: One fan or two?

shizzyraw585
07-09-04, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

I just got done reading the post "check coolent level keeps showing up" post by cheif31127 and i gotta admit, im gettin a little worried! ya see, just the other day my girlfriend was drivin my 97 eldog home from school when she called me and told me the temperature gauge was running close to the red and she was gettin the messages "check coolant level" and "Engine coolant hot". I told her to stop driving it and call a tow. When i got home it took almost 3 gallons of 50/50 to top off the coolant tank. I didnt see any leaks, but i did notice only one of the engine fans was spinning. I figure with an engine this size both fans would be on at all times, am i wrong here? The car has beeb running fine for 2 days now, usually when the car idles the temperature gauge rises to about the 1 o'clock posistion, and drops back down to 12 o'clock when im driving. This dosnt seem normal because before it ran hot that day it always ran at 12. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

shannon:confused:

Ranger
07-09-04, 09:29 PM
Per '97 service manual
Both fans operate together, always at the same speed. The PCM commands LOW SPEED operation under the following conditions:

- Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 229*F.
- Transmission fluid temperature exceeds 302*F.
- A/C operation is requested.
- After vehicle is shut off, if the coolant temperature at key-off is more than 304*F, and system voltage is greater than 12 volts, the fans will stay ON for 3 minutes.

The fans will switch to OFF when the coolant drops below 216*F.

HIGH SPEED operation:

- Engine coolant temperature reaches 234*F.
- Transmission temperature is more than 304*F.

The fans will switch from HIGH to LOW when the coolant drops to 229*F.

shizzyraw585
07-09-04, 09:43 PM
Well i guess i can answer my own question myself, the fan does not move freely as opposed to the workin one which does. Does anyone know if i can replace just the one fan or if i have to do both. How much can i expect to pay for parts? labor?

Thanx again
Shannon:crying:

alarcon_h
07-09-04, 11:36 PM
those fans are very expensive, I would check in to the relays first. ( 3 fans relays are located under the fans)

growe3
07-11-04, 06:01 PM
Well i guess i can answer my own question myself, the fan does not move freely as opposed to the workin one which does. Does anyone know if i can replace just the one fan or if i have to do both. How much can i expect to pay for parts? labor?

Thanx again
Shannon:crying:Check the fan carefully using with a strong light, it should spin freely. The outer ring may be dragging on a section of the wiring harness at the bottom. And if so it may have cut the fan connection. If it is not touching anything and is stiff to turn, the fan is no good.

You only need to replace the bad unit.

-George

97Deville
07-13-04, 02:28 AM
Per '97 service manual
Both fans operate together, always at the same speed. The PCM commands LOW SPEED operation under the following conditions:

- Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 229*F.
- Transmission fluid temperature exceeds 302*F.
- A/C operation is requested.
- After vehicle is shut off, if the coolant temperature at key-off is more than 304*F, and system voltage is greater than 12 volts, the fans will stay ON for 3 minutes.

The fans will switch to OFF when the coolant drops below 216*F.

HIGH SPEED operation:

- Engine coolant temperature reaches 234*F.
- Transmission temperature is more than 304*F.

The fans will switch from HIGH to LOW when the coolant drops to 229*F.
Mine used to work this way, I thought something was wrong. LOL

Just last week or so, they run all the time with the A/C on, even when the coolent is cold (80F) The DIC is showing no PCM errors (other than the VCC p741)
Could it be the relays in my case as well?

Chris