: Wait4me tunes

Fubar75207
04-09-09, 07:28 PM
I received the tune from wait4me for my '09. The transmission tune does wonders for the responsiveness of the car. I would highly recommend it to anyone who would like a little more reaction when you pop the throttle.

I just got off the dyno here and it looks like the engine picked up 26 hp. I am very pleased with that also. Ambient temps here are 7-10 degrees warmer today than on my baseline run and I believe humidity is also less favorable today.

Nice work Jess

:thumbsup:

homesite
04-09-09, 07:31 PM
Didn't Jessy say it picked up like 50hp?

Q8V
04-09-09, 08:15 PM
Is this like a mail-order Flash tune ??. you send in your ECU for a flash..

Or did you get a custom Dyno tune ??..

What kinda engine management was used ??..

Fubar75207
04-09-09, 09:53 PM
He told me 30hp... so it got pretty close to my expectations.

I ordered the programer. He will do an ECU swap but it wont include the transmission tune.

homesite
04-09-09, 09:56 PM
Did you go with the max tune?

RapidRob
04-09-09, 10:21 PM
I believe he will write a tune for the mods you have, or intend to have, (and maybe one for no mods at all ..). Hp gains will depend on which tune/mods are applicable is my understanding.

Rob

CIWS
04-10-09, 07:32 AM
Congrats Fubar, glad to hear you've got a little more :v: there :)

Hawkeye2
04-10-09, 07:43 AM
Sorry for asking, but is 30HP worth the risk of a possible void on your warranty? I've heard horror
stories on the Z06 board of GM really cracking down on anything that is non stock. Can you feel
a 30HP gain?

I understand that even if you flash back to stock, that GM can tell if any reprogramming has been
done.

wait4me
04-10-09, 08:54 AM
With my programmer, it dont leave a footprint. That is what took it so long to be ready for you guys.

wait4me
04-10-09, 09:00 AM
Also, it isnt just the horsepower gain.

It is cooler running engine, for less underhood temps, and cooler air for the intercooler.
It is better shift algorithms for cooler operating temps and less slip.
It is more accurate for knock than the factory program, so it catches a knock event alot earlier than the stock cal.
Learns between fuel quality faster and will adjust itself between a few tables faster to allow the max safe amount of timing. This is why some people may see less than stock hp or the same, as the ecm can back itself down via timing if it thinks it will cause knock.. It all boils down to fuel quality.

Also another benefit is a slightly higher rev limit and shift schedule. So for each shift you will now be at peak torque at wot for alot better quarter mile times..

colbachlaw
04-10-09, 10:29 AM
I think that the best way to measure Jessie's tunes are probably SOTP and the quarter mile, not peak numbers.

If you have an auto, like I do, altering the torque management software makes a big, real world difference.

He did a tune on my escalade and it was a very noticeable difference.

I can't wait to get home and install his program and CAI on my V.

If I have the time, I will do before and after dynos and see what I get.

I would really like to see the increase under the curve, not just the peak numbers. Anyone know if a dyno can quantify the area under the curve?

Mike C

Hawkeye2
04-10-09, 12:12 PM
I understand with an auto, how does it affect a stick? I am leary, I once took my 98 Camaro SS,
for a "special" dyno tune. I spent $500 and gained 6HP. Whoopee! I know the factory puts in a
safe tune that can be modified for performance. What are the downsides to changing the factory
set up?

musclesbmf
04-10-09, 01:37 PM
No real downsides since his tune doesn't leave a footprint.
As for the stick only the ECM program applies. He change a/f ratio to be around 11.6 which is perfect for blowers (more power), as he mentioned,applies the correct spark curve,fans on sooner etc... also, there is torque management in the ecu as well. as soon as you depress the clutch, factory tune cuts timing between shifts for tranny longevity. you will still pick up somewhere around the advertised hp increase. SOTP it is an amazing difference.

Mark

Luna.
04-10-09, 03:36 PM
I understand with an auto, how does it affect a stick? I am leary, I once took my 98 Camaro SS,
for a "special" dyno tune. I spent $500 and gained 6HP. Whoopee! I know the factory puts in a
safe tune that can be modified for performance. What are the downsides to changing the factory
set up?

Some people are getting up to ~50 rwhp from a tune. Trust me, I've seen it...

