: Performance Chips? Pros & Cons? Why & Why Not?

zerocarpileup
04-12-09, 11:05 PM
So ive been thinking of adding a little more to my 6.0, so far i have the Corsa Sport Exhaust system and a Injen CAI. I heard so may people adding the performance chips but i have seen so many in different price ranges. Ebay has some for 40 bucks that look like they will just mess up your engine, while ive also seen others that are well over 300-400 bucks. so my question is
Why would want i add a performance chip and why shouldn't i. What kind of them are out there and which ones are worth the money.

ZaC851
04-12-09, 11:34 PM
So ive been thinking of adding a little more to my 6.0, so far i have the Corsa Sport Exhaust system and a Injen CAI. I heard so may people adding the performance chips but i have seen so many in different price ranges. Ebay has some for 40 bucks that look like they will just mess up your engine, while ive also seen others that are well over 300-400 bucks. so my question is
Why would want i add a performance chip and why shouldn't i. What kind of them are out there and which ones are worth the money.

those ebay chips are worthless IMO

I'd rather get a dyno tune...a good tuner will use something like HPtuners software and tweak different things to gain more HP but with your mods that you have...i cant see you gaining more than 20-30rwhp with a tune. expect to pay a couple hundred for a dyno tune though...

pcguy760
04-13-09, 01:09 PM
On a basically stock motor (no major mods like a supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) it is not worth it in my opinion. Dyno tuning can cost $150+ p/hr as well. Although this has nothing to do with an Escalade, I remember spending around $500 to get my highly modified Turbo Civic dyno tuned and a new chip burned - I was quite happy in the end since it put out around 350whp / 250 Tq :)

Also, I bought one of those expensive programmers for my Expedition and honestly, I BARELY felt any difference for the $320 I spent on it. Now it might be different on other vehicles but that's my experience...

SUX2BU
04-13-09, 07:40 PM
those ebay chips are worthless IMO

I'd rather get a dyno tune...a good tuner will use something like HPtuners software and tweak different things to gain more HP but with your mods that you have...i cant see you gaining more than 20-30rwhp with a tune. expect to pay a couple hundred for a dyno tune though...

Ditto.

luxurylife33
04-13-09, 08:38 PM
"chips" are garbage. They dump tons of fuel into the motor, makes ur car run rich, tricks a few sensors, etc. The only way to make more HP is to bring the truck to a shop to get dyno tuned. You CAN NOT buy a chip online and expect it to work with your exact setup. I can not think of 1 "pro" to go with these chips, they will ruin your engine!

JERKSTORE
08-05-09, 10:24 AM
Get a Dyno Tune from a shop that knows what they are doing.

dswanger
08-05-09, 07:13 PM
Here is a little Fact! A Predictor hand held will increase your Hp. maybe 15-20 hp., and a cold air intake will also help. The real advantage is in setting ALL your different settings, with the transmission, shift Points. firm settings. If you can learn to use the cruise more and keep your foot out of it, it will be worth 2 mpg easy. Donald