: Run out of gas?

pjbizjak
04-06-09, 09:17 PM
Has anyone run out of gas with their N* STS? I would like to see just how far my 07 STS 1SG N* will go on a full tank of gas and just how far I can go after the low fuel warning light comes on. Of course I'll carry a 2 gal can of gas for backup. Just want to know if running out of gas causes any problems and if just buy putting gas in it would start right up?

mbnv992
04-06-09, 10:13 PM
I ALWAYS refill when the needle is @ 1/4. IMO, it doesn't make any sence to just "see how far your car can go" before you run out of gas. IMO, if the fuel light goes on, you've already waited WAY too long.

EChas3
04-06-09, 10:57 PM
Once probably won't hurt your fuel pump. Many of us would like to know if you see two different warnings. Please post your findings!

Aurora5000
04-07-09, 09:55 AM
I think the Low Fuel lite comes on with 2 gallons left , but it could be less. On my wife's CTS low fuel lite comes on with 1 gallon left. Happened last week. Her tank holds 17 1/2 gallons and I get past 16 gallons when I fill from from Low Fuel. FYI, the electronic readout of how much fuel you have used is usually not correct. On mine saying I have used 10 gallons, it is usually more than 11 gallons I put back into the tank, and I fill to the very top each time. Good luck in your quest...

Regulator
04-07-09, 10:20 AM
There are two warnings, the first with 40 miles left to go and a second warning that displays a large gas pump on the display and a chime. Im not sure how many miles left to go after that, however, it can't be more than 20.

blunted
04-07-09, 11:05 AM
Wait.. where have I seen this before...

TuEdU_lrtZk

lreddiablo
04-07-09, 05:16 PM
I think that light comes on about 1.5 gallons left. Came on a few days ago, still drove about 15 more miles, filled the tank to the top and got 16.3 in. The tank is a little over 17.

Bear67
04-07-09, 06:08 PM
You do run the chance of buring out the fuel pump. Happened to me once in older Impala.

bigTYME
04-07-09, 06:51 PM
It's funny you ask. I just ran out of gas in mine about 2 weeks ago. Really pushed it to the limit. The final message says "Reduced Engine Power". The engine started to rattle a little and the gas pedal wouldn't work, so I pulled over and shut it down before it completely ran out of gas. It was the first time I've ever ran out of gas. Good thing my house was a mile away.

I wish I had counted how far I had gone that day. I'm guessing, based on what I remember of my drive that day, just about 60 miles after the light first came on.

sts003
04-09-09, 08:43 PM
I have a 2005 and ran out of gas once. After putting gas in, it started right up with no issues. It turns out there was a recall to correct improper read outs on amount of gas remaining. Dealer took care of it.

sburgin
04-10-09, 02:03 PM
I'll save you the trouble of testing - the answer is "the STS low fuel warning really means low fuel"...there is very little wiggle room

/spoken as one who talked himself into thinking he could get to the next exit and ended up hearing an earful from the wife and daughter as they walked the weeds along the highway !:crying2:

stevenriz
04-30-09, 05:23 PM
that's funny. I think my gauge is off. on E and I put in just about 14.5 gallons so I think I can get further with it....

EChas3
04-30-09, 07:46 PM
When my gauge pointer is on O, the low fuel warning will come on (or already has) and it can take 16 gallons by the time the pump shuts off automatically! Most STS owners are finding a minimum of 'grace margin'.

cnotesonly
04-30-09, 08:04 PM
My low fuel light came on and within minutes I was at the gas station and pumped in 16 gallons.

z06bigbird
05-01-09, 11:41 AM
I ALWAYS refill when the needle is @ 1/4. IMO, it doesn't make any sence to just "see how far your car can go" before you run out of gas. IMO, if the fuel light goes on, you've already waited WAY too long.

Totally agree. Fuel actually lubricates the fuel pump. What happens when any metal part has no lubrication?? Noise, and eventual failure.

If anyone wants to try driving on an empty tank, go for it. R & R is likely about $500--$600. That will help the economy.

EChas3
05-01-09, 08:42 PM
Totally agree. Fuel actually lubricates the fuel pump. What happens when any metal part has no lubrication?? Noise, and eventual failure.

If anyone wants to try driving on an empty tank, go for it. R & R is likely about $500--$600. That will help the economy.

I 'may' have convinced my wife of this truth. I still working on her 'top-off' routine. LOL:helpless: