oil consumption between changes. It seems tight. 3 quarts is alot for an engine that holds 6.

P05SRX
06-12-09, 12:42 AM
Quick Update - here on my 05 SRX that sucks up oil.

I finally got done with the oil consumption test after about 1800 miles. I took it to the dealer and it has burned up a little over 1.5qrts in 1800 miles. I guess that is aggressive. So they are keeping the car and are going to replace the piston rings and the valve stems.

I sure hope this works. Has anyone else had this done to thr SRX? If so did it work?

raysirx
06-12-09, 05:59 AM
I just had it done, but I am only 500 miles into the new rings /timing chain sprockets.
I will keep you informed.
Gold Coast Cadillac in NJ did a nice job

cadillacroadside
06-12-09, 02:40 PM
thank you raysirx, i dont know if my advisor filled you but for the firt 1000 miles you may exoirience a little bit of consumption till the rings seat in, after that you should be good to go

Etoda
06-17-09, 06:32 AM
My 2005 V6 SRX consumes a full gallon of oil in 5k miles. No dripping, no smoke. I bought the car a couple of months ago and have just discovered its love for oil. Sad. Not to mention the fact that a gallon of Mobil 1 costs approx. 100 dollars where I live...

Another SRX owner I got in contact with had the same problem. He claimed to have checked with the general agent for Cadillac (in Sweden), which should have said that the oil consumption was normal!?

It brings a feeling of low quality that I dislike. The only car Ive ever owned that consumed the same amount of oil was a worn out (european) Ford from the early eighties, that I had for a short period 15 years ago. You may understand that the comparison makes me feel uneasy...

mthake
06-18-09, 10:58 PM
Mine is doing the same thing, about a quart every 1000 miles. anyone that has had the rings replaced, how much did it cost you?:crybaby:

BanditRider
06-19-09, 09:18 AM
Have you tried using an oil designed for higher mileage cars? Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 conventional oil stopped the high oil consumption I was experiencing in my 2005 SRX V6 AWD with 80,000 miles on it now. If you prefer a full synthetic, Valvoline has it's MaxLife.

Spyke
06-19-09, 02:02 PM
Have you tried using an oil designed for higher mileage cars? Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 conventional oil stopped the high oil consumption I was experiencing in my 2005 SRX V6 AWD with 80,000 miles on it now. If you prefer a full synthetic, Valvoline has it's MaxLife.

are those 4718m specs design to resist high temp since the 3.6l doesn't have an oil cooler?

raysirx
06-20-09, 08:07 AM
As for cost it was covered under my extended GMPP wattanty, so I only paid $100
I have 98,000 miles
3.6 awd 2004
Always mobil 1 5-30

P05SRX
07-01-09, 11:34 PM
Another update on my 05 SRX that sucks up oil. The dealer kept it for a little over 2 weeks and replaced the rings and valve stems and other things. As for the cost it was covered under warranty. I think they did some sort of cleaning to the engine as well cuz the engine put off a nasty smell for a day or two after the repair. (the service guy told me it could smell till the chemical burn off)

It probably have driven about 1k since the repair. Not sure on the oil level right now but my GAS MPG has improved by a few MPG. Not sure what that is about but it works for me.

raysirx
07-03-09, 12:33 PM
After about 2500 miles my oil level has dropped about 1/2 a quart, so I would deem it a success.
Especially since the new rings are still seating in the bore

warren Voth
07-18-09, 10:51 AM
Hey P05SRX, how hard did you have to battle with the dealer to repair you engine? I also have a 2005 SRX with only 44000 miles on it and I am going through about the same amount of oil as you are....(or were). we recently went on a trip, put about 3100 miles on and I had to add 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles. it is at the shop as I type this message to you but the dealer is saying there is nothing wrong. Needless to say he got an ear full and I have told him I will never buy a Cadillac again if this is concidered "normal". I was very disapointed to say the least to buy my Caddi and find out that it is using this much oil. I am sure glad there is this discussion board to find out that there are others out there and that something can be done to correct the problem. any info you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

algiorda
07-19-09, 02:16 PM
I have a 2004 and as soon as it hit 48k miles, I started burning more oil than normal. My wife drove from New York to Virginia and back and needed 2 Qts Oil when she returned......that's not good. Isn't the Powertrain warranty 5 yrs 50000 miles?

dctex99
07-20-09, 01:29 AM
Actually 4 years, 50,000 for Cadillac.....be interesting to see how dealers will deal with this since their is a tsb, and hopefully getting more complaints; I hope their aren't people assuming their car will never burn oil and getting real low if they wait for the computer to tell them when to change!!

warren Voth
07-22-09, 02:51 PM
Actually 4 years, 50,000 for Cadillac.....be interesting to see how dealers will deal with this since their is a tsb, and hopefully getting more complaints; I hope their aren't people assuming their car will never burn oil and getting real low if they wait for the computer to tell them when to change!!

