: Just some helpful info... I found brake pads with ZERO BRAKE DUST!!!

DTS_BOI
04-08-09, 10:51 AM
I kept trying different pads until I hit the jackpot!! I went to AutoZone and got their highest quality ceramic pads. They were about 69 bucks I think. Anyways, they are by far the GREATEST PADS I HAVE EVER HAD...

Seriously guys, these pads stop great and have ZERO BRAKE DUST!!! When I say ZERO, I mean absolutely NONE AT ALL. I have taken 100 mile round trips to Ohio, and when I got home my wheels looked brand new. Im so impressed with these pads that I thought I would share with everyone my findings.

I tried about 4 different pads, and all seemed to have brake dust. These however, have Zero dust at all....

Enjoy!

BaTu
04-08-09, 11:45 AM
That sounds Great! Brake dust in Such an annoyance BUT,,,,,, How do they STOP? ;) (after all, it IS the Most important thing brakes do!)

Even Hawk will tell you their "Street Performance" pads will stop significantly better than their Ceramics but produce a little more dust. For me, "dust" shouldn't be the Only criteria.....

DTS_BOI
04-08-09, 12:22 PM
Great question.. I did a few test panic stops and stuff when I first got the pads put on. I really tried to work the pads hard to see if they would "dust" easily. After about 30 minutes of aggressive city driving, the wheels had no dust at all. I even ran my finger across the chrome wheels and found no dust on my finger at all.

In regards to the stopping power, I did not find any difference between the stopping power of these ceramics, and the factory pads. They seem to have signifficant less braking fade, but the stopping aggressiveness seems to be the same. When my Dad drove the car, he did not know the pads were changed with ceramics until I told him...

The only downfall I have discovered is that the pads work best when they are warmed up. I live in Michigan, and the past few mornings have been 20 degrees or less. They stop best after about 5 minutes of city driving during my commute to work once they have warmed up a bit.

In the rain, the pads work very strong. Once again, one cold rainy morning I noticed the first 2-5 minutes of cold wet driving that the pads seemed "weaker". Once they warmed up, everything was perfect again. Also, please keep in mind that when I say "weaker" I do not mean horrible. I simply mean less strong than when they are warm.

All in all, I am very happy. I went through about 4 sets of pads and I was disappointed with all of them. These proved to be the best. Im putting them on al of my cars now, especially since they are fairly cheap and easy to install.

sweetdivel
04-08-09, 01:02 PM
hi;
did you bye them online or from a store?
can give me a website plz?
thnx

DTS_BOI
04-08-09, 03:04 PM
I just went to the nearest Autozone store in my area. Autozone has the pads in stock. If your store does not have them in stock, they will order them for you for free. They have multiple pads, so make sure you ask for their "highest" quality ceramic pad. Their top quality ceramic is only around $60 bucks or so. I cant think of the name brand off hand, but I remember they were Autozones highest quality and most expensive ceramic pad.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help...

05+CTS+V
04-08-09, 08:02 PM
Was the brand 'Performance Friction' in a blue box? Thats usually autozone's top of the line carbon metallic pad.

Do you have JE5 or JL9. I don't think Autozone has them for the JE5 systems...I thought I remembered looking there.

I'm in the same boat with hating the factory pads. I'm leaning towards going with the Hawk pads.

Interested in any other info you have on them.

DTS_BOI
04-09-09, 11:45 AM
They caryy both brake pads. If you have the performance pads, just tell them that you have 4 wheel ABS and they will get the pads for you. I dont remember the exact name brand of the pads, but I do remember they were their most expensive ceramics at about 69 bucks or so. I know for a fact that my store had pads for both brake systems however...

Good luck!

luciano23
04-09-09, 03:20 PM
thanks alot for the info

Kaluminatius
04-13-09, 05:28 PM
How much did it cost for a full set of brake pads?

coati
04-13-09, 06:57 PM
It's my understanding that the best brake pads to consider in terms of stopping ability first and dust second would be either Hawk (HPS) or EBC (Red Stuff).
They are premium pads along with a premium price (around $200+) for front and rears.

BaTu
04-13-09, 07:45 PM
Check out RaceShopper they were the cheapest I found for Hawk pads (unfortunately Hawk doesn't make JE5 rear pads...)

cocaines
04-13-09, 11:50 PM
yea i realized that today when i order mine from tirerack.com, so i just order the front JE5 and a rear set from another ceramic brake company that had similar ratings on tirerack. since front brakes do most of the work i wasnt really to concerned about mixin and matchin... i should get everything thursday and everything installed on friday. so i can test them out with my 22s to see the major difference they make with stopping power and dust... they OEM pads was ruining my chrome wheels with baked on dusted...

Regulator
04-14-09, 02:50 PM
The ceramic don't seem to have as much bite as the Raybestos semi-metallic they replaced. The dust is very low compared to that of the Semi-metallic and much easier to remove.
Either set up is plenty of brake for the STS. The fronts with the dual piston design are mammoth.

clyde714
05-17-09, 12:37 PM
Ummmm...... I installed Autozone's "best ceramic" on my SRX about 6 weeks ago and they have been the dirtiest, most dust-producing set of pads I've ever installed on a car (and we're talking about 50 brake jobs over 25 years on who knows how many cars I've worked on)! I'm shopping today for a replacement set of pads.... May try Pep Boys "ProStop" brand (which is think is made by Raybestos); not sure if I'll go with semi-metalic or ceramic yet. I can tell you the OEM pads on my SRX were excellent - not a speck of dust in sight... unfortunately @ 19K the front right rotor starting scoring so I had to get it turned and decided on doing the pads at the same time.... Needless to say, I'm really upset with Autozone's pads. I won't ever use them again!

