: HAs anyone sold their Vette for a CTS-V ?

bluecoupe
07-10-04, 01:26 AM
I'm considering selling my C5 Corvette and buying a CTS-V. Am I nuts?:hmm:

StealthV
07-10-04, 01:29 AM
Nope. :worship: V

trekster
07-10-04, 02:00 AM
Nope.
C5= 2 passenger Corvette
CTS-V= 5 Passenger Corvette http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/evilsmile.gif

Cal
07-10-04, 02:18 AM
Only vette that will beat a V is a Z06 (depending on driver and mods). After intake/wheelhop/headers/exhaust I think the V would give a stock Z06 a run for its money. Guess I'll find out once the parts are done.

And, of course, you can have 5 people in the car with the XM going and still be able to have a conversation during the race.

To sum up: seems like a no brainer in my opinion.

The Z06 is basically a muscle car. The baby vettes I can't really understand other than for ***** magnets. But to each his own.

Late BrakeU2
07-10-04, 02:19 AM
Yes,I had a 04 Z06 and 00 BMW 740i sport,sold both and got my V-

Wrk Car
07-10-04, 02:40 AM
I did I sold my 01 Mag Red Vert complete with a 408 stroker and 19/20 inch wheels .The vette was fun but I love my V. So far I have 7,500 miles with no problems yet.:lildevil:

CTSVLS6
07-10-04, 07:00 AM
Hi. I traded in my 2002 Z06 and I know I am glad I did. I still have a great running car that is a blast to drive and there is a lot more curb appeal with the CTSV. I really enjoy being able to hear the radio and talk to some one in the car with out yelling, no road noise like the vett.:bonkers:

GNSCOTT
07-10-04, 12:39 PM
I sold my 03 coupe to get the V. A week after I got the Vette the wife found out she was pregnant. Can't put 2 kids in a Vette.

trekster
07-10-04, 12:53 PM
I sold my 03 coupe to get the V. A week after I got the Vette the wife found out she was pregnant. Can't put 2 kids in a Vette. Congratulations!http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Make Sure Your newborn is going to have a hell of a first ride home.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/evilsmile.gif

BeagleBrains
07-10-04, 01:19 PM
I had requested the Cadillac Dealer to call when they received a CTS V.
I visited, merely curious; having already ordered a C6 with an early delivery date. Went back a second time. Then I brought my wife for a viewing. We fell in lust with this awsome machine.
Traded in a 2002 Coupe Z51 Corvette. It was sold from the Cadillac dealership that afternoon; Zaino looks with only 17,000 miles.
Haven't looked back with any longing for any Corvette. Besides, we get lots of dinner invitations, with the expectation that we drive the CTS V. Glad to be of service. Fast classy service.

riverrat
07-10-04, 02:40 PM
I've got a buyer for my '02 Z06 that I intended to sell as soon as I went for the V. So yes I will sell my vette for the Caddy. I'm old and fat and look like I'm going through a mid-life crisis when out in the Z, now I'm still old and fat but nobody thinks I'm searching for my lost youth, just fast with class :bouncy:

6DN69
07-10-04, 04:05 PM
My 05 Silver with gray interior is arriving at my local Cadillac dealer soon and I'll be trading in my 2000 Z51 corvette coupe. :hmm: I too was wondering if it was worth it. But based on what I've read so far on this great forum, I have nothing to worry about (other than the few minor quirks with the V which can be easily fixed).:2thumbs:

Dreamin
07-10-04, 05:49 PM
Yes, my Z06 will be going soon... :crying: :crying2:

GHETTOYUPPIE
07-10-04, 09:01 PM
sold my 2003 convertible vette for a cts-v. When you consider the extra warranty, maintanence paid for, onstar, brakes, gps, xm, all the latest technology and the cts-v is cheaper also. It wasn't a hard decision

03Z06Vette
07-11-04, 11:11 AM
I am planning on selling my '01 Coupe to get a CTS-V next year, but I am keeping my Z06 until I see what the 2006 Z06 is going to be. :D

BeagleBrains
07-12-04, 09:40 PM
I am really enjoying all this exchange from you car fanatics.

StealthV
07-12-04, 10:09 PM
I prefer the term gearhead.

T_Dogg8
07-13-04, 09:42 AM
if anyone wants to sell their convertible vette, let me know :) i might be able to take it off your hands :)

btr
07-13-04, 05:25 PM
I wanted a Vette but my wife would not allow it since we have two children. Then came the V and I am so glad she did not let me get the Vette. I love my V.

StealthV
07-13-04, 06:45 PM
My first choice was a Z06. Even with no kids, my wife thought the V was more "practical" than the Z06.

