: Front end rattle and check engine light

jjr8214
04-12-09, 08:12 PM
My wife has a 2004 SRX (V6) with about 35,000 miles. I drove it a few blocks to the store last night and there was a rattle from the front end, seemed to be during slowing down/braking. Didn't make any noise on the way home.

Then this morning we were leaving the house and got a block from the house and the rattle started up again and the check engine light came on.

Anyone experience this before? I am going to call the dealership in the morning to get it looked at.

Meatstick62
02-06-12, 10:47 PM
Sorry for bumping this old thread. I tried to private message the original poster but couldn't find a way to do so. I just wanted to see if this issue was ever diagnosed. We're hearing a similar noise.

jjr8214
02-06-12, 10:57 PM
If I remember correctly it was about a quart low on oil. After I added oil the rattle stopped. That was another issue we had with the car, sometimes it would go through a quart of oil every 2500-3000 miles. Then other times it would go 3000 miles without using any oil. Dealership said it was not unusual for the V6 to go through a quart every 3000 miles. Sold the car last May-June for something with a bit more room. It was a good car just had to check the oil often.

PJ1520
02-07-12, 03:03 PM
Meatstick........you are new here, welcome!!!!!!

Listen to JJR. This GenII SRX forum is loaded with threads and posts regarding the 3.6L V6 mysterious oil consumption, at times alarmingly rapid (one poster losing a quart every 700 miles). You would be best advised to check your motor oil immediately and then every other tank to avoid a very unpleasant surprise and a costly engine repair.

Have your Cadillac dealer or your private mechanic pull the code(s) from the CEL incident and tell you if you have a timing chain problem (another V6 issue heavily discussed here).

Let us know what you find out! Thanks.

PJ

Meatstick62
02-08-12, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the response. I check the oil every few weeks and have noted some oil consumption, but nothing that has alarmed me too much. The most I've ever noticed being low has been about .5 qt.

I started a thread to discuss the noise and posted a video: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/251477-front-end-rattle-chatter-when-coming.html Did the noise sound similar to that?