Lifer
05-17-09, 05:04 PM
Pep Boys ceramic on the front, Akebono ceramic on the back. Dustless, noisless, stops on a dime. 2006 STS V8 1SG JE5.

trackbait
05-18-09, 12:56 PM
I ran Hawk pads on my C5 vette for years. Stopping was amazing and the dust was minimal - could always just dust off the chrome wheels easily. I considered ceramic but I also tracked the car and was strongly advised not to use ceramics while on the twisty tracks. Heat and boiling brake fluid was to much a risk.

Given the weight of the STS, I would be reluctant on using Ceramic on any type of agressive braking conditions or high speed stops. The Hawk pads are best all-around IMO. Seeding in new brake pads to rotors properly can have a huge effect on the performance and wear.

rnkath08
07-29-09, 11:34 PM
Thanks for putting all this info out there. My 06 (17,500 miles) was making an odd rear sound (turned out it was the warning clips on the pads says the dealer) so I ordered the Hawk fronts (street performance, not ceramic) and another set that the guy at RaceShopper says is really comprable for the back(can't remember the brand now). On the one hand I'm eager to have better than the OEMs and much less dust, but heck what did they do to the car to end up with pads already being shot???
Turns out the Race shop is only about 45 min from my house, so thanks to the person who sent me there.
On a separate rant, somehow I missed the $87 dealer oil change cost, ouch! Anyone in my area on vacation want to come teach me how to do it myself??? And the service guy at the shop wanted me to pay $350 for all around pads ...holy crap....mental note...not so much at the dealer....

dhemrick
07-30-09, 03:40 PM
I second the recommendation for Hawk brake pads. I put a set on my STS-V and they have been by far the best pads I have used. Great stopping power and virtually no dust.

I ordered mine from Luke Butler at Lindsay Cadillac.

Charles Warren
07-03-13, 07:55 AM
Ummmm...... I installed Autozone's "best ceramic" on my SRX about 6 weeks ago and they have been the dirtiest, most dust-producing set of pads I've ever installed on a car (and we're talking about 50 brake jobs over 25 years on who knows how many cars I've worked on)! I'm shopping today for a replacement set of pads.... May try Pep Boys "ProStop" brand (which is think is made by Raybestos); not sure if I'll go with semi-metalic or ceramic yet. I can tell you the OEM pads on my SRX were excellent - not a speck of dust in sight... unfortunately @ 19K the front right rotor starting scoring so I had to get it turned and decided on doing the pads at the same time.... Needless to say, I'm really upset with Autozone's pads. I won't ever use them again!i have the dg which look like the old morse ceramics and my car has more dust with those. but i had them on my 97 concours and had no dust and i had vogues so you know the dust clings to those naturally. but i have basic 12 inch jl9 sts and noticed the pads for je5 are thinner and made differently

ddalder
07-03-13, 05:58 PM
I'm all for no dust, but let's face it.. something has to give. I would suggest that if "normal" pads will eat away at rotors, something that produces "no" dust isn't wearing as fast and will eat rotors even faster. I'd like to know how soon people start replacing rotors with these pads. Personally, I'm fine with a middle of the road compromise as long as they don't squeal. I wash my car every 2-3 days so dust isn't a really big problem for me.

Guy.Seminerio
07-03-13, 08:41 PM
I've always been a hawk guy but for what it's worth, I was just reading an article on the 2014 Porsche Cayman S in Car and Driver. Here's what it says word for word.
"Aesthetic concerns have their limits at Porsche, though. Credit Stuttgart for not submitting to customer demand for less brake dust and thus, cleaner wheels. Fade-resistant stoppers produce a lot of dust; there is no way around it. If clean shoes are high on your OCD meter, Porsche will, for $845, paint your wheels the same as ours, in a near-brake-dust-matching shade it calls platinum. It's a small price for wheels that thoroughly camouflage filth"
By no means do I take what the automotive press says as law, but I personally have no reason to believe otherwise in this case as I haven't received professional advice that says otherwise, nor have I had much experience experimenting with this myself.

----------

Of course most aren't taking their cars to the track so fade isn't much of a concern. That being said, coming back from that drive with absolutely no brake dust is pretty impressive.

EChas3
07-04-13, 12:39 AM
I agree with DD; there are always trade-offs. Wiping down wheels takes all of 10 minutes as long as you don't let the dust form sedimentary rock between washes.

dkozloski
07-04-13, 01:15 PM
Cast Iron, as it wears, produces some of the most obnoxious dust going. Because it contains so much carbon it is similar to pure graphite. It makes no difference what kind of brake pads you have. If the brakes discs wear you are going to have gray cast iron dust on your pretty wheels.

MoistCabbage
07-04-13, 03:03 PM
Ceramic pads are easier on rotors, less rotor dust. The majority of. Brake dust is pad dust, otherwise the rotors would wear as fast as the pads, and everyone's wheels would be reddish brown when dirty in humid or rainy weather. Cast iron rusts real fast.

Want to see rotor dust on the rims? Let the pad material wear completely down :sneaky: .