: NEW MEMBER with TIMING CHAIN QUESTIONS

randyfield
04-16-09, 05:56 PM
Hello all! New user here.....just found this site the other day and cant stay away from it! Had a question about a '04 srx timing chain. We just purchased a '04 with 97K miles from a dealer that really didnt have any maintenance history about the car. Visually the car was VERY WELL kept, and I am hoping mechanically as well. Very quiet and smooth engine at all speeds, smooth shifting up and down. My only concern is the timing chain. Is there ANY way at all to tell if it has been replaced? If the previous owners had it serviced at a Cadillac dealership, will they have the records according to the VIN? Thanks in advance all!

King3244
04-17-09, 12:33 AM
If you bought it from a GM dealer he can easily get a service history on the computer. Even if you didn't... go to your local Caddy dealer and have the service department run one for you.

Habu
04-17-09, 09:34 PM
Randyfield:
the N* engine has multiple cam chains that don't require changing like timing belts so unless the prior owner had a engine issue, you probably won't find any history of a timing chain change. Hopefully, one of the techs that reads this forum can give you more detailed info.

Paulie Walnuts
04-20-09, 10:19 AM
trust me - the thing will rust and dissapear before you ever have a timing chain issue - these engines - N-STAR are really solid - not so muc for the transfer case on the awd - but other than that - stand on the gas pedal and enjoy without guilt.........but check your oil level frequently.

randyfield
04-20-09, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone! I am definetly keeping an eye on the oil issue, but have had no problem so far, but again, only had the car a week now......it is one sweet ride!

Paulie Walnuts
04-22-09, 02:15 PM
Enjoy it! I just hit 101K - it's been virtually problem free, great fun. Did you get a 6 or 8? I went with the 8 - so happy earth day tree huggers!

randyfield
04-22-09, 05:58 PM
Lol.....happy earth day with the v8, thats funny! We have the 6.....has some pretty good get up and go, would love to feel an 8 though!

dfosnaugh
04-25-09, 06:37 PM
We purchased a 04 srx last day of 08 with 55k had it 2 wks was stolen,found it 3 weeks later 150 mi.away . Really it wasn't in real bad shape
other than needing a real good detail. Since then replaced brakes all around,power steering pump, 2 fuel sensors, window regulater,and now is
in needing timing chain replaced, was informed chain is on recall 2 months to get last one in. I forget front turn signal bulb out informed 130.00
labor plus parts.Only thing linked to the theif was the power steering pump.Hope things improve love the car.