: Pontiac to add hood scoops on GTO

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 05:03 PM
Pontiac to add hood scoops on GTO

By Richard Truett
Automotive News / June 24, 2003

DETROIT -- The 2005 Pontiac GTO will be restyled to include hood scoops, General Motors sources said.

The 2004 model GTO, which does not have hood scoops, has prompted GTO fans to write letters to GM asking the automaker to bring back the scoops that were on the original 1964 GTO. The scoops enhanced the car's performance image.

Hood scoops force air into the engine. It is unclear if the scoops will be functional or decorative.

The new GTO is a rear-wheel-drive high-performance coupe with a 5.7-liter engine derived from the Chevrolet Corvette. Pontiac officials say the car's acceleration, handling and braking will be the best ever in a GTO.

HotRodSaint
06-24-03, 05:04 PM
So if they aren't functional, is that rice?

shaggygrosser
06-24-03, 05:40 PM

Good question. I'll go on a limb and say "No". Here's why:

Rice, to me, is when someone decorates their car with stickers, spoilers, fart cannons, etc. that really makes it look gawdy and offensively noisy to Joe Sixpack. What's worse is when the car cannot back-up the stickers performance-wise.

That said, if the GTO hood scoops are not functional, at least it's TASTEFULLY decorative (I understand it's a matter of opinion, but that's what forums are for ;) ). In addition, the GTO is more than enough car to back up that performance look.

so "No" is my final answer :D

catbert
06-24-03, 07:35 PM

If an Pontiac sucks air in the woods and nobody hears it - is it really a scoop? :confused:

Katshot
06-24-03, 10:46 PM
What is your hang-up on RICE?
Can't we just get back to where only Japanese cars are rice-burners? American OEM's have a LONG history of adding "non-functional" items to their cars purely for marketing reasons. If this is news to anyone here, I would suggest we start a new thread to compile as many of these "fake" performance items as we can and it should serve as a reminder that American cars have MORE reasons to be called nasty names (like "rice") than we'd like to admit.

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 07:59 AM
What is your hang-up on RICE?
Can't we just get back to where only Japanese cars are rice-burners? American OEM's have a LONG history of adding "non-functional" items to their cars purely for marketing reasons. If this is news to anyone here, I would suggest we start a new thread to compile as many of these "fake" performance items as we can and it should serve as a reminder that American cars have MORE reasons to be called nasty names (like "rice") than we'd like to admit.

Relax, it was a tongue-in-cheek joke. :banghead2

At least they aren't placing a Judge sticker on the rear corner panel or placing a rear wing on the trunk. Now that would really be rice! :burn:

HotRodSaint
06-25-03, 08:02 AM
If an Pontiac sucks air in the woods and nobody hears it - is it really a scoop? :confused:

That all depends on if it's the bear driving or the pope. :banghead2

juhko
06-26-03, 03:11 AM
I'm a huge fan of the GTO, had one back in high school before I got the Caddy bug...
What's your guys'/gals favorite year of the GTO?
I'm with '68 - (convertible please...)

shaggygrosser
06-26-03, 09:52 AM
I'm a huge fan of the GTO, had one back in high school before I got the Caddy bug...
What's your guys'/gals favorite year of the GTO?
I'm with '68 - (convertible please...)

'67 GTO would be my pick

Night Wolf
06-26-03, 10:37 AM
'67 GTO would be my pick

Same here

My father has a '68 rag top, it is his high school car.... just 1 of about 15 old Pontiacs around there.