A tune is one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods you can possibly do in my opinion.

rocketeer
04-10-09, 09:13 PM
Is the torque management removed for the stick with the tune? I'm sure it contributes to the smoothness in shifting etc. I can't even get this thing to buck in a lower gear at low speeds when lifting then depressing the gas it's just smooth. One thing I'm not fond of is the lack of engine braking when decelerating especially in a lower gear certainly not like my 05. The Stealth tune I had for the 05 let fans run for 2 minutes when the car was shut off. Does wait4me's tune allow for the same option?

cjwolverine
04-13-09, 08:14 PM
any gas mileage difference with the tune? I didn't buy it to sip gas, just curious.

Also, I understand it doesn't have a footprint, but when taken to a dealer for service, will they be reseting things when I don't know about it? So am I to expect to continuously re-tune?

Tuning novice here, please forgive me.

Chris

Fubar75207
04-13-09, 11:52 PM
any gas mileage difference with the tune? I didn't buy it to sip gas, just curious.

Also, I understand it doesn't have a footprint, but when taken to a dealer for service, will they be reseting things when I don't know about it? So am I to expect to continuously re-tune?

Tuning novice here, please forgive me.

Chris

Not sure about the gas mileage, I should have taken note of what it was prior to the change.

Dgr8skier
04-14-09, 12:22 AM
Excuse the novice here please. Is the tune available to be sold to me here in Canada? Do I just plug it into the OBD II keep the original program then reset it when it goes to the dealer for service? I am thinking of the cold air induction upgrade and some sort ofexhaust upgrade - does this have to be included in the info when ordering?

musclesbmf
04-14-09, 10:32 AM
The tuner saves a copy of the original tune in memory so you can return to it at anytime. To be on the safe side, anytime I take car to dealer for warranty work, I will put stock tune back in incase they try to flash the ecm with updates. It only takes 15 minutes. plug tuner into OBD II port and follow the instructions. So easy a caveman could do it :-)

wait4me
04-14-09, 10:42 AM
I can send updates via email shortly. So when you make mods, I can set up different things and tweeks.

Kadonny
04-14-09, 01:39 PM
Jesse, I emailed you about being interested in the handheld for both the motor and trans. Can you shoot me one back or should I call?

Thanks.

kadonny@comcast.net

Everlast13
05-22-09, 01:05 PM
wait4me,
I'd like to order a tune and a CAI, I have an auto. What info do you need from me. Thanks- Shawn

wait4me
05-22-09, 01:45 PM
Call me right now, im at the shop. 574-267-3630. I can walk you thru right now. :)

todd03blown
05-22-09, 02:13 PM
I would really like to see the increase under the curve, not just the peak numbers. Anyone know if a dyno can quantify the area under the curve?

Mike C

A dyno most certainly can show the improvement area under the curve. You will need to ask your dyno location to overlay the "new tuned" curve over top of your stock base line curve when they go to print out your dyno sheet.

Doing show will allow you to see exactly where in the RPM you gained or lost TQ and HP.

1-2-N-V
05-22-09, 02:30 PM
Hey Jesse,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the tune. I can definitely feel a difference. Even the exhaust sounds a bit throatier . Maybe coincidence just getting more broken in?? Anyway i do have an issue. I have the engine light on. An by Boss was was sucking my fumes in his SRT8 Jeep yesterday and he told me that he saw a big puff of black smoke. Can i use the handheld to evaluate what the trouble is? I thought it could read the system and tell me any troubles. If anyone can let me know for sure?? i guess i could just try it. Maybe you could let me know what you think.:hmm:

Oh Jess, you got the cold air intake kit made up yet? And whats up with the Crank Pulley, anything?

1-2-N-V
05-22-09, 02:33 PM
One more thing, Jess your mail box is full, left my number as a page 845-235-9588. In case you got some suggestions for me

wait4me
05-22-09, 03:06 PM
The handheld can look at engine codes. Puff of black smoke? Sounds like the car hit a limiter and shut off spark/closed throttleblade. Im here for 2 more hours. you can call when you get a chance. If i dont answer, we are just on the other line and you need to just keep calling back. Sorry about the full message box. It gets full every day.

jianco
05-22-09, 10:19 PM
Here is the results on MPG with Jesse's tune in my video. Count on 20 to 22mpg at 70mph on flat road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwoUgkG1q8M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwoUgkG1q8M

1-2-N-V
05-26-09, 07:45 AM
Jess i think that is what happened at the time he described it to me. I did hit the limiter. As far as the code the handheld did not recognize the 1400 ( i think that was it) code. I ended up just resetting it. No light so far. i will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

OldDrummer55
05-26-09, 09:07 AM
"SOTP"? Seat of the pants? :confused: Sorry guys, maybe a caveman can figure these things out but I'm a drummer...

