: 96 Fleetwood PCM died?

delzy
04-08-09, 02:28 AM
The car was running fine when parked. It sat for a couple of weeks. When I went to start it, it fired, sputtered for about 2 seconds then died. I assumed it puked the fuel pump, but when I left the key on and went back by the fuel tank, I heard it turn on momentarily.

I thought, "Hmmm, I'll try to pull the codes with my wal-mart scan tool." Usually when I hook it up, it powers up and then when I turn on the key, it checks the codes. This time, no power. Turn key, still no power.

So far, I have checked the fuses in the panel under the hood. the PCM and Engine fuses seem look fine.

I'm sort of confused what to do next. So here are my questions:

Are there any other fuses to check?
Where is the PCM located? - Under the passenger Kick panel?
Could a connector just fall out of the PCM?
Have you ever seen a scan tool fail to power up from the OBD-II connector?

Any other tips?

TIA.

75sled
04-08-09, 10:33 AM
Not sure about these, but my 03 GMC Yukon did the same thing and it was the power outlet (sigarette lighter) fuse. It was blown and I guess woudln't supply power to the port. Once i replaced the fuse I was able to read the codes. Might be worth a try.

delzy
04-08-09, 11:47 AM
Not sure about these, but my 03 GMC Yukon did the same thing and it was the power outlet (sigarette lighter) fuse. It was blown and I guess woudln't supply power to the port. Once i replaced the fuse I was able to read the codes. Might be worth a try.Yes the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. When replaced, the scan tool read again. Now it's just a matter of figuring out why the car won't start. I'm now charging the battery. Thanks.

jayoldschool
04-08-09, 12:14 PM
Carefully clean, and lubricate the battery terminals. Use a baking soda and water solution to clean the terminals, then protect them with dilectric grease. These cars are really sensitive to corroded battery connections. I have had my SS die in the middle of an intersection and it has restarted by simply tightening the battery connection.