Exactly, the way I found out I was low on oil was there was an odd noise coming from the front end. turns out the noise was the engine 4 litres low on oil and the low oil indication didnt even come on. hopefully with enough voices, GM will do something about this issue.

david1
07-23-09, 08:22 AM
there is no "low oil" indicator just a oil pressure. By that time it will be too late. Factory says check oil everytime you fill with gas like the 1960's.

Spyke
07-23-09, 10:04 AM
there is a low oil level indicator that ended in 2006. so 2005 and prior does have an check oil level when there's about 2.5 qts of oil left in the engine.

Unfortunately, the sensor only works when the engine is not running with the key at the on position. and you have to wait for approx. 6-10 seconds before it can show up on the DIC.

And I'm talking only for the 3.6l v6, not the v8.

warren Voth
07-23-09, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info Spyke. glad to know that there is a low oil indication on my 05, but I guess I will have to remember to "NOT" turn the car on to see if it works. Who would think of programing a sensor on a vehicle, for such an important item like oil level, so that you have to have the vehicle off and the key on for 10seconds. Seems bass-akwards to me.

Spyke
07-23-09, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info Spyke. glad to know that there is a low oil indication on my 05, but I guess I will have to remember to "NOT" turn the car on to see if it works. Who would think of programing a sensor on a vehicle, for such an important item like oil level, so that you have to have the vehicle off and the key on for 10seconds. Seems bass-akwards to me.

I dont why it works that way though. I think its sad!

I did some tests when I did my oil change and slowly I let the oil drip in the pan until the light showed up. I checked on the dipstick and I could only read like 200-300ml of oil on the dipstick..

My advise: dont wait until it tells you your low on oil (only 2.5 qts left in a 6 qts crankcase capacity). Check everytime you put gas in your car or every 300 miles.

If you do your own oil change, test it yourself. Drain all the oil, put the plug back and put the key at "on" position. wait a couple of seconds and you'll see. Fill the engine with fresh oil half-quart per half-quart until you cant see the check oil level message when you turn the key at "on".

tn6020
07-24-09, 04:54 PM
I dont why it works that way though. I think its sad!

I did some tests when I did my oil change and slowly I let the oil drip in the pan until the light showed up. I checked on the dipstick and I could only read like 200-300ml of oil on the dipstick..

My advise: dont wait until it tells you your low on oil (only 2.5 qts left in a 6 qts crankcase capacity). Check everytime you put gas in your car or every 300 miles.

If you do your own oil change, test it yourself. Drain all the oil, put the plug back and put the key at "on" position. wait a couple of seconds and you'll see. Fill the engine with fresh oil half-quart per half-quart until you cant see the check oil level message when you turn the key at "on".

Hi Spyke, Could You Show me how is the best way to change Engine Oil at home please, I heard 05 SRX is very tough to do It ?

algiorda
07-27-09, 12:19 AM
I notified my dealer of my abnormal oil consumption and they immediately told me to start logging my oil usage. I have to do the 1000 mile oil burn test 3 TIMES before they rule on the nature of the problem. I had they change the oil Saturday, so let's see how this progresses.

warren Voth
07-27-09, 10:53 PM
I notified my dealer of my abnormal oil consumption and they immediately told me to start logging my oil usage. I have to do the 1000 mile oil burn test 3 TIMES before they rule on the nature of the problem. I had they change the oil Saturday, so let's see how this progresses.

Good luck algiorda, I am on the same program. I will update all with the outcome. Stay tuned.

conedoctor
07-29-09, 09:40 PM
I feel lucky, I just checked my oil after reading this and it is still full with 21% left on the oil meter.

Vassellpv
08-10-09, 01:23 PM
Im experiencing this now and finished the oil consumption test. The dealer informed me that adding 1qt every 1500 1600 miles IS acceptable. Like others there are no visible leaks or smoke blowing. The only way I know things are low is a bit of noise from the engine and slight hesitation. The dealer does not want to budge on fixing this as they claim its within the standards.

Im also told the correct way to test the oil is to leave the engine off for 15 minutes before checking? Can someone validate that? If this really is the case it would appear Id have to stack up on oil and perform oil tests at home not at the pump.

