: 99 ETC Weak hot restart?

touringcoupe
04-16-09, 10:13 PM
Hi I have a 99 Eldorado ETC, the car is well maintained, newer spark plugs and wires, year old O2 sensors. I get 22 mpg on average and it has 130,000 mile on it.

My main problem is the car intermittently fails to restart when the car is at operating temperature. Sometimes if you leave the key in the run position for about 30 seconds and try again the car will normally start. The problem has escalated to early morning cold no start. Engine cranks with no attempt at starting, I let the car sit all day and then after several tries to start it again, the car started and ran normally. Checked for codes had a Cyclinder 3 Misfire code and an Evaporator System code. But the car runs smooth with no misfire.

I have also noticed not recently but in the past, after sitting at a stop light for a long period of time with the brakes on, I will see smoke coming out of the steering column, when I release the brake it stops.

And also with this car I get an intermittent Check Stability System message, normally after taking a sharp turn in reverse and then back into drive. The message goes away on restart.

I am really puzzled and I would appreciate any help... :banghead:

Ranger
04-16-09, 10:59 PM
Check you FPR and fuel pressure. FPR is the small canister on the fuel rail. Pull the vacuum hose at idle. If any fuel leaks from the nipple, it needs to be replaced. Fuel pressure should be 45-50 psi. Check it at key on and again while cranking.

touringcoupe
04-17-09, 05:13 PM
I checked the fuel pressure regulator it seems to be fine, no fuel came out. I checked the fuel pressure on the rail with the key on, the pressure shot up straight away to the mid 40s and after about 2 seconds it dropped off a little bit and then when I started the car it went up to 45 and stayed there. Then when I reved it, it went up to 50 PSI.

The Chilton Manual suggested cleaning the chasis grounds. I cleaned the grounds from the battery to the block and from the wire harness to the core support also and I haven't had an issue since.

I guess I will wait and see if it repeats.

Thanks for your help.

Krashed989
04-17-09, 08:28 PM
...The Chilton Manual...

Ewwww.... You should invest in a factory (Helms) service manual. Chiltons is usually very incomplete for cadillacs.

touringcoupe
04-19-09, 12:07 PM
You are right about Chiltons.

That's a good idea about Helms, I have actually been thinking about getting one, don't know why I have waited.