: ?'s on ex-rentals and general STS ownership

Bear67
04-07-09, 04:14 PM
I'm currently in the market for a car and an STS is on my short list.

I've come across a few ex rental '08 RWD STS that are equipt with luxury pkg w/Nav, but not the package with the HID headlamps. The salesperson at one of the dealerships was nice enough to print me a copy of the build sheet, which showed several specific Avis build codes on the sheet. My concern is that these cars are not just regualr STS's that were used as rentals, but specific COPO or fleet build vehicles that may have certain parts or concessions made during assembly to cut the cost the the rental company (since they're only concerned that it lasts 10 to 20K miles). Does anyone know if this is true?

One part that seems absent on all the examples is the strut tower brace for the front suspension. Is this suppose to be present on all STS models or just on the performance or AWD optioned cars?

My other concern is in overall vehicle reliablity. My intentions are to keep this vehicle for several years, so I was wondering if there any maintenance or quality issues that I should consider before purchase? For example I use to have a Tahoe that burned through brakes and rotors every 20K miles.

I appreciate any advice or input that someone can offer.

EChas3
04-08-09, 12:03 PM
My wife likes her ex-rental STS. She couldn't get the dealer to CPO it so she bought a Zurich Warranty. She had a bit of trouble getting the dealer to honor/resolve an IOU on sunroof wind noise but their body shop improved it a lot. (She had to talk them into a test-ride in another car to prove that her car's wind noise was excessive!)

I still think she got a great deal (< $30,000 with < 12,000 mi. before warranty) a year ago on a 2007.

cooncat
04-08-09, 03:11 PM
I have an ex-rental car myself. Aside from the few minor faults I had at the beginning, the car is a great car. My dealer, Ed Morse Cadillac in Tampa has been wonderful. The car came pre-certified and anytime it needed any type of warrantee work, no matter how minor, they gave me a loaner car. That is weird about the deletion of the tower brace. Mine came with all the standard stuff and it was owned by Hertz.

Enjoy the STS. It is a wonderful car. I much prefer it to the CTS and I have driven them as loaners.

Lifer
04-09-09, 12:57 PM
One part that seems absent on all the examples is the strut tower brace for the front suspension. Is this suppose to be present on all STS models or just on the performance or AWD optioned cars?

I have a 2006 V8 RWD and no tower brace. I have never seen one in an STS.

Bear67
04-10-09, 01:29 AM
This is the support I've seen on some. I've done some more research and I haven't found them on the STS V8 models. So far it's only been on a V6 model, and not consistent with them either, and on STS-V's. It might just be a performace option? Not sure.

Thanks everyone for the input!

ROF08STS
04-10-09, 11:43 AM
The support bar comes with the 1SC V6 and the 1SG V8, alonng with the 18" wheels etc. etc.