If you've got a black Z06 with red interior in mint condition, stash it away for four years and give me a call..... :coolgleam

c5 rv
07-13-04, 08:12 PM
I have considered selling my black '02 coupe for a black CTS-V, however my wife wants nothing of it. She loves the vette and says we already have a CTS. She also knows that if I had a CTS-V, I'd likely sell the 3.6 CTS and get a Sierra Denali pickup.

jag2001
07-14-04, 01:08 AM
I'm considering it. Since buying my '01 C5, I've gotten married and had a kid. The Vette isn't too 'family-friendly', so I end up driving the wife's Civic everywhere except to work. I figure if we're going to have an expensive car, it should be the one that gets driven the most. Plus, every time I step in the Civic, I immediately miss the power.. :) I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, though. I'd like to see the wheel-hop issue get resolved, or at least see some reviews that consistently meet Cadillac's 0-60 claims.

StealthV
07-14-04, 01:39 AM
My V will eat your '01 Vette for lunch. GET OUT OF THE CIVIC MAN! :welcome:

DgtalPimp
07-14-04, 12:56 PM
I'm considering it. Since buying my '01 C5, I've gotten married and had a kid. The Vette isn't too 'family-friendly', so I end up driving the wife's Civic everywhere except to work. I figure if we're going to have an expensive car, it should be the one that gets driven the most. Plus, every time I step in the Civic, I immediately miss the power.. :) I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet, though. I'd like to see the wheel-hop issue get resolved, or at least see some reviews that consistently meet Cadillac's 0-60 claims.

How often do you wheel-hop the civic?

You might wanna at least test drive the V, before you sit in traffic again in the civic (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/12/fooledpelicans.ap/index.html). :hmm:

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

XLR-V06
07-14-04, 04:45 PM
I kept my 2001 6-speed Coupe (Black with Torch Red interior) for the weekends and summer time and use the CTS-V for business. I know, it's a tough life. I love my '05 CTS-V, just picked it up 7/02 (and shortly thereafter found this forum which is great), but there is still something special about a Vette. You see another Vette on the road and wave, Corvettes at Carlisle, the C5/C6 Birthday Bash, the NCM, Dave Hill, the tradition, etc. It's more than a car. As long as I can, I will always own a Vette. We (the CTS-V owners) have a way to go, but we're off to a great start in 2 short model years. I hope that we see more mods in the near future. Just my $0.02.

KJTROT
07-14-04, 08:16 PM
Just one more quick item for the "V" owners and having someone to wave to. I have had my "V" since mid March and I have not seen one other on the road in the Charlotte area. Love to be a little exclusive. Always hated to pull up to a traffic signal and see 4 other cars the same as what you are driving.:D

jag2001
07-14-04, 11:08 PM
My V will eat your '01 Vette for lunch. GET OUT OF THE CIVIC MAN! :welcome:
Unless your V is modded, I doubt it would eat my Vette for lunch. While I may have 'only' 350 HP, my car is much lighter, and I have no problems with launches. ;)

At any rate, I assumed the cars would be close enough that it would depend on the driver, that I would basically be getting performance equivalent to my Vette. The big fly in the ointment is all the stuff I've been reading about the wheel-hop, and how I have yet to see some consistent 0-60 times that match Cadillac's claims because of it.

While I don't plan to go drag-racing any time soon, I 'do' like to launch hard on occasion (OK, pretty frequently..), and I'm worried that with the V, I'll be tearing the car up if I do it. And even if the car can handle the abuse, I won't even be 'able' to get the performance that I should be getting from it (from a dead stop at least).

I'd like to see the V live up to Cadillac's claims before I hand my money over.

StealthV
07-15-04, 12:38 AM
Agree, just go test drive a V, you won't be disappointed.

Sell the Civic and keep the Vette. :coolgleam

jag2001
07-15-04, 02:49 PM
Agree, just go test drive a V, you won't be disappointed.

Sell the Civic and keep the Vette. :coolgleam
Haha. If I could afford it, I would! I'd love to have both a V and a Vette!

T_Dogg8
07-15-04, 03:54 PM
I kept my 2001 6-speed Coupe (Black with Torch Red interior) for the weekends and summer time and use the CTS-V for business. I know, it's a tough life. I love my '05 CTS-V, just picked it up 7/02 (and shortly thereafter found this forum which is great), but there is still something special about a Vette. You see another Vette on the road and wave, Corvettes at Carlisle, the C5/C6 Birthday Bash, the NCM, Dave Hill, the tradition, etc. It's more than a car. As long as I can, I will always own a Vette. We (the CTS-V owners) have a way to go, but we're off to a great start in 2 short model years. I hope that we see more mods in the near future. Just my $0.02.
i know what you mean. i feel the same as you. i've been going to carlisle as long as i can remember and i grew up on vettes. to me a corvette isn't just a car. it's a tradition and a culture. nothing against the v, it just doesn't have that. how many v owners won't drive their car in the rain?? it's a different mindset when owning a vette.

