: 1988 cadillac brougham symphony radio problems.

dylanm
04-12-09, 08:13 PM
hi I am now starting to fix the little things on my cadillac first on the list is the radio, the radio snaps and crackles all the time, on all speakers, and some times it stops for know reason, and will start again with no reason, when it doing it sound sound quality go's down a bit to.
I tried many ways to see if any thing triggers it. but nothing dose.
it mostly crackles, and snaps when it changes from good or bad.
when a press the digital noise reduction button it gets even more worst.
but digital noise reduction button is fine when it's not doing it.
I don't know if it the radio or the amp, if it has one, I know old radio system used amps, and it may be dead, or the whole radio.
do you guys know what the problem is? and how to fix it, or do I need a whole new radio, I kinda wanted to keep the stock look, but if I have no choice i put in a new radio. this is every thing I know so far, and it's no the speakers.
thanks in advance.

sven914
04-13-09, 09:40 AM
it mostly crackles, and snaps when it changes from good or bad.

What do you mean by that?

akimball442
04-13-09, 10:31 PM
Pretty much any GM radio from that era will fit. Just be sure the plugs match, see if you can find one in a scrap yard.

dylanm
04-14-09, 05:13 PM
well what I mean from good or bad is that, it will be fine one min, and bad the next, but mostly bad, as in bad as in the problem, good as in no problem at all

mjs182004
04-15-09, 09:24 AM
hey mine does the same thing sometimes! usually mine only does it to the right speakers. but i don't know the cause of the problem. sorry

dylanm
04-15-09, 11:57 AM
hey mine does the same thing sometimes! usually mine only does it to the right speakers. but i don't know the cause of the problem. sorry

ya mine on all speakers, and it's always at the same volume I should add,
if the radio is all the way down on volume you still here it, and if it's all the way up it's no louder then it is when it all the way down.
so volume makes no difference.
I also tried hitting big bumps to see if that dose any thing and it dose not.
I tried about every thing I can think of that I can do with out taking apart my dash.
since no one really has any ideas so for maybe I try taking it out and see if all the wires are good, unplug it and put it back in, and see if I can find the Amp, I am really thinking it could be the amp if it has one, because the radio dose not do any thing to make the problem start, and it dose nothing to make it stop. so it must be a wire problem or the amp.
if I do that and it still dose not work.
I try another GM radio from the time, I am sure I can pick a old one up that will fit for next to nothing, and if the problem still there it must be the amp if it external and is hiding some were, or the wires.
dose any one know the how to take apart the dash a a Cadillac brougham?
it would be great to have something to go by before I wing it.
and also how to take out the radio if there's any thing special.
I don't want to brake any thing.
let me know thanks, and if any one else knows of the problem it self that be even better. thanks in advance.

75sled
04-15-09, 04:22 PM
Not sure if this will help, but I had an '83 Olds 98 that had some stereo issues and I took the head unit out and retouched all of the solder joints and it fixed the problems.

carnut
04-15-09, 05:37 PM
If this is a BOSE Radio, then the amps are failing. There is one in each speaker enclosure. Easy to verify. The 2 on the rear shelf can be accessed easy to see the amp secured to the speaker magnet. If not a BOSE, then spraying tuner cleaner from radioshack behind the volume knob can help. Make sure you remove the knobs first so as to not discolor the radio faceplate when spraying.

akimball442
04-15-09, 10:12 PM
I don't think Bose was ever offered in the RWD, at least I've never seen it.

The problem is that the amplifier chips are failing in the output of the radio.

I know on earlier models the chip was DM133, I'm not 100% sure on yours. It's a fairly inexpensive part, but it may be more work than it's worth to you.

The stereo is easily replaced. I used to repair the two shaft ETR radios that came in the RWD's up to 1986. Those are very nice radios.

dylanm
04-16-09, 12:14 PM
I don't think Bose was ever offered in the RWD, at least I've never seen it.

The problem is that the amplifier chips are failing in the output of the radio.

I know on earlier models the chip was DM133, I'm not 100% sure on yours. It's a fairly inexpensive part, but it may be more work than it's worth to you.

The stereo is easily replaced. I used to repair the two shaft ETR radios that came in the RWD's up to 1986. Those are very nice radios.

so these amplifier chips are inside the radio. or outside?
how would I fix it?
and by the way the radio I think is made by delco, this is the higher end one with the tape drive that has symphony sound on the front. so it's not a bose.
I got my hands on a old delco radio from a old 1981 pontiac would that work in the cadillac, this to test, because if that radio works fine then I know for sure the old radio is the problem,
and how dose the dash come apart.
I see two screws and some clips I think thats all I have to do, take out the screws and pull the clips. but some advise before I do it would be nice, I don't want to brake any thing you know. thanks for your help so far guys.

dylanm
04-16-09, 12:51 PM
okay I tried to take the radio out, but I get to this point, I am on the dash of my brougham and I taken out the two screws but now there seems to be to clips at the top of it. I don't see how how to remove it.
I worried I am going to brake the clips and it well not stay on right.
how to I get it off from this point. thanks

mjs182004
04-20-09, 10:06 AM
can you post a pic of the radio. on mine the air vent sliders(opens and closes the vent) have little knobs at the end that have set screws on the bottom of them that have to come off.

akimball442
04-20-09, 10:19 PM
so these amplifier chips are inside the radio. or outside?
how would I fix it?
and by the way the radio I think is made by delco, this is the higher end one with the tape drive that has symphony sound on the front. so it's not a bose.
I got my hands on a old delco radio from a old 1981 pontiac would that work in the cadillac, this to test, because if that radio works fine then I know for sure the old radio is the problem,
and how dose the dash come apart.
I see two screws and some clips I think thats all I have to do, take out the screws and pull the clips. but some advise before I do it would be nice, I don't want to brake any thing you know. thanks for your help so far guys.