Is there anything the poor consumer can do other than complain to the local dealer? Perhaps an action suit against GM? This seems ridiculous. Im sure I would be SOL if the engine ceased because I wasnt aware of this issue and then that wouldnt be covered under my current warrantee.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sonogirl
08-13-09, 09:56 PM
I have just boiught a 2006 SRX with 45000 KM (Canada) about 25K mile - still has 4 year warranty on it. It burns oil like crazy! I have gone to the local Cadillac dealer who pushed back right at the beginning saying that since I didn't own it from the start, who knows how it was looked after and it could be wear and tear and not a problem with a warranty. It burns the most on highway driving. Drove from Ontario to PA, (8 hours) and went through 1 quart of oil!!I am doing the oil consumption test - have to go to the dealer every week to record it -- so far after 3 weeks it has averaged about 1 liter per 1000 km. The service manager says that amount is within "NORMAL" according to cadillac. He says I should trade it in because no matter what the outcome of the oil consumption test, he can twist the results to prove that the consumption is NORMAL for the SRX. It is like Cadillac knows there is a problem and know has written a standard to fit the problem. The service manager said he did try and fix another customer's oil consumption problem by doing a ring job, and Cadillac still hasn't reimbursed him; so it make sense he is trying to get rid of me as a customer -- I called the Cadillac customer service at the head office in Oshawa Canada, and they coudn't have been less interested, stating that "some cars just burn more oil than others" - I presently own a F150, Camry XLE, Expedition and Saturn -- none of which go through oil at this rate. The customer service person spoke to me like I was a 12 year old --- Any advise? Know why GM is going bankrupt!!! Great customer service -- just push back until the warranty runs out or blame the person's driving habits.

Professor Wizard
08-14-09, 12:53 PM
Intersting...

I'm an old car guy - into cars since I was 13 (Ouch - that makes it over 40 years!) I guess the rules changed over the years - - Unless you have a 2 stroke engine, you should never lose more then 1/2 a quart in 6 months. and then only in a very hot engine that has been modified. Today's standard engines run such tight tolerances that with proper maintenance, there should never be any oil loss unless there is something wrong, or the engine has extreme mileage or wear and tear.

Mind you - if you never change the oil, or you go off-roading a lot, or drive constantly in the desert with sand blowing around - then you will have a car that will burn oil after a while!

I only owned 2 cars in my lifetime that burned oil... My first car - a 64' Rambler Classic which was a retired Southwestern Bell Telephone car with 280,000 miles on it and was obviously badly maintained - used a quart every tankful of gas. And I had a 2001 Audi Allroad with 290,000 miles on it which used a quart every 5,000 miles. All the rest of my cars (21) never used a noticeable amount of oil between changes.

"A quart in 1000miles is "normal"? My A$$! THAT is just a skirt around to avoid the cost rebuilding the engine. Unless it is a safety issue causing law suits which cost more then the repair the Big 3 are going to avoid the pay out. Mind you if enough of the engines do this to cause a class action then GM will recall them to avoid paying on the class action.

The true bad news is - it seems that these oil problems show up after the warranty runs out!

The good news is - it seems a hand full of SRX Owners did manage to slip theirs in under warranty and have the issue worked on... and, the 08's and 09's aren't showing signs of the Oil Use problems.

and that is my 2 cents! :)

tn6020
08-14-09, 01:50 PM
I got my 05s SRX V6 AWD w/ rear A/C and 3rd row, 75kmi on Jun 09 and had NO OIL BURNING like I saw a lot of yours were
Maybe I am lucky, maybe the previous owner has done a treatment, I couldn' t know but when looking into the engine found no sign that the engine was replaced or re-installed

mthake
08-15-09, 11:05 AM
figured I'd post an update here. Been dealing with the oil consumption for the past few months. read all the good information in regards to the northstar engine oil consumptions and took some great advice. Engine was babied all of its life, and still is when my wife is driving it. However, when I'm behind the wheel, its manual shifting and pedal to the floor any chance i get:hide: I've even got the v6 to squeal the tires a bit on take off now. Good news, it worked, oil consumption has stabalized to maybe 1 quart every 3k.:p

warren Voth
08-24-09, 10:10 AM
I have just boiught a 2006 SRX with 45000 KM (Canada) about 25K mile - still has 4 year warranty on it. It burns oil like crazy! I have gone to the local Cadillac dealer who pushed back right at the beginning saying that since I didn't own it from the start, who knows how it was looked after and it could be wear and tear and not a problem with a warranty. It burns the most on highway driving. Drove from Ontario to PA, (8 hours) and went through 1 quart of oil!!I am doing the oil consumption test - have to go to the dealer every week to record it -- so far after 3 weeks it has averaged about 1 liter per 1000 km. The service manager says that amount is within "NORMAL" according to cadillac. He says I should trade it in because no matter what the outcome of the oil consumption test, he can twist the results to prove that the consumption is NORMAL for the SRX. It is like Cadillac knows there is a problem and know has written a standard to fit the problem. The service manager said he did try and fix another customer's oil consumption problem by doing a ring job, and Cadillac still hasn't reimbursed him; so it make sense he is trying to get rid of me as a customer -- I called the Cadillac customer service at the head office in Oshawa Canada, and they coudn't have been less interested, stating that "some cars just burn more oil than others" - I presently own a F150, Camry XLE, Expedition and Saturn -- none of which go through oil at this rate. The customer service person spoke to me like I was a 12 year old --- Any advise? Know why GM is going bankrupt!!! Great customer service -- just push back until the warranty runs out or blame the person's driving habits.

