: Help!!!

clint b
04-08-09, 12:10 PM
I have a 2005 SRX and have 2 problems:

First; about once every other day, when sitting at a stop light, the engine will start to sputter and my Check Engine Light will come on. I took this to the dealer and was told that my Throttle Body needed cleaned. Sooooo, $168later and it is still having the same problems. I went to a higher grade of fuel, checked the oil, but still can't solve the problem.

Second; After filling up with a full tank of fuel, when I start the engine, the starter will continue to run for about 6-7 seconds after the engine has started running...

Are these known issues? And if so, what's the fix?

clint b
04-08-09, 03:56 PM
Just an FYI...I read the next thread in reference to Engine Chuggle at Highway Speeds and mine was ALSO doing that, but checked and discovered that I was low on oil. So that problem is cured. This is the same type of chuggle but will almost cause the engine to die while sitting at the light. I'll get the Code on it tonight and post it.

King3244
04-09-09, 01:43 AM
Just for clarification....how do you know that the starter is still running? I am assuming that you can hear it? Obviously this is not a good situation....the starter should kick out with the higher rpms when the engine fires. If it is indeed engaged it will fry it pretty quickly....

clint b
04-09-09, 11:29 AM
I can still hear the starter engaging for about 5 seconds after the car turns over. I identified the Engine Error Code last night, but of course I forgot my cell phone today (where I stored it) So I'll post it later.

clint b
04-10-09, 11:54 AM
Okay, the code is PO496, which I googled and found that it is potentially a leaking purge solenoid. Does this sound correct and if so, is this something that I can replace or does it need to go back to the shop?

mthake
08-14-09, 10:48 AM
I'm having this same issue now, has anyone found a repair for this code PO 496?

mthake
08-19-09, 03:05 PM
a new symptom has arose that I didn't even think about the first time. When we fill up the gas tank, and the car is turned off, its a real bear to try and get started again. I didn't notice this, because I usually don't shut off my engine when I'm filling her up, but my wife does, that's why this didn't strike me as a symptom as she hasn't filled for a couple weeks until yesterday, when she had problems starting it again:bighead:

louisn
08-21-09, 09:06 AM
a new symptom has arose that I didn't even think about the first time. When we fill up the gas tank, and the car is turned off, its a real bear to try and get started again. I didn't notice this, because I usually don't shut off my engine when I'm filling her up, but my wife does, that's why this didn't strike me as a symptom as she hasn't filled for a couple weeks until yesterday, when she had problems starting it again:bighead:
I thought that one should shut off your car when filling with gas. Safety FIRST> But, I usually light up a Marlboro..:bomb::hide:

BobbyV
08-26-09, 01:15 PM
Your symptoms experienced (sputter or irregular idle at a stop sign and the hard starting after fueling) all tie in with P0496 EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge. The EVAP system reduces air pollution by collecting fuel vapors in a charcoal-filled canister. Once the engine is running and warm, engine vacuum pulls the stored fuel vapors from the canister (purged) and adds them to the air/fuel mixture entering the engine. While these purged vapors will produce a richer mixture, above a certain RPM they cause little impact. At the lower idle RPM, the richer mixture will impact idle stability. It's difficult to restart after fueling because the canister is saturated with fuel vapors which creates a rich mixture and the warm engine desires a leaner mixture for starting. The purge solenoid is covered under your extended emissions warranty that may still be in force. Check with your dealer or call the Cadillac Customer Care number provided in your owners manual.

mthake
09-07-09, 02:24 PM
all fixed, :alchi: purge valve was replaced, $60 later at dealer, good deal:bouncy: and runs so much better!

Professor Wizard
09-08-09, 04:58 PM
So MTake... The actual Problem was a purge valve, which was a $60 item. How much total did you spend with the dealership wasting money on things that were NOT the problem!

NOTE: I always thought, that it should become the Shop Problem - once a diagnosis is made, and customer agrees to pay - if shops assessment is wrong, the shop should do what ever is necessary after that to correct the problem - without further charge to the customer.

I see and hear of so many shops jerking people around with repair bills for crap that should have been see-spot-run stuff. You just KNOW the shops are padding the repair bills buy doing stuff that won't fix the problem.

OK... end of my rant.

That shop should have reimbursed you any monies you spent on the problem, but did not fix the problem.