: HG blown 375 days after a $3500 repair

drsyn67
04-08-09, 07:37 PM
I have a 1998 Cadillac Eldorado. Paid to have the head gaskets repaired, and one week out of warranty the engine ran very hot and I am told it is head gaskets by a mechanic with 30 yrs exp (but not a Cadillac authorized tech). I do trust him and he isn't trying to sell me on doing the job. I was also told that it is the coolant side of the engine with the blown HG, and not the oil side (I'm not a mechanic... that's why I'm posting here). The exhaust is clear and not smoky, and seems to drip some from the tail-pipe (I was told this is the tell-tale sign that it is from the coolant side of the block).

I've reald that block sealants work wonders on some cars. I'm not going to spend another $3500 on the car... it is junk to me if the block sealant will not work. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with this product and if it was successful?

AJxtcman
04-08-09, 07:53 PM
The reason you have a Combustion Chamber leak into the cooling system is because the head bolts are LOOSE!
Nothing in a can will fix it!

Ranger
04-08-09, 08:40 PM
Probably was not repaired correctly the first time.

97EldoCoupe
04-08-09, 09:45 PM
I'm looking for an ETC with blown HGs. If you want to give up on the car let me know, if you want it fixed, first of all where are you located, secondly one week out of warranty? I'd be talking to the mechanic and see if he's reasonable- if he is he will give you a HUGE discount on doing it again, and tell him to install studs in the engine - www.studkit.com. You won't have a problem again.