The amplifier chips are soldered to a circuit board and bolted to the heat sink on the side of the radio. You would not have a Bose, as it was not offered. The Bose units do not have internal amplifiers, yours does.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the radio is not special. Nor are the speakers. 'Symphony Sound' is just a hoax. The only difference between your radio and the one in a 1988 Pontiac or Chevy is the faceplate.....

.... to the point that if you can go to a junkyard and find a good one you can just swap the faceplate out. They just put 'Symphony Sound' to make it more upscale for a Cadillac I guess. Buick had 'Concert Sound.' Olds had something like 'Dimensional Sound System.' They were all the same radios.

If you have the type with the auto advancing cassette deck (the one that will automatically go to the next track), those are slightly more rare.

I'd really suggest upgrading or replacing- it's a $5.00 radio anymore.

akimball442
04-20-09, 10:21 PM
okay I tried to take the radio out, but I get to this point, I am on the dash of my brougham and I taken out the two screws but now there seems to be to clips at the top of it. I don't see how how to remove it.
I worried I am going to brake the clips and it well not stay on right.
how to I get it off from this point. thanks

From wiki:

The two vents on the upper part of the central panel can be taken off. There are two prongs that need to be pulled in on either side of each vent. Once those are out you can see more screws.

steelybill
04-21-09, 11:27 PM
My '85 Fleetwood FWD had a "Symphony" radio, with Bose speakers. The radio would crap out about the time something was interesting on the news station.
My fix was a new Pioneer from Crutchfield, with an adapter to wire it to the Bose speakers. I had another GM radio, but the connectors were a bit different, and the Caddy radio wiring even went to the BCM for some reason which I didn't investigate Anyway, the new radio works great, with a CD/MP3 player, and even a wireless remote ( which is still in the wrapper):thumbsup:

dylanm
04-23-09, 09:47 PM
can you post a pic of the radio. on mine the air vent sliders(opens and closes the vent) have little knobs at the end that have set screws on the bottom of them that have to come off.

hmm.... little knobs. that come off, can you explain more, I do not have a pic right now that is directly of them, but I have some that are near it.
and I have a youtube video that kinda shows them, the video is of my car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pp-DAjj68s&feature=channel_page
and here the one of my pic.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=432&pictureid=2033
let me know more on that tomorrow I go and see if I can figure it out on my self. but if you can tell me that be good, knowing me if I don't see how it works I will not try because I worry about barking things.
and I stick in this radio I picked up for nothing from my grand father and see if that fixes it, it's getting even worse, now sometimes it cuts out completely, now I don't even have it on when I drive. to annoying.
Thanks for all your help.
and since that radio is this a radio with a faceplate maybe I go to a junker and see how they come apart and take the faceplate off and knobs and put them on a new one. thanks for all your help!

mjs182004
04-24-09, 10:57 AM
oh sorry man mine is different. I don't know how yours comes apart.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/winterpics009.jpg

dylanm
04-24-09, 09:43 PM
oh sorry man mine is different. I don't know how yours comes apart.
explain any ways they may be the same, I tried some things but since I don't know i took it easy. there's a chance it's the same.

dylanm
04-26-09, 09:42 PM
okay now my radio has stopped working all together today, all I hear is a very silent sound in the back ground. so I guess the amp is dead. and by what I heard from you guys is the the amp is internal. so I have to replace the whole radio.
problem is I do not know how to get it out. If there is ANY one who knows how to get the radio out of a 1987 to 1989 cadillac brougham please tell me. I have no radio to listen to now. and I do not want to pay $100's for some shop to do it, and I kinda worry they well brake my dash too.
So if any one knows how to take it out please tell me. thanks.

also once i fix this I am going to want to know how to take out the front speakers, is it as heard as it looks?
but that dose not matter till some one tells me how to get the radio out so i can replace it. thanks.

akimball442
04-27-09, 07:40 PM
The dash pad has to come off to get the speakers out. It's not hard.

The radio's trim bezel has to be removed.

There are some obvious screws. Look up, down, all around.

Remove the vents. There are screws above them. Then just pull the trim bezel off.

After that, removing the radio should be fairly obvious. If the radio does not want to come out after removing the screws, there MAY be a screw that you have to get up from under the ashtray, but I don't think so on that year.

dylanm
04-29-09, 12:19 PM
thanks for all your help I found one of my friends who new how to get the radio out on my model. what I had to do was look inside the vents and there 2 clips on each side that I have to push out. and the vents come out. after that I would see two screws were each vent were up top, took those out and the two screws on the side that are easy to see with out doing any thing, after that I took the panel off. and the radio has 3 bolts, two on the front, and one lower one under it kinda. I used a socket set to get the all off, and the radio came out. so this should help any one who is trying to do what I am doing.

now what I want to know is how to get the front speakers out.
then every thing I want to do with my cadillac radio wise well be done soon.
so dose any one know how to get the front speakers out?
thanks for all you help so far, I really appreciate it.