: Help installing head unit in 77 deville

Tzd1310
04-08-09, 03:47 PM
I'm trying to install a kenwood kdc-138 head unit in my deville. Has anybody done this or knows how it's done? I can't find any instructions online any help is great thanks

jayoldschool
04-08-09, 07:03 PM
This one?

http://soundcreationsonline.com/zencart/images/KDC138.jpg

Well, square peg in a round hole...

It can be done. You just need to be brave! You will destroy the center dash piece, but if that doesn't bother you, it is easy.

Remove the center dash piece. There are a bunch of screws to take out, and you need to pull the vents to get at a couple, too. Then, take out the old radio. Take the mounting sleeve of the Kenwood, trace the opening so that the hole will be centered, and use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the opening. Slide in the mounting sleeve, and bend the tabs so it is locked in place. Now you need to wire. You can buy an adapter that plugs into the stock harness that you then wire to your new Kenwood's harness, or you can cut off the stock connectors and wire it directly. Your choice. Let your experience and your future plans for the car decide. GM wiring colours haven't changed since the dawn of time, so you will find what wire goes where with a quick google. Reinstall the center dash piece with the wiring coming through the new hole. Plug in the harness, then slide the head unit into the slot. Snap the trim ring in place. Done!

Does that help? :D

Tzd1310
04-08-09, 07:42 PM
thanks for that, that's what I needed to know. Im trying to be gentile with the dash piece cause im sure this is the first time in 30 years itz been removed. Now just another thing, I took out 4 screws at the bottom, 2 in the blue lights and 2 more underneath. Where are these other screws? The bottom third has a little give but the stereo is still in place so what am I missing?

jayoldschool
04-08-09, 08:13 PM
This is a 77:
http://www.tedasaurus.com/flt_dash.JPG

See the vent? Look on the right side. That is the pivot. You need to pull that out a little to unlock the vent, then you can pull it out. Then, there will be vertical screws up inside the vent that need to come out. Also, pull the volume, tuner, balance, bass/treble knobs off the stereo. I believe there will be nuts on the radio shafts that have to come off. The stereo will stay behind when the dash trim comes out. Probably some screws down in the ashtray too (I haven't taken one out for awhile).

Have you considered keeping the stock look, and putting the Kenwood in the glove compartment?

Tzd1310
04-08-09, 09:32 PM
Jay thats Genius! It would be so much easier to just keep the head unit in the glove box although not ideal. if you'd care to enlighten me once again about how I'd do that that would be awsome. ill post some pics tommorow, hopefully this will be complete if your able to get back to me soon. Thanks!

jayoldschool
04-09-09, 12:12 AM
Jay thats Genius!

lol, that's a new one.

If I were doing glovebox install, I would just unplug the wiring from the back of the factory radio, plug in an adapter harness, and run that into the glovebox. Some good heavy duty velcro will stop the head unit from sliding around. Get the kind with double sided tape. Of course, replace all the speakers. Let us know when you want to take the dash off to replace those speakers... I have pics for you...

Oh, btw, you need Metra 70-1677-1 (the adapter harness). Ask your local stereo shop, or just order it online (they are dirt cheap).

Or, if you are handy with a jigsaw, take out the glovebox liner completely, and go to a plastics supply company and get a piece of black textured plastic. Trim it to fit, and cut the hole for the Kenwood. It would look pretty slick when you drop the door. You would have to figure out to mount it, of course.

Take pics of your install - it will help others. Hmmm... I have an extra Pioneer headunit and an Ipod control... maybe I'll copy you :D

Tzd1310
04-12-09, 01:59 PM
Finally after a few days of painstaking work its finally done.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww352/tzd1310/0410091646.jpg

Unfortunately i didnt have a camera at the time to take pictures of all the steps but i can answer any questions if someone needs help.

So hows it look?

Tzd1310
04-12-09, 02:01 PM
Finally after a few days of painstaking work its finally done.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww352/tzd1310/0410091646.jpg

Unfortunately i didnt have a camera at the time to take pictures of all the steps but i can answer any questions if someone needs help. the toughest part of this was mounting the unit but once i got the old one out it wasnt too hard.

So hows it look?

hogdaddy
04-15-09, 01:14 PM
looks good! What's next?:thumbsup: