: Who's test driven a late 90's ETC AND DeVille?

BeelzeBob
06-24-03, 03:46 PM
What I'm looking for here is some opinions on the suspension. I'm not interested in how they handle - I'm interested in the softness of the suspension. I want to know how much better the DeVille feels when going over bumps..

If you had a family member with a bad liver and kidneys in the backseat, which car are you taking them to the hospital in? And why... And how much difference does it really make?

Thank you...

Elvis
06-24-03, 05:11 PM
If you're taking a sick person to the hospital in the BACK SEAT, I would think you'd want to do it in a 4-door car, rather than 2. But that's the only real difference.

As for the ride, I've driven one, ridden in the other. The '95 Eldo (non-ETC) was pretty smooth, better than a Camry, for example. Very acceptable.

The '97 DeVille I was in was a floater. May have been bad shocks, I dunno. But it didn't bother me at all.

Katshot
06-24-03, 11:40 PM
As soon as you're talking used cars, all bets are of when talking about ride quality. You'll have to take every car on an individual basis.

Andrew60SP
06-25-03, 12:23 AM
My brother had a '95 Deville before his '96 ETC. Around town, he prefers the ride of the Deville over the ETC. You feel more of the road imperfections in the Eldo. Along the hiway, they're about the same.

His previous cars have all been floaters, so you may or may not notice a difference.

BeelzeBob
06-25-03, 09:32 AM
The problem I'm having is one I hate to deal with. Every time I see a nice DeVille, I want one.. Every time I see a nice Eldorado, I want one... I'm definitely leaning more toward an ETC than anything - I just love the way they look inside and out. The DeVille, I love the way they look outside - not as much inside... But, if one were to give a MUCH better (softer) ride than the other, I'd probably go that way..

It sounds to me like there's not ALL that much difference between the two.

mnymaker
06-25-03, 03:38 PM
Yeah but what Cadillac actually rides bad???? That's the whole Cadillac premise. You are gonna get a car that rides softer and smoother than anything else GM makes, regardless of the model. So ride might not be the common denominator that your looking for. You might want to try other reasons such as resale value, dependablity, number of bodies you can fit in the trunk, performance, chick magnetability ;), etc... :sneaky:

You know the important stuff

Night Wolf
06-25-03, 04:41 PM
You might want to try other reasons such as resale value, dependablity, number of bodies you can fit in the trunk, performance, chick magnetability

hmm, let's give a quick run down on my car:

resale value

low

dependablity

high to very high

number of bodies you can fit in the trunk

3 comfortably, 6 or 7 if you pack them in

performance

not bad at all

chick magnetability

scale of 1-10, 10 is highest, about a 1.5.... MAYBE 2....
......unlees the chick is going on 80 :D :D :D

Elvis
06-25-03, 05:18 PM
When it comes down to it, if you're talking about bodies in the trunk, comfort really never has been a concern.

SoundAdvantage
06-26-03, 01:32 AM
Sal,
I was just wondering, have you ever had the chance to drive a 95' Fleetwood? Talk about a nice Ride, and the best thing about them is that they don't have a Northstar under the hood! Reliable... :spin: :spin:

BeelzeBob
06-26-03, 09:36 AM
Well.. I've never really been crazy about the looks of the newer Fleetwoods. There's just something about the front and rear that I don't find very nice.. The DeVille is another story... My top choice would be a '98 or newer STS but the '96 or newer ETC is less expensive - and I love the way it looks...

Anyway. That's why I've left the Fleetwood out of any equations.. I don't need a car to be THAT big AND I'm not into the looks... The LT1 would be very nice but it's not enough to sway my decision over my other choices...

Elvis
06-26-03, 11:41 AM
Fuhgeddabouddit Sal, when you get "made" that big trunk is going to come in handy.

SoundAdvantage
06-27-03, 12:00 AM
Sal,
Today i went out to the parking lot to get in my car and right next to my car was this Beautiful Triple Black Fleetwood "Limited" Sal, i looked inside and couldn't believe how nice that car was... To me thats a "Real" Cadillac, and it also had the Northstar Engine. I understand you are looking for somthing more sporty with a center console, i am just the opposite, i like a full bench seat, kind of like driving your living room sofa down the road. :coffee: I never liked the looks of the Fleetwood, just last month i kept seeing them around and i would ask a friend What kind of Caddy is that! IT looks like a Boat! Well Beauty is only skin deep Sal, I have recently found myself falling in love with the "BIG Boats" and now i am in the market for one.

BeelzeBob
06-27-03, 01:43 PM
I hear ya.. And Elvis - I don't need a big trunk for bodies. :p I'm just outside "the family".. :D You must be confusing me with Tony Soprano. :)

Otherwise! I'm not sure what the Fleetwood would give me over the DeVille besides length.. Bigger backseat and trunk? How much bigger could the front be? It's longer than a Suburban.. I just don't need that kind of car...

SoundAdvantage
06-28-03, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Sal Collaziano]I hear ya.. And Elvis - I don't need a big trunk for bodies. :p I'm just outside "the family".. :D You must be confusing me with Tony Soprano. :)

Otherwise! I'm not sure what the Fleetwood would give me over the DeVille besides length.. Bigger backseat and trunk? How much bigger could the front be?