:rimshot:

wait4me
05-26-09, 09:22 AM
Looked up that code..
P1400 = Customer having too much fun on weekend and making the SRT8 look REALLY bad in front of other people.

J/k

The only time i see that code is, if you just start the car and take off right way and start driving when the engine is cold. If i idle the car for 1-3 minutes before driving i never see it. It is just an over sensitive CAT warmup sequence that aint quite set right. It isnt anything for performance and i see it even on stock vehicles with stock exhaust/mods.

Razorecko
05-26-09, 09:56 AM
Hey Jesse, what temp is the stock tstat set at ??

1-2-N-V
05-26-09, 11:05 AM
LOL Jesse

Yeah my boss is waiting for the 2012 (20012?? Why wait!) SRT8 Jeep supposed to be coming with 500HP.... that's all? The X6 M is going to have 555HP.

I'll be surprised if they actually do make it by then considering the Cafe and Chrysler's situation

Razorecko
05-26-09, 11:34 AM
jeep is not going to come out with a 500hp 6.4 in 2012....they were supposed to but no way its going to happen with cafe and the 33mpg standards....Jesse we need a 180 tstat, if the car is throwing a cel w/ the 160 tstat right now in the winter time you'll have to warm up the V for like 30 minutes or it will throw a cel. Actually the motor might become underheated. There is a reason why a cel is thrown

wait4me
05-26-09, 12:40 PM
I have 176 thermostats also. 160 helps alot more on this motor configuration.

In the tunes, 160 thermostat is set up not to throw that code so easy. I made some changes to the exhaust temperature model to make it more accurate to commanded vs actual exhaust temps. It still warms up the cats like designed. Just a little different and faster.. I also have to make changes to the operating system to allow for a cooler requested fan turn on settings to take effect. Stock is limited to 88C. So i move it to 70C range for more control. That way the fueling is still able to learn and make coeficient updates at the lower temps.

Stock thermostat temp is 196.

Razorecko
05-26-09, 01:42 PM
I'm guessing that the peformance gain is still greater going from the 196 to 176 than the gain from 176 to 160 ?

wait4me
05-26-09, 01:55 PM
Heat is the enemy on our intercooler setup. Any temperature drop we can get helps. Especially on long several gear blasts.

1-2-N-V
05-27-09, 11:02 AM
Hey Jesse, That Code 1400 what was that again? The light did come back on today after cold take off to work. Will check code again when i get home. Still seems to run tight

Razorecko
05-27-09, 11:25 AM
That is a code when basically your coolant temp is too low for operating temperatures.

1-2-N-V
05-27-09, 12:24 PM
Razor, So after 12 hours F'n work to drill out a snapped bolt i shoulda just left the 190 Tstat?
The 160 seemed to work well in my GN??? Yeah a little long to warm up in the winter but i did not buy this car for that. hell no.

I had mentioned this before. When i was changing the T stat of course the Anti freeze drained out but as i had questioned before, it seems that the intercooler is using the heated water of the cooling system. Although it seems that there is an alternate means of cooling by way of an external cooler. I just can't see where there is a separated and that there is a separate pump (as some one mentioned) sending cooled fluid to the intercooler. That should be separated. Why use hot water to cool the air? I am going to look at this further to try to augment if this is the case. But a manual would certainly help me as i don't need any more disasters with snapping bolts:ill:

BTW is there a way to bypass the boost like on a turbo. I had an adjustable waste gate on my GN. I think i saw something on Lingenfelter's site. Manual bypass for a supercharger. I had a little valve that would bleed off the boost I could get 15 lbs in 1st gear, dial it down for second and beyond. Kind of crude. An electronic deal would be much better especially when trying to shift a manual. Any suggestions?

