: Volt Gauge fluctuation 2006 EXT?

dssrocks
04-05-09, 01:50 AM
Hi, just purchased a 2006 EXT, I find the volt gauge is over 14 volts steady for a little while after starting, then it will drop down to about 12 volts or so. I know with other vehicles the gauge does not normally change and always are over 14 volts. Is it normal for it to drop below 14 volts or is the fluctuation a sign that the alternator is starting to go? If it was compared to a gas gauge, it would change from 5/8 after first staring then down to 3/8.

thanks in advance.

bigksone
04-05-09, 01:26 PM
Checked mine today. It fluctuates slightly but never went below 14.

pcguy760
04-06-09, 02:11 PM
Mine does that every once in a while. It mostly happens when I am at standstill just idling (at a red light, etc.) the voltage gauge will drop down to 12V and jump up to 14V again randomly. I sometimes even notice the lights dimming slightly. I am suspecting it might be the regulator on the alternator going bad / dirty brushes on the regulator causing bad contact with the field coil in the alternator / bad, loose or corroded charge wire or just an entire alternator going bad.

Now I heard some vehicles cut the alternator off to save gas, etc. but I am not sure if our generation Escalades do that... anyone knows?

luxurylife33
04-06-09, 07:27 PM
sounds like a dead battery, where the alternator is being the only source of power. Believe it or not, the battery acts as a capacitor when the car is in use, to keep the voltage level stable. If you see the voltage going up as the RPM's are increased, your battery is about to retire!

Small fluctuations are normal, but it shouldn't be jumping, if thats what your wondering.

pcguy760
04-06-09, 08:01 PM
Hmmm luxurylife you got me wondering now cos they put a brand new battery in, right in front of me when I bought it...maybe I have a loose connection besides a alternator that *might* be defective or heck it might be both lol.

luxurylife33
04-06-09, 08:07 PM
bring the battery to an Autozone, they test it for free!

dssrocks
04-08-09, 01:31 AM
Mine jumps around quite a bit whenit is over 14 vobslts but once it drops to around 12 it seems to stay constant, revving the engine doesnt seem to matter. I think it is the alternator or builtin voltage regulator, my problem is I have after market brake control, amp and subs, and I am still under warranty so I am expecting some grief from the GM dealer.

pcguy760
04-08-09, 09:46 PM
Be ready cos 9/10 they gonna blame your stereo just so they can get out of it...

dssrocks
04-15-09, 12:25 AM
Update: The truck has been in the dealer for a couple of days, they finally found there was a problem, as the truck will only do this when the engine is hot. They have ordered a Battery Control Module. Will keep everyone updated on the results.

pcguy760
04-15-09, 02:33 AM
Wow never heard of a "Battery Control Module" - does this come in all the 02 - 06 Models cos mine is an 02 and it is doing exactly what your's was doing BUT it does it even when the engine is cold and then it does it randomly. I know this cannot be right because I noticed sometimes it makes the idle rough for a second or two... guess I will have to figure it out...

dssrocks
04-19-09, 01:45 AM
The battery Control Module is only on 2005 and newer trucks. That was not the problem, the truck still does it after driving for a 1/2 hour or so. I am not going to bring it back to the dealer until it does this on a more consistant basis. Will post back when the problem is FINALLY solved.

jordan00escalade
04-19-09, 03:07 PM
Mine does the same.. No specific time, or pattern to the decrease in volts either. Just randomly it will drop down below the half way mark, and just rise back to 14 on it's own. I'll take my battery to autozone. I have an additional aftermarket headunit along with my factory nav unit and a drop down monitor for the rear. I'll post my results in a few days.. 2006 Escalade (non EXT ESV)

jordan00escalade
04-21-09, 11:26 PM
Autozone told me that my battery tested out as "good." He tested the alternator as well, and told me it is charging properly. Sounds normal to me.

pcguy760
04-23-09, 03:15 AM
Where is the battery control module located and is it on all 02 - 06?

TNTSS
04-26-09, 02:17 AM
sounds like a dead battery, where the alternator is being the only source of power. Believe it or not, the battery acts as a capacitor when the car is in use, to keep the voltage level stable. If you see the voltage going up as the RPM's are increased, your battery is about to retire!

Small fluctuations are normal, but it shouldn't be jumping, if thats what your wondering.

Yeah that is correct.... I get the same issue, and I thought it was the regulator about to go, but then logic came into the picture and I replaced the battery and have been good since steady about 13.9-14.5Vdc. :cool2:

pcguy760
04-26-09, 10:10 AM
Well the dealer replaced my battery with the cheapest battery he could find (autozone brand) since the old one died a day after I bought the vehicle - hmmm - I wonder if it is that darn battery although it is "new", but you know how cheapy stuff can be. I was thinking of replacing it with Optima Yellow since I got a big stereo system. I have used Optima in my SPL Bass vehicle before and these are one of the best batteries money can buy although they are darn expensive but you know the saying "You get what you pay for" lol.

dssrocks
04-26-09, 11:49 AM
Where is the battery control module located and is it on all 02 - 06?

It is on the negative battery cable near the battery connection. I was the battery control modules are only on units 2005 and newer.

dssrocks
04-26-09, 11:57 AM
Yeah that is correct.... I get the same issue, and I thought it was the regulator about to go, but then logic came into the picture and I replaced the battery and have been good since steady about 13.9-14.5Vdc. :cool2:

I wish that was the case on mine. The strange thing to all this in my case is when the truck is charging less than 13 volts if I just shut it off and then start it up again the gauge will read fine 14+ volts. It is still doing it but I am going to wait and hope it does this more consistantly before warranty is over as periodic problems like this are never easy for the dealer to diagnose.

ewill3rd
04-27-09, 08:01 AM
If you see a black device around one of the battery cables with some small wires going to it then this is a normal condition.
The units with the battery control module monitor a lot of conditions and when conditions dictate the charging system is given a break. You still have plenty of power but running the system at full bore trying to keep that battery voltage over 14 will start cooking stuff.

I can't find the bulletin right now but I know I read something about this condition.

If it is over 12, the battery light is not on, and the truck starts regularly stop looking at the gage and watch the road. ;)

pcguy760
06-11-09, 03:46 AM
Hey just thought I would let you guys know how I fixed my voltage fluctuation issues - this was so simple and I am surprised it work and has not failed for the past few weeks so far!

All I did was disconnect the plug that goes into the alternator - sprayed it with MAF Sensor cleaner (this stuff cleans it up and dries up without the need for wiping), then I took off the main power wire, cleaned it up nice and good with a small wire brush and then the MAF cleaner spray, then cleaned up the little red box in which the wires go and then I cleaned up both battery posts.

After that, I sprayed some WD40 in the alternator main plug, around the main power connection bolt and some inside the alternator where the regulator sits, etc. Started it up and no more fluctautions no matter what I do!! Hope this works for some other members!

T-Giv
07-13-10, 02:30 AM
I'm getting some serious fluctuations in my truck and sometimes when I'm idling the idle will drop down to 500 revs like the motor is going to die. Then it kicks back up to 750, all while the lights are flickering on the dash. Bad battery? Alternator? Sorry to dig up an old thread but it's better to search rather than start yet another new thread. Thanks for any tips!