: Engine wiring harness removal

Taspeed
04-08-09, 05:22 PM
Ok. I've got a 97 sls. I have EVERYTHING disconnected and ready to drop the cradle except for the electrical harness. I'm having a bit of confusion as to what to disconnect. I've read the threads about dropping the cradle, but it none of them go in to any detail about disconnecting the harness. Once I get the harness situated I should be good to go, and it only took me about 3 hours. This is not as easy as an LS1 fbody, but really isn't that far off. Thanks for any help in advance.

AJxtcman
04-08-09, 06:35 PM
Ok. I've got a 97 sls. I have EVERYTHING disconnected and ready to drop the cradle except for the electrical harness. I'm having a bit of confusion as to what to disconnect. I've read the threads about dropping the cradle, but it none of them go in to any detail about disconnecting the harness. Once I get the harness situated I should be good to go, and it only took me about 3 hours. This is not as easy as an LS1 fbody, but really isn't that far off. Thanks for any help in advance.

Under the dash on the right side. You will need to disconnect 2 connectors and a vacuum line and then pull it through to the engine side.

Taspeed
04-08-09, 06:40 PM
nice. thanks.

Taspeed
04-08-09, 08:31 PM
thanks. what about the harness coming into the fuse blocks on the driver side? does any of that need to be pulled loose?

Mark C
04-08-09, 09:06 PM
Unbolt the battery cable from the lower left (as your looking at it from the front) fuse block, and pull the fuse block just above that connection out of its bracket (bend the 4 tabs at the corners out and lift the fuse block out). One fuse block goes with the engine, two stay in the car. You also need to disconnect the connectors from the two relays to the right of the fuse blocks. If the BMPV is staying in the car, don't forget to disconnect its connector, and the single ground connection on the back of it. Disconnect the pressure and temperature switches from the A/C line along the back of the firewall, the brake cylinder electrical connectors, the transmission shift selector connector and depending on where your breaking the exhaust remove the connector from the post converter O2 sensor, and remove the clamps and pull the harness back to the cradle.

Taspeed
04-08-09, 10:28 PM
thanks guys. that got it. I'll drop it out in the morning. I hate cold.