: Locked out - lost Fob 2008 STS

KARL DAHLEN
04-16-09, 01:57 PM
I have had my 2008 STS for over a year and it has always bothered me that there is no ignition key and that if I lose the fob on one of my many long trips, I am screwed. I have always hidden a key on my cars and believe me, I have had occasion to use them. I have found a solution that I would like to share: I took my spare fob, took the battery out so the car would not recognize it, and hid it and the battery inside the car. Then I went to have a key made for the door. Naturally, it is a special key and your usual key makers (KMart, Walmart etc) do not have a blank. The dealer wants over $60.00 for one. I went to a local lock shop and he made a key that fits. Took a little fiddling, but he did it $3. Hid the key in a magnetic holder under the car. Now I am set for the worst.

BarryNS
04-17-09, 11:12 AM
I'm not so sure that by removing the battery from the fob you have completely eliminated the ability of the car to recognize it. A portion of the function of these fobs is passive. It would be interesting to take the fob without a battery and put it in the little compartment in the glove box and see if you can start the car. If so, so can anybody else who finds the fob.

The battery is definately needed when you press on the buttons on the fob to unlock and lock the door and open the trunk and turn on the alert, but probably not needed to be recognized by the car.

WillySTS
04-17-09, 01:50 PM
I have had my 2008 STS for over a year and it has always bothered me that there is no ignition key and that if I lose the fob on one of my many long trips, I am screwed. I have always hidden a key on my cars and believe me, I have had occasion to use them. I have found a solution that I would like to share: I took my spare fob, took the battery out so the car would not recognize it, and hid it and the battery inside the car. Then I went to have a key made for the door. Naturally, it is a special key and your usual key makers (KMart, Walmart etc) do not have a blank. The dealer wants over $60.00 for one. I went to a local lock shop and he made a key that fits. Took a little fiddling, but he did it $3. Hid the key in a magnetic holder under the car. Now I am set for the worst.

It may work...but, you'd better get that extra key fob PROGRAMMED FIRST before you remove the battery and hide it.

KARL DAHLEN
04-17-09, 07:44 PM
I'm not so sure that by removing the battery from the fob you have completely eliminated the ability of the car to recognize it. A portion of the function of these fobs is passive. It would be interesting to take the fob without a battery and put it in the little compartment in the glove box and see if you can start the car. If so, so can anybody else who finds the fob.

The battery is definately needed when you press on the buttons on the fob to unlock and lock the door and open the trunk and turn on the alert, but probably not needed to be recognized by the car.

Your absolutely right - the vehicle will start with the fob in the pocket and the fob battery removed!

next2pool
04-19-09, 12:44 PM
Your absolutely right - the vehicle will start with the fob in the pocket and the fob battery removed!

Maybe that's a good thing. You can hide it inside and have Onstar unlock the car, or use the key to open it with the fob hidden inside somewhere.

BarryNS
04-20-09, 11:33 AM
Maybe that's a good thing. You can hide it inside and have Onstar unlock the car, or use the key to open it with the fob hidden inside somewhere.

So that anybody who wants to steal the car only has to break the window. One would be politely giving them free reign to start the car without having to bypass the key security system. The passive recognition of the keyfob without battery may be able to occur under some condition even when the fob is not in the pocket.