: Anyone have stock wheels laying around they can weigh for me?

SUX2BU
04-15-09, 05:06 PM
So i'm starting to get serious about racing my Escalade and was thinking about going down to some lighter wheels. Wondering what stock wheels and tires weigh. If you have just the rim that would be even better. Thanx.
Oh and that means i'll probably be selling my 2007 22" stock wheels soon if anyone is interested.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-15-09, 05:42 PM
58 lbs for the stock rims. Keep us posted about the 22s. I for one am interested

SUX2BU
04-15-09, 05:51 PM
58 lbs for the stock rims. Keep us posted about the 22s. I for one am interested

Just one 17" rim? that can't be right. thought i read somewhere that tire and rim was like 67.

bstiffmanofsteel
04-15-09, 06:01 PM
between 58 and 60 lbs according to the write up
http://www.ask.com/bar?q=02+escalade+rim+weight&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sporttruck.com%2Ffeaturedvehicl es%2F0511st_2002_cadillac_escalade%2Findex.html

The Lac
04-15-09, 10:38 PM
I don't know man... Do you really think getting lightweight wheels will really affect the performance.

Trust me when I say I understand the whole power/weight ratio, but at 6600 lbs or so, it's not the same as a 3300 lbs sports car.

They say 100 lbs is worth a tenth in the 1/4, but at our weight, that's not really the case.

I think the cost off the lightweight wheels wouldn't be justified with the minimal performance gains.

Sure it's rotational weight and all, but unless you were considering a lightweight driveshaft, brakes, seats, etc... is it really worth it?

I haven't done any research on our Lac's in regards to weight savings, but I have an 11.326 @ 121.410 ET Mustang, so I have some experience with track results.

SUX2BU
04-15-09, 11:03 PM
I don't know man... Do you really think getting lightweight wheels will really affect the performance.

Trust me when I say I understand the whole power/weight ratio, but at 6600 lbs or so, it's not the same as a 3300 lbs sports car.

They say 100 lbs is worth a tenth in the 1/4, but at our weight, that's not really the case.

I think the cost off the lightweight wheels wouldn't be justified with the minimal performance gains.

Sure it's rotational weight and all, but unless you were considering a lightweight driveshaft, brakes, seats, etc... is it really worth it?

I haven't done any research on our Lac's in regards to weight savings, but I have an 11.326 @ 121.410 ET Mustang, so I have some experience with track results.

Yes. It VASTLY improves everything. Braking, handling, accelerating. My 22's weigh in at 90 lbs. and stock 17's weigh in at about 65 lbs. Thats a difference of about 25 lbs per wheel. So you get rid of 100 lbs which you are right isn't a big deal in our heavy ass trucks, but this is 100 lbs of rotational mass. It all has to do with rotational inertia (momentum). But best i can explain it in simple form is imagine turning a 10 lbs cement wheel compared to a 50 lbs wheel. The heavier wheel will take more power to accelerate AND to stop.
I too know a little about track times. Had a 98 SS with ONLY bolt ons (stock cam, heads, motor) and i was running high 10's in the 1/4. Best 1/8 mile was 6.79 i believe. Wuith only 360 rwhp. All because of taking weight out.
This mod is actually making me money too. I'm looking to trade my 22's for some stock 17's plus cash. with the extra cash i can buy my cam, sptings and a converter!

SUX2BU
04-15-09, 11:06 PM
Check out this guy. He dropped a full second off his 1/4 mile time by just switching wheels.
http://performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=427401&highlight=wheel+change+1%2F4

luxurylife33
04-16-09, 12:16 AM
I'm not calling that guy out, but you cant believe everything you see online. And im just wondering, why race an escalade? Why not buy a car thats 1/2 the weight (camaro, mustang, civic, etc) as a second car and screw with that..... i just dont understand why people would want to bring their escalade to the track, but to each his own. Good luck!

SUX2BU
04-16-09, 12:29 AM
I'm not calling that guy out, but you cant believe everything you see online. And im just wondering, why race an escalade? Why not buy a car thats 1/2 the weight (camaro, mustang, civic, etc) as a second car and screw with that..... i just dont understand why people would want to bring their escalade to the track, but to each his own. Good luck!

Been there done that. Here's a vid of my old Camaro.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/SUX2BU-vs-TINKRD_34463.htm
everyone and their mom races a Camaro, Firebird or Mustang. A lot of people around here have started racing late model trucks. My goal is to ba able to romp on 90% of the sport cars i come up to on the street in my big ass Escalade. So for it to run 12's in the 1/4. I just want to be different.

SUX2BU
04-16-09, 12:39 AM
I miss my car.:crying:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/719068-few-vids-my-car-goin-down-1-8-a.html

luxurylife33
04-16-09, 01:25 AM
ever see that 12 sec escalade on you tube? looks like the only way to get it that fast is to dump a SC kit in there. Post pics and results :)

SUX2BU
04-16-09, 01:30 AM

I've been modding these LSx motors for 10 years so i know what to believe and what not to believe. the guy also went down in tire diameter so it's like he went up a ger ratio in the rear end. Plus he got a much better 60' with the different tires so that acounts for a lot of the drop too. i'm not expecting a whole second going back to the 17's, probably 1/2 a second in the 1/4 which should be about 3/10's in the 1/8 or so.

SUX2BU
04-16-09, 01:31 AM
ever see that 12 sec escalade on you tube? looks like the only way to get it that fast is to dump a SC kit in there. Post pics and results :)

Yeah, but i'm gonna do everything i can before going FI.

pcguy760
04-16-09, 02:02 AM

I TOTALLY agree with the above statement because this is exactly what i have done and I am happy I did :) I basically cruise in my 'Lade and basically beat the crap (on sunny most days) out of my approx. 350Whp turbo Civic because I KNOW 1. The parts are cheap, 2. I have built this car so I know anything and everything about it, 3. If it ever broke it would be in my garage with no expensive mechanic costs. I like my idea and not saying you should get a Honda lol, get whatever you wish and take it from there...

I just cannot see the point in turning the Escalade into a 1/4 Mile vehicle or a speedster :cool: but that's just my opinion so don't take it the wrong way :thumbsup:

SUX2BU
04-16-09, 02:24 AM
I TOTALLY agree with the above statement because this is exactly what i have done and I am happy I did :) I basically cruise in my 'Lade and basically beat the crap (on sunny most days) out of my approx. 350Whp turbo Civic because I KNOW 1. The parts are cheap, 2. I have built this car so I know anything and everything about it, 3. If it ever broke it would be in my garage with no expensive mechanic costs. I like my idea and not saying you should get a Honda lol, get whatever you wish and take it from there...

I just cannot see the point in turning the Escalade into a 1/4 Mile vehicle or a speedster :cool: but that's just my opinion so don't take it the wrong way :thumbsup:

Parts are cheap for the escalade too (well for me atleast)
I know everything about my truck. Have built many race cars and worked on lots of trucks.
I work on these vehicles as a side job so no mechanic costs here either.

ZaC851
04-16-09, 09:50 PM
Parts are cheap for the escalade too (well for me atleast)
I know everything about my truck. Have built many race cars and worked on lots of trucks.
I work on these vehicles as a side job so no mechanic costs here either.

I hope your going F/I atleast. I'm assuming your not doing a turbo setup since you've already did LT headers... But I would bet its going to take atleast 550rwhp to get that thing to do 12s...As awesome as it would be to make mine fast....its just not worth me spending A LOT of money on it because of the huge disadvantage with wieght. I think I'll call it quits after this cam and LT headers install....I'm not expecting anymore than 300rwhp anyway..

Good luck..

The Lac
04-18-09, 01:11 PM
I've got a set of stock wheels off my '03. They've only got 38K miles on them.

Where are you located?

SUX2BU
04-19-09, 12:50 AM
I've got a set of stock wheels off my '03. They've only got 38K miles on them.

Where are you located?

DFW you?

oldworld
04-19-09, 03:23 PM
I don't see it myself either......sort of like taking an 07 vette, and turning it into a family sedan so it can compete with the dodge caravans..lol
Just my two cents...but whatever floats your boat....
Good luck with your project in any event

The Lac
04-19-09, 07:47 PM
I'm in San Jose, CA.

I've got a set in my storage right now. How serious are you? Willing to pay for shipping from 95132?

SUX2BU
04-20-09, 12:22 AM
I'm in San Jose, CA.

I've got a set in my storage right now. How serious are you? Willing to pay for shipping from 95132?

Very serious but not willing to pay shipping. Last time i shipped a set of wheels it was like $250-$300.

The Lac
04-20-09, 10:31 PM
Very serious but not willing to pay shipping. Last time i shipped a set of wheels it was like $250-$300.

Sorry man. Mine are in perfect condition too, but I can't really help if you don't want to ship them.

Coming to the Bay Area on a road trip anytime?

I'd love to help out another gear head.

SUX2BU
04-21-09, 06:39 PM
Sorry man. Mine are in perfect condition too, but I can't really help if you don't want to ship them.

Coming to the Bay Area on a road trip anytime?

I'd love to help out another gear head.

well i'm trying to sell them local or trade for 17's plus cash. If they don't sell here would you be willing to split the shipping in trading wheels plus cash?

SUX2BU
04-22-09, 07:43 PM
Went to a stock wheel wholesaler andd he had lots of stock wheels for me to weigh!
Stock chrome 17" rim 24.5 lbs
Stock machined 17" rim 22 lbs
Stock chrome 17" with tire 60 lbs
Stock machined 17" with tire 56 lbs (extra difference due to tire tread)
My old stock 22's with tire were 89 lbs.
So i shaved off 116 lbs of weight. But i have read that reducing rotating weight is like removing 4 to 8 times what you actually remove so it's like I lost 464-928 lbs of dead weight.

ZaC851
04-22-09, 08:18 PM
from what I've always heard the rule of thumb is that 100 lbs of actual wieght will net .1-.2 in the quarter but for every pound of rotational mass removed from the car is like removing 10 pounds of actual weight.