: help needed asap

95stsrider
04-15-09, 01:57 PM
i need to know if a steering colum out of a 93 fwb will work in a 94 fwb. i bout my 94 and the guy had taking thwe weel off and lost everything on the inside of the colum. please let me know asap if it will work so i can go and get one frome the junk yard today. thanks jeremy

jayoldschool
04-15-09, 02:47 PM
What do you mean, "lost everything"?

Yes, the column will fit. The problem will be that the 94 has VATS (security chip in the key), and the 93 doesn't. So, you need to hook up the VATS stuff to work. At a minimum, you will need to swap the key cylinder and wiring from the 94 column into the 93. Personally, I would do it the other way around: take the missing pieces you need for the 94 from the 93 column...

jey
04-15-09, 04:23 PM
My 93 has the Passlock system with a resister (chip) on the key. Still sounds like you're better off using your original key cylinder as the junkyard probably won't have a key for that steering column.

drmenard
04-15-09, 08:20 PM
I have had trouble with the vats keys systems... when aftermarket remote starters were put in and with frayed or broken wires going to the key...what I have done ,and it got rid of all my starting problems, is ....measure the ohmage of the resistor in the key... then go to radioshack and get some resistors so I came up with the same ohmage and then disconnect the wire going to the key and wire in the resistors.... sooner or later those wires going to the key will break...

jayoldschool
04-15-09, 09:37 PM
Sorry, I assumed the VATS (passkey) started in 94 in the Fleetwoods like it did in the Caprice/Roadmaster/Impala.

thefleetwoodguy
04-15-09, 10:48 PM
i need to know if a steering colum out of a 93 fwb will work in a 94 fwb. i bout my 94 and the guy had taking thwe weel off and lost everything on the inside of the colum. please let me know asap if it will work so i can go and get one frome the junk yard today. thanks jeremy

I have a blue steering column with key from a 95 will work for you
let me know if you need it JIM
thefleetwoodguy@gmail.com

N0DIH
04-16-09, 10:37 AM
Go to car-part.com look up column for your car and see how many cars interchange. They are VERY accurate in most cases. Once in a while whacked, but most often dead on.