Tony407
05-28-09, 03:55 AM
I've read all the posts, but I'm still confused - so excuse the questions please. Are we talking about two separate tunes on this thread? I thought it all started with the automatic transmission tune (which I'm considering) but then everyone started talking about engine lights & codes, thermostats, etc.

I don't want ANY tune done to my car that causes me any sort of grief or extra work to get things just right. The last two cars I've owned have had serious issues, all of which have been covered by factory warranties, but I'm so sick of owning brand new cars that need to go into the shop. It makes me afraid to mod anything at all!!

Is the auto tune pretty problem-free? What else has everyone been talking about besides this?

Tony

Razorecko
05-28-09, 09:15 AM
If you're not sure tony than just give it some time until the bugs are worked out. Its always like this with initial tunes. And its usually not the tune thats the issue its usually the hardware/method of transfer that causes the quirks. Do a cai/ or an exhaust or something else to occupy that mod bug until than :lildevil:

wait4me
05-28-09, 09:22 AM
The tunes are trouble free. The tunes consist of the ENGINE and TRANSMISSION computers. I change both.

What they are referring to was putting in a 160 thermostat to keep things cooler.

The supercharger intercooler system is all self contained. It has a seperate heat exchanger, its own electric pump, and intercooler that is in the intake. It does not share the coolant from the vehicle. That would be too hot.

The 160 is definatly a good choice on mods. Especially now that summer is comming. Cooler is better on THIS motor. Even more so when you leave all the engine beauty covers on...

Razorecko
05-28-09, 09:26 AM
lol that was my first mod. Take off that goofy plastic engine cover

1-2-N-V
05-28-09, 09:48 AM
Well Jesse, i am wondering why then when i drained my coolant , that the little filler Tee near the firewall went down also as these hoses go to the back of the SC. How is this separate then?? When i added coolant to the Res. the filler tee filled up after i started the car. Any reason for this? I cant fathom it at all.

ericpd
05-29-09, 01:45 AM
lol that was my first mod. Take off that goofy plastic engine cover

They told me at the dealership that the engine cover played a major role in keeping the engine compartment cool and removing the cover/cowl would encourage engine over-heating. Man,... talk about hook, line and sinker!

I'll be right back,... I'm goin' out to the garage and un-ass that crap rat now!

Razorecko
05-29-09, 10:01 AM
^ lol i never believe what the dealer tells you. There is noooo way in hell that a plastic insulated chunk sitting on top of your blower will cool anything

neuronbob
06-03-09, 12:15 PM
I'm out of town this week and am planning to purchase a handheld such that it will arrive upon my return.

With the fixes provided by SCT, are the handhelds pretty much foolproof now (at least the ones sold in the last few weeks)? Will I have to pull out fuses to make things work in my March build V with automatic? When I do purchase, how do I ask about adjusting for my Corsas--just put that in the order?

Looking forward to giving this a shot.

kencav
06-03-09, 01:22 PM
I was an april build and had to pull them- if you have to its not a big deal and i am not mechanically inclined. Since the Corsa is just an axle back I would not think an adjustment would have to be made but it would not hurt to ask

Malibu310
06-03-09, 01:31 PM
Has anybody taken their CTS-V in for service yet with the wait4me downloads to test the transparancy of the tune without detection? Any anybody with wait4me mods in the Minneapolis area?

neuronbob
06-03-09, 02:38 PM
^^^^
That's my only other concern, but I think I can live with that as no one has really complained of problems from the tune itself.

CadV
06-03-09, 09:53 PM
Has anybody taken their CTS-V in for service yet with the wait4me downloads to test the transparancy of the tune without detection? Any anybody with wait4me mods in the Minneapolis area?

Don't take chances, just flash it back to stock. That is the beauty of the handheld.

Through years of experience buy bolt-ons and take them off when you got to the dealership. Dealerships will blame problems on unrelated stuff to get out of fixing stuff. I learned this the hard way.

I always take it back to stock before I take it in for service. This does not include unrelated stuff like oil changes etc.

CIWS
06-04-09, 09:59 AM
Going by the text of the message that was sent out to the GM dealers about tuned ECMs, it sounds as though the dealerships by themselves cannot see a tuned ECM. They need to take a snapshot of a page on the Tech II and send it to GM to have it analyzed. They're being told to do that if the problem is on the drivetrain that would require a major warranty repair, otherwise it's probably not being done at all. So other warranty items shouldn't be a concern. However as CadV states the safest possible method is for the owner to return a stock tune into the ECM before giving it to them.

