Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Help me diagnose diff or tranny noise.

755 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mrchris1979 
#1 ·
On my way home from the late shift, I pulled in to a parking space on neutral, clutch out, making a slow sharp right turn. I could hear a faint grinding noise coming from the rear diff or possibly from the gears in the tranny. Is this considered differential chatter or is something else going on here? The noise only occurs on sharp right turn during the conditions above but not on left turns. The grinding noise is not audible if the car is in gear however. Only on neutral. Also just replaced the rear diff fluid with Royal Purple 75-90w a week ago. Planning on trying Amsoil SG and Slip Lock additive to help reduce the whine during normal driving. It's way too early/late to be driving in circles right now so I'm gonna try to check it out some more latter on.

#2 ·
Sounds like you may need the additive, or the Royal purple hasn't worked its way into your clutch packs good enough yet.
This has been covered before.

Tony

#3 ·
The clutches in a limited slip differential (LSD) rear can make some eery noises. The LSD in my Cobra sounded like the entire differential was crumbling while going around a sharp turn under load. The clutches were shot in this case but if the lubricant you are does not contain the limited slip additive, you may experience some noise.

I wouldn't expect a gear oil change to "fix" any gear whine.

#4 ·
Guess It won't hurt to try out Amsoil fluid anyway. After the dealer installed the UUC diff bushing, the whine has become more audible and they suggested to replace the fluid with the GM stuff and additive. That service alone was gonna be $120 from them so no thanks. I could do it my self with better product. I'll be patient with the diff a bit longer but if it gets worse, it's going back to the dealer. Hopefully this won't be the sixth diff on the V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.