Cadillac Owners Forum banner

GAUGING INTEREST: BLUETOOTH Parrot MKI9100 conversion

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ocabrera 
#1 ·
I am gauging interest on if the members would be interested if I were to document a coversion to a Parrott MKI9100 hand-free bluetooth system for Cadillac SRX 2007-2008 models. This would not interfeer with your current Onstar sysytem. See below for product description:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

I have looked into this unit and I like it because it is small, inobstrusive and offers lots of features including a steering wheel mounted control with wireless communication to "brain" as high quality dual microphone and well as phone book linkage to most bluetooth enabled phones as well as mp3 sreaming and USB capability for usage with thumb drives or other types of MP3 players. Also sound output would be implemented through the cars speakers.

My install would be fully documented with pictures and explanations and I would attemp:)t the least obtrusive method of install, I am considering installing the display unit where the 'ashtray' is and running cable to the 'secret' storage compartment above the glove box for ipod/USB connections. I would like to place the control mechanism near the stick shifter but space is limited there. It seems like the steering wheel is the best location for that anyway.

Anyway, please let me know also indicate if this write up and subsequent performance review would entice you to buy a unit from Parrot. This car is too expensive to be chatting with a phone to your ear!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
While I can't say I'd be jumping on your offer right now I applaud your technical solution to a simple problem. I just bought a 2009 SRX and am disappointed it doesn't come with Bluetooth. I live in a state that requires HFD and work on a USAF base that also requires HFD.

I looked at BlueStar, LOCKPICK and those clip on battery powered devices. For me all three solve some but not all of my concerns/needs.

So for now I've opted to buy some OnStar minutes since I'm paying for at least the first year of my OnStar subscription and got the remaining months of the 12 free months that come with new 2009's. So for $199 I have 17 months of OnStar. I also bought 200 minutes and they rolled in the 30 free giving me 230 for the year - more than enough for my needs for about $60.

After that I will want a fully integrated BT solution, that uses the built in GM hardware (MIC, speakers and steering wheel controls). Short of that I'm not sure I want a partial solution.

Why GM took the half-assed solution to a problem every other manufacture has embraced called Bluetooth.

But I will monitor your creative technical solution.

Good luck.

#3 ·
GM integrated Bluetooth into all their 2009 Cadillac models except SRX, due to the fact that production for '09 was very brief and they're gearing up for the new 2010.

I'm sure everyone would love to see a detailed writeup on installing the Parrot. Thanks for offering.

#4 ·
I would certainly be interested, and it's cool that it includes the extra ipod and USB card features for music. I wish there was a way to use the vehicles built in MIC in addition to the speakers, but if you can find a really great hiding place for the MIC then I guess its no biggie. So yes I'd be very interested in seeing your writeup and photos. Take alot of really clear photos, make sure to show which wires you tap into for the speakers.

#5 ·
yah i hear up, the last thing I want is to have a shoddy looking $45k car. My plan is to wire the auxiliary wire (for accesories) into the space above the glove box. Also run the double microphone underneath the dash board and into the drivers side A pillar, along the modling there and up the windshiield. The mic would reside clipped to the visor and I may try to use a dab of hot glue to keep the wire in place and taut to the ceiling cover. The mki9100 is also one of the smaller, clearer (OLED) units that parrot makes. My goal is to mount the siaply unit inside the ashtray (even if I have to modify it) that way the unit would be completely concealed (by closing the ashtray) to deter any thieves. Steeting wheel is the natural spor for the control center.
I will only do this if I can find a harness to tie it all together, no way am I going to cut and splice into the wires of the car....This plan is in the developing phases but I hope to make it happen and if I do I will document for you all to follow along.

#10 · (Edited)
I wanted to install the Parrot but then there was a problem to combine this with my SRX bose system :hmm:. My car is a 2005 model without XM. I selected this device also to have a connection for my ipod but then music will be heard only through the front speakers. In that case a FM-transmitter is even better. When there is a solution for this problem I will buy it within a second.

cheers boefie

#11 ·
I am getting the unit tomorrow and I really do not have a time or date on the install but it should be soon after that. I have dealt with Parrot at several levels and I can tell you that these guys will stand by the product. I will not go into too much detail but let's just say that if things work out and the functionality is solid you should seriously consider these guys over some other solution. Unfortunately I will not be able to give much feedback regardgin pre-2007 models as mine is a 2008 and I will not be able to comment on that.

#13 ·
I have an 09, and can not believe that bluetooth and Iphone aren't already installed... hell.... those things come standard in a Kia and Hundai now! Why didn't GM put them in our SRX's..

Oh wait... yea..... they make money if we use the OnStar Phone and XM Radio... so they really don't want us using our Cell Phone and IPods.

I have a Motorola Hands Free unit that fits in a cup holder I use sometimes... or I just wear my BT-Earbud.

#14 ·
happy to report......the unit has FINALLY been installed, I had way too much on my plate to worry about it to be honest with you. All I know is that my wife seems to like it and she will no longer drive while holding the phone to her ear....:thepan:
I plan to spend a little more time in the car this weekend in order to provide a bit more feedback. The unit was installed by a proshop using a completely plug and play harness from safewireless.com for a GM 2008+ bose radio non-nav unit. I will make sure to take pictures and post. The install guy said the only thing he neede to splice into was a powered 'switched on' lead, harness did the rest.
I can tell you that I happened to pop into the shop while they had a good chunk of the center dash taken apart and I can tell you that I am GLAD I did not take this install upon myself and I have installed radios and amps in my cars in the past. I think I could have done a decent job of it though the finish would never have been as clean as these guys did. I also had them add a iphone harness so the phone can now be charged by the parrot unit. Also, the phone can now stream tunes over bluetooth and cradle and I also have connectivity to a USB reader and 3.5mm phone output for other MP3 players and flash drives.....ALSO:

the installer said they had 'adjusted' my bose unit....he said they found the output (gain) of the unit to be really low and they had jacked it up to 9 out of 10. If you think about it GM has all the reason in the world to do that since if you listen to tunes at louder volumes you are more likely to blow your speakers....and hence require warranty service. So just so everyone knows there is a way to increase the output of your bose headunit hidden behind the dash....I will be doing more tests this weekend and will report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.