Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Houdini 
#1 ·
My V has a blown FG2 shock. It has been at the dealer for a week and they say the GM supplier is out of stock and the shock is on back order. They have been calling other dealerships to see if they have any FG2s. Nothing yet.

I saw some FG2s sold on fleabay recently and nothing right now on the forum. If the delar can not find a replacement what is a good option?

#2 ·
Contact Luke @ Lindsay, I think someone said recently that he could get one or two somehow.

There was a complete set in the classifieds but I think they just sold on ebay.

How many miles on your V?

#3 ·
I was looking for those shocks a couple of weeks ago and opted for the QA1s. Nice adjustable shock and less expensive than the FG2.

#5 ·
The car has 39k on it and the shock died. I'm careful not to hit potholes and I don't race it so it's hard to believe it is time to replace shocks already. It's even harder to believe GM doesn't have any in stock and no dealers seem to have any. I believe if the dealer sold me the car with these shocks they should support them.

So what kind of mileage are you guys getting from your QA1s?

I wonder if there are any warranty issues if I just replace the 2 fronts and leave the good FG2s on the rear?

#13 ·
Luke,

Any word from GM if they will sell a single shock?

It sure would be great to get my car back on the road. This is like having 1 tire go bad and not being able to find a matching single tire to replace it.

I really like my FG2 shocks but I would not recommend them to anyone since you can not buy a single replacement if one goes bad.

#8 ·
How much do these cost for the kit? My V feels more and more bouncy these days.

#10 ·
I couple of trips down I-696, & M53 in Michigan and your car will feel much worse than bouncy!
More like Loosey Goosey!
It's like every 60ft there is a Pot hole that covers the whole road, ain't no swervin around em, just line em up and hope you hit the shallow part of the hole!

#12 ·
Yeah it is amazing how a bad shock or two can make your car uncontrollable. Just riding on patchy pavement (no potholes) through a low speed turn gets pretty scary as I try to control the car with the tire occasionally touching the ground.

Luke, any word if GM can sell you a single FG2 to fix my baby?

#15 ·
Luke,

Thanks for pressing GM on this issue.

This is like having a single injector go bad and GM saying well you have to buy the set of 8 injectors to fix your 1 injector problem.

Buying 4 shocks to fix 1 bad shock just doesn’t make any sense in this case especially with low mileage on my V.

#17 ·
Interesting point. You may have hit the nail on the head however I doubt GM would ever admit that is the case. Short of actually knowing the FG2 shock vendor’s accountant we probably will never know.

I just hope Luke can pull through for me so I can get my car back on the road. I think Luke and Lindsey Cadillac need to give the GM execs a short course on customer service to help GM and their parts vendors stay in business....

#18 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but to the OP, did you end up finding 1 FG2 front shock? I need 1 FG2 front as well (used preferably since the rest are used).

#19 ·
Yeah they replaced my bad shock last year. Funny thing is I just had the tires replaced last week and when I saw it on the lift I noticed both front shocks didn't have the dash any longer. Once it warms up and melts the snow I'm going to jack it up and check the exact part numbers on the shocks. If the replacement FG2s have no dash then maybe we are OK - if not I have will obviously have an issue. We will see soon.

#20 ·
If they don't have a dash then they are FE4's instead of FG2's. Since the dealer couldn't get a single shock and didn't want 3 singles left in inventory they got you a pair of FE4's instead to get you back on the road. If that was under your warranty I wouldn't be very happy with the result, although they did get you back on the road.

#24 ·
My car came with FG2s new and it was under waranty (and still is) when they swapped the shocks however I am not sure shocks are covered. Aren't shocks "wear items" like brake pads that are not covered?

Anyway they did get me back on the road which was good although it seems wrong IF they did swap the FG2s out for FE4s. We are supposed to get more snow tonight so the V stays under cover. I'll have to jack her up later this week to confirm the part numbers before I start growling.

Is this the right number on the FG2 shock that I am looking for? 88962954

#22 · (Edited)
:yeah:

For what it's worth, a lot of guys have been posting up realitively cheap FG2's on ebay lately...brand new. Keep an eye out, it seems to be the same guy always selling them. I contemplated picking up a set last time he posted them. I guess they fell off the back of the truck :hmm:

#27 ·
Superveee, If your car is still under warranty (39k?) The dealer will have to do what it takes to rectify the situation. Them calling their service rep is a good start and you calling GM Customer service is another. If You're Out of warranty it sounds like time for an upgrade. The FG2s are nice but still a compromise and another choice may be better. Good Luck

#28 · (Edited)
I have my doubts that anything is better. Think of the R&D time that the FG2 shocks got. Do you think ANY aftermarket shock got anything remotely as good? I'd also declare that any adjustable shock is good on paper, bad in practice. It's hard to get a matched damping rate once you start tinkering with the adjustment. And I've heard bad things about QA1 longevity. I always liked Bilsteins but I think the FG2 is going to be the BEST choice with the stock springs. Now if you start changing springs around, that's a different matter entirely...

I am disappointed to see that longevity may be an issue with FG2s on less than perfect pavement, in daily driver duty.

#30 ·
Yeah if this was a warranty repair and they could only get 4... well that sucks for them, but they need to suck it up and buy a full set, heck, see if you could pay a little more to have 4 new shocks put on it. (granted i know the original issue was a year ago)

Heck now that they tried to get you out of there with fe4's i would demand all 4 fg2's to make up for it. (heck they already worked themselves up to needing 2 new front shocks instead of 1)

#33 ·
I'm waiting for the dealer to call back to discuss what they are going to do. The 2 things that get me is I have very few miles since the FE4s were installed and they look to be some high mileage shocks just from their paint loss and faded appearance. The other thing is they just lied to me. I asked them twice to confirm and they said yes they replaced my FG2s with FG2s. The reason I asked is because the ride seemed different...

I am still under the GMPP major guard warranty and trusted the dealer to do the job correctly. A customer should not have to jack the car up and pull the tires to confirm the dealer did their job. Guess I'll have to call them back today since voice mail seems to be ignored over there.

Hopefully FG2s are still available from the dealer....

#35 · (Edited)
The latest twist is the dealer left me a voice mail that says GMPP major guard does not cover shocks. OK now I feel like an idiot for not checking that out first. Guess the dealer was going above and beyond by giving me used FE4s.

If I had read my warranty I should have just bought the replacement FG2s. I need to look for a deal on FG2s now...

Someone kick me in the ass.

#36 ·
LOL after your complaints I doubt your dealer is going to be so friendly next time. You've been BLACKLISTED! :) Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.