: Virtual Advisor

hugo
04-09-09, 01:28 PM
I have been playing with the Virtual Advisor Navigation System on my TTT (Two Ton Toy, a 2008 STS). You find the destination on your confuser in the house using Map Quest and download it to the car. Then when you want to use it, you push the magic blue phone button on the rear view mirror and tell it the destination nametag you have assigned.

After a few seconds, it downloads your route to the car. Much easier than programming the Nav system inside the car and the route information seems much more up to date.

The only weird thing is the voice instructions. There are two voices giving you turn-by-turn instructions, one female and one male. The female voice only seems to use major streets while the male voice seems to know all the side streets and directs you on the shortest route. Sometimes the female voice will tell you to turn onto a main street and the male voice will tell you to continue straight, Etc.

Now if I can only figure out how to shut the female voice up - lots of luck shutting up a female - lol.

Anyway, it's something new to play with and doesn't cost anything extra but I have a question. I assume you have to have an active OnStar account because it downloads the Map Quest destination to your OnStar ID number but do you also have to have active Turn-By-Turn and/or OnStar Phone accounts?

ifmracin
04-09-09, 06:28 PM
You can turn off the voice prompts in the Nav settings.
I'm sure I've seen it in there.

hugo
04-11-09, 12:23 PM
You can turn off the voice prompts in the Nav settings.
I'm sure I've seen it in there.

I don't want to shut them both off, just the female one that always wants to route me the long way around - past the shoe store(?)