StealthV
07-15-04, 05:51 PM
My V is rain free and I will try to keep it that way. My car choices were to buy a Z06 or a V. Either one would get the same "vette-love." :)

Cal
07-16-04, 01:42 AM
i know what you mean. i feel the same as you. i've been going to carlisle as long as i can remember and i grew up on vettes. to me a corvette isn't just a car. it's a tradition and a culture. nothing against the v, it just doesn't have that. how many v owners won't drive their car in the rain?? it's a different mindset when owning a vette.
If you drive the V the way I do you try hard to keep it out of the rain. I fishtail coming out of the carwash.

Even with the new changes to the Vette you guys are still that loyal? With all the new gadgets it'll be like a loud, 2-seater V pretty soon.

T_Dogg8
07-16-04, 08:48 AM
If you drive the V the way I do you try hard to keep it out of the rain. I fishtail coming out of the carwash.

Even with the new changes to the Vette you guys are still that loyal? With all the new gadgets it'll be like a loud, 2-seater V pretty soon.
to be honest, i'm not sold on the c5 design yet. but i'm getting there :) my favorite would be the c1 style or a '69 (which i own and have to do a frame on restoration this winter). i'm looking for a c5 because i think it would be a good daily driver. i haven't seen a c6 in person but i will in august, so i'll make my initial reaction then. i can't make too much of a decision just from commercials.

anyone else here ever go to carlisle to any of the shows??

Midlife Z06
07-18-04, 12:01 AM
Traded in my 03 EB Z06 for the V. Wanted something I could drive to work everyday and was sick worrying about the deprediation with the C6 coming soon. Had the Z for 14 months and only had 1300 on it. Have had the V for six weeks and just turned 2100 miles. (the Z was much faster than the V)

I may jump back to the 500 hp C6 Z06 when the time comes.

Cal
07-18-04, 01:43 AM
Work the air on the V and put enough carbon fiber to drop 800lbs and it'd be a close race.

The difference is you can hear yourself speaking and listen to the stereo in the V. That, and having room for 3 more strippers.

The V can beat 95% of cars on the road, the Z06 can beat 99%. Pretty much good enough for me.

joshdctsv
08-03-04, 01:11 AM
Traded in my 01 z06 for a V last weekend. Have an 8 week old daughter and the two dont mix :tisk:
I am really enjoying the V so far (havent hit the magical 500 mile mark yet though) and am happy with the decision overall. Truthfully, no one had challenged me in the z06 in well over a year, so the need to beat that other 3-4% that only the z06 can take was pretty meaningless. I am having to convince my friends that a caddi can be driven by someone younger than 60 (my God, they have rocking chairs in the caddi service center!!) but the sweet rumble of the engine is doing a good job of that for me already.

Geno
08-03-04, 07:30 PM
I traded my Z06, and was at least a bit apprehensive, but V is a hell of a car.. I've had my V for a little over three months now and this is my take:

The Z06 is a knife fighter, if you want to get it on it was willing and able. Unfortunately, if you spent more than 6 hours on the road, you just wanted to end the day. This was especially true when I was doing extended interstate driving. With the LS6 Caddy, I've taken 10-hour trips and wanted to drive more.

The Z06 was fully capable of carving any curve or melting any tire, and it was beyond my capabilities (a man's gotta know his limitations, as Clint would say). On one occasion I went into a turn way too fast. The tires did not whimper, squeal, or protest. When I exited the curve I realized that if the car had slide at the speed I was traveling...well I wouldn’t of had the chance to drive the V. The episode was thrilling and scary. The V on the other hand, drifts in a controlled, effortless, and poised manner (like the car was saying, “I want more”). I currently have a left G meter reading of 1.08 and a right reading of .98 and I wasn’t even near an out of control situation.

There are three significant differences between the two cars; a) The CTS-V compared to the Z06 needs a little more power (50 to 75 hp) to give an equivalent kick in the pants. b) The CTS-V is at the pinnacle of cornering capability when compared to cars in its class (but don’t take on a Z06). I however, love the way the V corners because it communicates so well. c) Both cars are fast and capable, but the CTS-V is the lap of luxury. In the final analysis this car (with a little more power under the hood) would definitely be the bomb.

