: CAI's in the Winter?

zerocarpileup
04-16-09, 02:27 PM
So i cant find anything on this in the search but ive been wondering for a while now, if extremely cold weather will have any negative effects on my 02 via the CAI? I live in Chicago and the weather can dip below zero on any given day. So Will too much cold air be a problem, especially on a frigid start up?

luxurylife33
04-16-09, 04:29 PM
I doubt it would be a problem....

Spittin Game
04-16-09, 11:15 PM
I have a buddy who had a carbon fiber intake on his car, started his car up on a cold morning, the engine heat combined with the freezing cold weather equaled a shattered cai.

zerocarpileup
04-17-09, 02:30 AM
damn thats fd up, so the entire intake was carbon fiber?

H0TWHLZ
04-17-09, 01:52 PM
I have a 02' lade w/ K&N CAI, I live in MN......there were days that were close to 50 below zero w/ windchill.....I had my car parked outside all day while working and never had a single problem. I have the 57 Series FIPK. I know of many others that live here that have CAI's as well with no issues.

Spittin Game
04-17-09, 04:47 PM
damn thats fd up, so the entire intake was carbon fiber?

Ya, the entire "tube" was carbon fiber. Apparently carbon fiber and extreme cold + engine heat = bad

luxurylife33
04-17-09, 06:13 PM
the whole idea of a carbon fiber intake is ridiculous ... carbon fiber is used to save weight ... why would you want to save weight for an intake? must have been a civic

Spittin Game
04-17-09, 06:20 PM
the whole idea of a carbon fiber intake is ridiculous ... carbon fiber is used to save weight ... why would you want to save weight for an intake? must have been a civic

Actually it was a Charger SRT8. They made them out of CF so they didnt get so hot, the aluminum ones and metal ones get very hot.

luxurylife33
04-17-09, 10:54 PM
Actually it was a Charger SRT8. They made them out of CF so they didnt get so hot, the aluminum ones and metal ones get very hot.

I can understand steel, but aluminum, like carbon fiber does not conduct heat. Ever put aluminum foil in the oven and take it out? Its still the same temperature it was when it went in.... Thats strange though.... was it stock? maybe it was for looks, more than performance. Aluminum is muccccch cheaper than CF.

Spittin Game
04-18-09, 12:36 AM
I can understand steel, but aluminum, like carbon fiber does not conduct heat. Ever put aluminum foil in the oven and take it out? Its still the same temperature it was when it went in.... Thats strange though.... was it stock? maybe it was for looks, more than performance. Aluminum is muccccch cheaper than CF.

Thats not true. I had an aluminum CAI and it got so hot, that if you touched it youd burn yourself. And no it wasnt stock, it was an aftermarket one. It definitely wasnt a cheap CAI either, but he got it as a "hookup" from a friend of both of ours that worked for the company.

Rolex
04-18-09, 01:31 AM
Aluminum will transfer both heat and cold. Aluminum foil can't retain heat very long because it's very thin. Crank up a 4 burner gas grill and fold over a piece of heavy duty foil a few times before you place it on the grill. Wait about 10 minutes and try reaching in to pick up that foil with your bare hand.

oldworld
04-19-09, 05:03 PM
Right on Rolex...........been there done that with fish in foil on the BBQ.
Still have the blister scar as proof :thepan: