: My EXT broke down today

tabascotk
04-15-09, 03:46 PM
I've had this thing for maybe a month, and I love it. What I don't like is that within 2 weeks of owning it I've had to replace the battery, and now the truck broke down on me. I was just driving along, and it killed. Then I tried to start it, and it fired but choked out right away. So I put it in neutral and pushed it to the side of the road. :urb: I hope this isn't the way things are going to go with this vehicle. It's on it's way to the shop right now to get diagnosed. The shop said it may be a fuel pump or ignition module. I can't wait to see the bill on that. :aj: Has anyone else had a problem like this, and if so, is there anything else that may go wrong in the near future. Oh, it's a 2003 with 64k on it.

Rolex
04-15-09, 08:37 PM
If you let the fuel run really low you probably burned up the sending unit pump in the tank. I hope you had your 03 inspected very well before you bought it. Or I hope you purchased a used car warranty. I sincerely hope it turns out to be a reliable vehicle for you. Best of luck, and do let us know what they find.

caddyext21
04-16-09, 12:28 AM
about a year ago my 02 ext did the same thing... took it to the dealership and it was the fuel pump.. luckily it was still under warranty and wasnt too expensive... saved a lot tho cost about 1500+ without warranty

tabascotk
04-16-09, 10:54 AM
Well, it turns out it was the fuel pump. $1090 including the tow.

Rolex
04-16-09, 11:32 AM

It's a common problem among all GM SUVs and trucks. Don't get below a quarter tank of gas is you can help it. The sending pump stays cool as long as it's completely submersed in fuel. You let your tank get too low and the pump will overheat and crap out on you. The pump isn't all that expensive itself, but labor costs will kill you.

THanks for the update.

godsdiablo
04-16-09, 11:36 AM

wow. you should have just changed the fuel pump yourself

ESCALADOR
04-16-09, 11:55 AM
wow. you should have just changed the fuel pump yourself

:yeah:

$1090!! That is ridiculous.

I am glad I am able to do these repairs myself when/if the time comes...

tabascotk
04-16-09, 03:29 PM
Well, I typically do the repairs myself. The problem is that I don't have any spare time for 2 weeks for the repair and I need a vehicle to drive. Oh well. Thanks for the tip Rolex, I'll be sure to do that.

luxurylife33
04-16-09, 05:28 PM
how easy is it to change a fuel pump on these trucks? does the tank have to be dropped on the EXT, or is there an opening to get to it???

mark.blend
04-17-09, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the insight regarding the low fuel reaction to the fuel pump!

Can someone explain the general steps to replace the fuel pump. I will plan on such action for my 05 (30K miles) - it will probably happen!
thanks, mark/denver

ewill3rd
04-17-09, 07:42 AM
The fuel tank must be removed. It is easier than it used to be but...

You disconnect the fuel and EVAP lines, the fuel filler hose, remove the straps and lower the tank to access the electrical connection and take the tank out. A lock ring holds the pump sender in and it comes right out.
I usually fill my tank when it hits 1/4 or so.
Keeping the fuel filter changed at MOST every 2 years and keeping the fuel level up help.
Sometimes they just go bad.