: Newbie here...tail light and CD issue

NuB
04-09-09, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone,
A convert from 4x4 world here...I needed something smoother and faster than a Wrangler on 35s :)....

I have just bought an 04 AWD. It was listed as RWD and I did bother checking underneath. Today during an oil change I discovered front axleshafts. Rats! No wonder the car's rear end would not get loose around corners. Better be more careful next time when buying used. But beggers can't be choosers and I would have taken it anyhow.

Anyway...my questions:
1) The left side blinkers flash faster when on. So I checked the front and rear lamps and teh rear tail light (outer side row of LEDs) is dead when lights on. They light up when turn signal on. Can I expect this to be the fuse or the whole light?
2) The CD is giving me a "CD Mech Error" message and I cannot load any CDs. Again, any idea if it's most likely a whole unit in need of replacement or just some glitch that can be cleared up?

And yes, I'm searching frantically in the mean time and I will get a shop manual for it. Thank you your help and for a great forum.

srx2005
04-09-09, 09:05 PM
It is my understanding that the leds in the rear lamp can not be replaced. If the rear tail light is defective, you will need to replace the entire assembly. Look on e-Bay before buying a new one from the dealer - they are expensive.

Relate27
04-09-09, 10:58 PM
I have gotten the CD ERROR thing a few times. I hate to say it but Cadillac uses a cheap arse cd player.

I have fixed mine by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then the CD player restarts itself and all works fine for a while until it happens again.

Good luck

tigerwagon
04-09-09, 11:56 PM
Hey NuB,
I too am a recent Jeep convert, 98' XJ 4x4 w/ 31's 3inch Skyjacker and too many other mods.... I looked at the Wrangler 4 door but opted for the lux of the SRX...Much nicer and faster too. The Mrs. will drive this one. Wouldn't touch the XJ unless she had no choice. Good luck with the lights.

TL

NuB
04-10-09, 12:29 AM
Thank you for the tips on the CD and lights. Shame about the light. eBay it is I guess.

Modded Cherokees are nice. Our Jeep club has quite a few but the SRX is something else. I love driving it. The V8 is not exactly economical but I bought it for the ability to pass other vehicles (for change).

Are there any performance mods for these vehicles? A chip perhaps, some exhaust? Bigger brakes?