Sal,
What the Fleetwood would give you over the Deville is RELIABILITY ! Your cost to maintain the Fleetwood would be much less than the Deville, i guess it really depends on How long you intend on keeping the car. I personally like the LOOKS of the Eldo and the STS but they because they both have the FWD Northstar under the hood my mechanic told me to stay far away from them because of repair and maintanence costs.
My father was an Aviation mechanic in the Marines, one of the Best, i have been around engines long enough to know whats built well and whats not, it's my personal opinion but i think the German Engineers who designed the Northstar engines have alot of IMPROVING to do to it's design to make it more Reliable. My HT4100 hasn't had the problems alot of these Northstars are having. You can't judge a book by it's cover, and i wouldn't by a car based on looks alone, IT'S Whats Inside that Counts!

Night Wolf
06-29-03, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=Sal Collaziano]I hear ya.. And Elvis - I don't need a big trunk for bodies. :p I'm just outside "the family".. :D You must be confusing me with Tony Soprano. :)

Otherwise! I'm not sure what the Fleetwood would give me over the DeVille besides length.. Bigger backseat and trunk? How much bigger could the front be?

Sal,
What the Fleetwood would give you over the Deville is RELIABILITY ! Your cost to maintain the Fleetwood would be much less than the Deville, i guess it really depends on How long you intend on keeping the car. I personally like the LOOKS of the Eldo and the STS but they because they both have the FWD Northstar under the hood my mechanic told me to stay far away from them because of repair and maintanence costs.
My father was an Aviation mechanic in the Marines, one of the Best, i have been around engines long enough to know whats built well and whats not, it's my personal opinion but i think the German Engineers who designed the Northstar engines have alot of IMPROVING to do to it's design to make it more Reliable. My HT4100 hasn't had the problems alot of these Northstars are having. You can't judge a book by it's cover, and i wouldn't by a car based on looks alone, IT'S Whats Inside that Counts!

[off topic]

One of the reasons I bought the car I did, with the 4.9...... being 16, I need a car that will not break down all the time and need costly repairs..... the 4.9 has power....maybe not as much as the N* and definitly not as mnay aftermarket performance parts (translation=0) but besides power, and gobs of tourqe, what I have is a simple (considering) classic pushrod, and from what I have reasearched, is very, very reliable, and with normal maintance will go well into 200k miles....hopefully Mobil 1 synthetic will help that too.....

[/off topic]

That is my opinion..... the N* is a geat engine, but I have heard too many bad thinga bout it.....

timber6860
07-02-03, 04:12 AM
I just wanted to add a couple of observations, and I could be totally wrong about this first one, but I drive 3 different caddies, my 89 Seville 4.5 (180k), 93 Deville 4.9 (130k), and the 96 Deville has the 4.6 N*(45k), and I noticed that I drive the N* with a lead foot, because it has such an awsome amount of power, and accelerates so smoothly, well I just can't help it.

But my point is that I think that possibly people who drive a caddie with this motor really push it to it's limits, so it may be unfairly regarded as problematic.

And, my other observation is that it is just as costly to have the cars I drive with the 4.5, and 4.9 motors repaired at the dealer, as is the one with the 4.6. They are not driven as hard, and are very reliable IMO (this is sorta directed to panther who has a similar car to one of mine), but still developed oil leaks, and needed costly strut repairs, and drive axles, etc. And, directed to panther again, if your caddie has the SSS (speed sensitive steering and suspension), and you need to service that, you may re-think the reliability issue... Anyway, sorry for rambling, and thanks to all for this site with all of it's valuable info, and occasional bickering, and banter.

woodyp
07-18-03, 12:45 PM
What I'm looking for here is some opinions on the suspension. I'm not interested in how they handle - I'm interested in the softness of the suspension. I want to know how much better the DeVille feels when going over bumps..

If you had a family member with a bad liver and kidneys in the backseat, which car are you taking them to the hospital in? And why... And how much difference does it really make?

Thank you...

I have driven almost every cadillac my family currently owns.

My grandfathers deville rides like a boat...floats so to speak, but all in all a smooth ride.

2000 Eldorado definitely has a small difference in riding comfort when it comes to bumps on the highway, but it is still a smooth riding car.

my 93 Eldorado ETC is actually quiet smooth riding as well, but you may miss the added doors that a deville or sts gives you...especially if you are transporting sick people to the hospital.

now my baby...my 1994 eldorado etc still rides like a new car. I do not drive it much and it is garaged.

Off topic, I am think of selling my both my 93 and 94 ETC eldorados. The 93 I just picked up off an old retired guy who garaged it and drove it primarily on cross country trips so it has higher mileage (115K)

my 94 ETC has 24995 miles all original. I bought it while I was still in high school used from another retiree in Phoenix. It has been garaged and covered with a protective body cover it's entire life. I drive it once month to keep the cobwebs out.

give me your opinions of what a good fair market value would be for either ETC.