Anyway, as my wife says, “this car is you”, ...and I think it is.
PS, I don't drive my V in the rain. :coolgleam

Cal
08-03-04, 08:40 PM
That 50-75hp can be had for around $2500-3k tops. What remains to be seen is how much noise you sacrifice to get there.

So for $55k you then have a car that will smoke 97% of cars on the road and give a poorly-driven Z06 a nice beating.

With the proposed increases in high-end Vettes with the LS7 coming $55k for that much power may seem like a bargain fairly soon.

Z06CTSV
08-04-04, 09:21 AM
I'm waiting for C6 bugs to be worked out. And I want to see what the C6 Z06 looks like. Then I'll decide to get rid of my Z06. And I do love my V.

crowan
09-27-04, 12:20 PM
I went in the other direction. I sold a 2003 S55 AMG and bought a 2004 Z06 and a 2005 V. The Z06 is a blast to drive: a real throwback musclecar with headers, airbox, B&M shifter, navigation, and XM radio. But it is not a car for business.

The V is a fantasitc all-around vehicle with speed, cornering, comfort, and class. I am really impressed with it. Yes, it feels a bit down on power compared to the Z06, but it does so much more to satisfy the driver. Until I see the next generation of exhaust and shifter mods for the V, I intend to keep it stock and enjoy it "as is." The V gets more complements from other drivers than the Z06, by far.

Carl

alexWS6
09-27-04, 01:31 PM
No way, couldnt give up the vette for the V. I'm dying to have one in addition though.

Vrocks
09-28-04, 02:06 AM
Sold my '02 vert C5 for the V.

6DN69
09-28-04, 06:29 AM
I still have my 00 vette and with the V now, the whole family can partake in the fun... :dance: :woohoo:

TNT V
09-28-04, 10:01 AM
:yeah: I agree,,,,with a 'vette you have an entirely different experience. The V is great but nothing like the 'vette experience. If someone told me I had to get rid of one, the V would go. Right now, the V is my "daily driver" 'vette.

MRR
10-25-04, 02:54 PM
Just traded my 2004 Corvette CE Convertable for a Black CTS-V.

MRR

undertaker
10-31-04, 09:23 PM
well I own a blk.blk 03 Z06.......and I'm seriously thinking of a V for a daily driver. Just working on clearing out some of the current cars first before I take the plunge...Test drove one in august and wasn't thoroughly impressed with teh power, but the stupid ass i am, I realized i never took the traction control off when I got on it. (you'd think with a Z06 with 12K miles and a console full of time slips from teh drag strip as low as 11.75 with just an intake an catback it would have dawned on me)....its not the rocket the Z is, but its sure one fast lil 4dr. I wasn't wild about the shifter or the floor mounted parking brake either...are there any aftermarket shifters out there yet for it? I'm also waiting to check out the new STS V8 too.....anyone know if they've hit the dealer floors yet? weren't there in august.

kybanker
11-01-04, 07:38 PM
just last week traded my '03 CTS and '99 c5 vert for '05 V. Miss the looks from the vette but enjoy surprising people with the V. Satisfied I made the right decision.

heavymetals
11-04-04, 01:37 AM
I traded in a Mercedes 320e wagon (and took a beating) for my V.
My Z06 is for "special" drives.
The V is for everyday use and practice for when I do get around to driving the Z. Currently the V is such a blast that the Z is still under it's cover.
I wish the V had a HUD though.
The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both worlds.

StealthV
11-04-04, 01:43 AM
I wish the V had a HUD though.

:yeah:

Turbophil
11-04-04, 10:05 PM
I had a perfect '97 C5 that I installed a Mag Blower, added Borla exhaust, lowered, and added nice 18 EVOs on all 4s. Great car. Super fast. Real eye catcher. I sold it just prior to the C6 coming out to try and beat the big drop in value and picked a V shortly after. I hate the fact that I can't dump the clutch w/o feeling like I will drive over the rear diff!!!!! Other than that, the V is a solid replacement for the vette...Yes, I said replacement :thumbsup:

I just need to get the normal fixes done at 15K miles (hard shifting, clunking noises, tires :hmm: ) that most others have to deal with who drive their cars a bit rough:rolleyes2:

That's my two cents. C5s have rattles and dated interiors, C6s need cosmetic work, the V needs build quality work... BUT, the V is the best for someone who chooses to only have one sports car :cool:

Slammed Vette
11-10-04, 08:49 PM
I currently have a '99 Quad black C5 and would never get rid of it for a V. I'm going to be hopefully getting a black V next year for a daily driver!!!!