NapperV
06-04-09, 12:06 PM
As far a cooling ....wouldn't a simple to remove direct miniscul 25 n20 dry shot be the tickect?

ok so you'll have a bottle and main line but since its for cooling prurposes 25 shot is not gonna hurt the motro but will amazingly lower intake charge the car willt thingk its in alaska..

i've done some turbo work....and intercooler n20 sprayers worked because some N20 got sucked into the air box

this is a very simple mod....easy to return back to stock and can be bought with used piecec with a new bottle opener. it would be a reulated dry shot due to the the maf and iat seing the temp... this would solve the heatsoak issue.... and the additiona 25 hp will act more like 50.....so you duoble you pleasure.
correct me if i'm wrong in my assumtion

RapidRob
06-04-09, 06:33 PM

Just had all fluids changed to Amsoil products in my v2 by the dealer @ 1400 mi. I had W4M's performance tune installed and they never mentioned it, and not sure if they would've found out if they had checked. Most of the personnel I talked to there were not that familiar with the v2, and said that at most, they had only service a couple other 2009 copies.

So far so good ... :cool:

Rob

rays925
06-05-09, 02:47 PM
Im trying to purchase a tune from wait 4 me for a week now is there a bat phone or special time to cantact them im trying to avoid going to get a dyno tune i like the hand held and the option to flash back to stock

jwa999
06-05-09, 02:53 PM
Contact his wife hannahbubb@yahoo.com:

Paypal her $410 for the handheld. (400+10 shipping)

Give her your vin, auto or manual transmission and any mods you have installed.

noelvm
06-06-09, 06:36 AM
I recently purchased the software and kit from waitforme. I was disappointed in the proformance gains (if any) and asked for some additional tuning. After having my SCT tuner friend email him and his wife several times, I am still waiting for an answer. I particularly wanted the shifts firmed up. This thing still shifts like gramma's car.

On the plus side, I had the closed look raised about 300 rpm to include the rpm at 85 mph. There's no reason for the gas mileage should drop so dramaticly above 70 mph. I drive at an average of 85. (I live in Texas) That was successful and I can obtain 19 mpg at 85.

noelvm

NapperV
06-06-09, 07:49 AM
Hey Jesse

orderded the tune on thursday..........told Hanna my v as stock.....then emailed the Vin#

when should expect it. also told her the fuel here is 93-94 when i mix some toluene in it

did yo need any more info..........like a 100 octane tune( i brew my own....back from the Turbo 4 days)

you can play it safe and just go with the 94 tune.....and maybe a tune that accepts an intake

i want to keep her under warranttee for at least 3 years last name CACCAMO

jwall09
06-06-09, 09:49 AM
Just had all fluids changed to Amsoil products in my v2 by the dealer @ 1400 mi. I had W4M's performance tune installed and they never mentioned it, and not sure if they would've found out if they had checked. Most of the personnel I talked to there were not that familiar with the v2, and said that at most, they had only service a couple other 2009 copies.

So far so good ... :cool:

Rob

when you changed to Amsoil, did you notice any a difference in perf or temps? or just to keep the car healthy?

CadV
06-06-09, 11:57 AM
I saw 2-3 mpg difference when I went to Amsoil

RapidRob
06-06-09, 06:38 PM
when you changed to Amsoil, did you notice any a difference in perf or temps? or just to keep the car healthy?

Primarily to just keep the car healthy and make sure any break-in junk is cleaned out. The manual does seem to shift smoother ... :)

Rob

CoOlSlY
11-07-09, 09:02 PM
Read a lot on the wait4me tunes... I saw the 3 tunes but what are the differences between them? I understand the 3rd one when you have a pulley but what is the diff. between the min and max tune (?)

"min tune and trans"
"max tune and trans"
"pulley tune and trans"

cbloveday
11-07-09, 10:37 PM
I would venture to say spark and air fuel calibration.

Gary Wells
11-08-09, 08:05 AM
For the tranny possibly transmission line pressure and shift points.

CoOlSlY
11-08-09, 08:37 AM
So why would somebody go with the "min tune and trans"... I thought that the trans was in both but guessed one could be 91 pump gas and the other 93 or 94...