Hey Sonogirl, I have a 2005 SRX with similar oil consumption. Cadillac Canada considers .968 litres of oil for every 2800kms to be acceptable. anything above this requires investigation. because your car is still under manufactures warranty, this is something that needs to be looked into, regardless of how it was previously driven. I have documentation from Cadillac canada as to what steps should be taken, and you can be sure that my dealer will do the correct repairs, or there are other steps that can be taken and they will not look good for the dealer or Cadillac. you need to kick the dealers a$$ if he is not going to do anything about this problem.

Sonogirl
09-09-09, 07:41 PM
Just had the rings, bearings replaced and a valve job done on my SRX under warranty to fix the oil consumption problem that the local cadillac dealership was NORMAL --- THe push back from the local dealerships is terrible -- I had to go higher in the GM corportation to get satisfaction. They took it away and had field engineers look at it and did a week worth of work on it... all under warranty. Just keep pushing. J

iaJim
11-15-09, 08:25 AM
I have a 2005 SRX too. I've had it less than a month, and it has 52,000 miles on it. Since I've never owned a modern car that used oil, I had not yet checked the oil. I have an oil change scheduled in two days; I have put just 3,500 miles on the car. I got the same symptoms others have stated-no smoke, no oil light, all just fine until the check engine light started to blink and then I got a sort of growl from the engine. I stopped to check the oil, and found no oil on the dipstick. I was fortunate enough to find a great service station a block away, and they had to add four quarts of oil. A GALLON OF OIL in 3,500 miles. How did those of you who got on this program do it? I bought the car used from a non Cadillac dealer. I'm thinking of just going back and trading for something else, but I LOVE driving this car. I would appreciate any advice on this.

raysirx
11-15-09, 08:46 PM
Just to update my 2004 V6 had the rings / oil seals replaced by Gold Coast Cadillac in NJ.
Job was performed at 98,000 miles

I have just changed my oil today after 6200 miles, My oil was still full on the dipstick.

I am using Mobil1 0w30.

Prior to the dealer overhaul I was averaging 1 qt consumed every 1000-1500 miles

Try changing dealers, my old dealer (Clairmont) refused, they are now closed by GM

iaJim
11-17-09, 02:40 PM
I just picked up my SRX from my dealer. They found that a hose connecting to the PCV valve had collapsed and was holding the PCV valve in one position or the other. I have read that can be one of the causes of oil consumption. I'm very hopeful that this will be a good fix. They replaced all of the components, and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

cfishkin
11-25-09, 09:20 PM
If it were just that simple...

iaJim
11-27-09, 08:59 AM
OK, a thousand miles later, and I"m down a quart of oil. That wasn't the problem. Now I go to the dealer and see what can happen. Would be happy for any suggestions.

iaJim
11-27-09, 04:46 PM
Just got back from my dealer. He ran the VIN# and discovered that I have Cadillac preowned warranty until 2011 or 102,000 miles. I'm very relieved!

vogelman
12-03-09, 08:51 PM
i am in the middle of an oil consumpyion test that i know i will fail. its going to get rings valves also bad trans shutter (torque converter)is going to be dealt with.3 mo left on fact warr... that was close

iaJim
12-05-09, 09:31 AM
I have the exact things happening. Cadillac dealer is going to pick it up on Monday. They're leaving me a loaner, so I hope all gets repaired and I'm in for several years of troblefree motoring.

iaJim
12-09-09, 08:17 AM
Got a call from the dealership. I'm going to have to do the Oil Consumption Test. They found a clogged Mass Airflow Sensor which could have been causing some problems. They also reprogramed the transmission. They said the torque converter was performing correctly. We'll see if that's true. I'm satisfied with the level of concern they have for the car. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get things fixed before setting off for an extended vacation in a little over a month. I guess I'll just have to travel with oil, and be ready to add oil as needed. Not a huge deal, but I was hoping to get it all taken care of.

iaJim
12-13-09, 09:45 AM
I have to tell you that Willis Cadillac in Des Moines, IA is an amazing place. They fixed my noisy sunroof, started the oil consumption test, checked my transmission shudder, and cleaned up my entire car. Very classy place. They call at every event and keep you informed about the progress of your car. They have only one person communicate with you, and they make you feel that your car and your business really matter. It's unlike any other car dealership I've ever visited.