: Starting up my 2005 STS - Is there a backup?

mikemillion2000
04-11-09, 08:16 PM
I have been having problems with the remotes that came with my 2005 STS. When I bought the car, the dealer only gave me remotes, and I had to go to the dealer to get a key made when I got locked out, because the remotes were not working.

Now, how do I handle starting up the car when the remotes don't/won't work.. And yes, I've been replacing the batteries in the remotes..

Is there some function that allows me to start it up? I can't seem to find it in the manual..

Thanx for any help anyone can provide.

Mikemillion!

EChas3
04-11-09, 09:34 PM
The center console storage compartment has a pocket on the right-rear side to insert a remote (buttons facing forward). Even if the battery is dead or missing, it is supposed to enable the ignition switch.

I think the key(s) only work for the door & glovebox.

mikemillion2000
04-12-09, 08:21 PM
Well whaddaya know!? Went to get the car cleaned earlier today and when I was headed home, kept getting the "FOB not detected" again.. popped the remote into the little pocket and voila!! It works, started right up!! Thanx for the info.. It came in handy..

EChas3
04-12-09, 10:10 PM
I suspect you have a bad receiver in the drivers door if two remotes with fresh batteries still fail. Do you get the same result on the passenger side?

mikemillion2000
04-12-09, 11:24 PM
Haven't tried the passenger side, been mostly concerned with the ignition since I have the key for a backup.. I'll give it a shot in the mornin...

coinshooter
05-18-09, 07:38 PM
I had the same problem with my fob .
I changed the battery and still no fob found.
I bent up the contacts on the battery terminals ( both the one on the side of the battery and the one near the chips) and it started working.
I also lightly sanded the top and sides of the battery for a better contact.

coinshooter
05-20-09, 07:12 PM
Also there is a PDF file for no fob detected and how Cadillac can fix it. Document ID# 1578527

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/data/tsb/04-08-52-008.pdf

rb92gt
05-22-09, 07:49 AM
I keep a spare battery for the FOBs in the little compartment with the small hinged door in the glove box. As others have mentioned though, if you are sure the batteries are new, this isn't your issue.